Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a basic package 6i three weeks ago here in SoCal. My sister flew in from Kansas City for a visit and wanted to drive the new ride. I'm a 32 year old construction worker and she's a 43 year old successful businesswoman in corporate America. She has a history of wrecking vehicles - at least 3 of them to my knowledge and a lot of accidents. Once when she was a teenager she had accidentally backed over an almond tree in the front yard with her VW bug.

Perhaps I was thinking that she had become more cautious over the years so I let her take the car out to the store. She was gone for a long time and when she came back she didn't mention anything. The next morning (today) I'm walking out to the car and happen to glance at the front end only to see a huge scrape about 2 feet wide running from the license plate, down under the bumper, and underneath the vehicle. Upon closer inspection it appears that the car collided with a heavy, unforgiving object... perhaps an earthen embankment or something of the sort. Aside from the massive scrape, the bumper cover and grill is punctured and split in various places.

I asked my sister if she happened to run over anything, and she said "no." Right before I let her take the car out I had detailed the exterior so I know it happened while she was driving it. I asked her repeatedly in a variety of ways that allowed her the opportunity to save face - "did you feel anything unusual that perhaps you may have overlooked while driving..." etc. She adamantly denies any involvement, but looking at the size of the damage, she had to have known. This wasn't a mere pothole or concrete parking barrier. She collided with a hard object that was at least 18" off the ground and at least 2 feet wide. Maybe I should call the cops and ask them if they had any reports of a hit and run... lol.

So I'm taking it in to the dealership so they can assess the damage and also do some new car adjustments. They need to raise up the headlights and straighten out my dual exhausts. One of my exhausts is lower and sticking out about 2 inches farther than the other - it looks like shit from the back. I'm not sure how the factory could have screwed that up, but somehow they did.

Other than that, I love the car. The engine gets a little spicy around 3k rpms. I got turned on to Mazda about 16 years ago when my father had bought a 626. It had a little 4 cyl. in there, but it really hauled ass. I think that engine was stronger than my current Mazda 6 engine as far as having a fatter powerband. The car finally died at 14 years old and 300k+ miles on the original engine. All he ever had to do was change the oil every 3k, an occasional belt here and there, put gas in it and go. In some ways I mourn the fact that Ford got involved with Mazda, but regardless, I really like the Mazda styling and they seem to be doing better than how they were in the late 90s. Now I'm just rambling and wondering if I should ever invite the sister over for another visit. Probably not.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Damn sorry about the ride! i got my bumper keyed like a year ago and was furious, but that happened at the grocery store and not by a family member. Welcome to the site though and hope you get that taken care of soon, you got a good car 8)

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
damn 43 and very irresponsible....how did she become a businesswoman???

·
Registered
347 Posts
Businesswomen are rich, ask her to pay!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts