Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've already done the wheels, tint and clear bra.
I'm done with exterior mods for now (more later).

I've got about $1,000 to spend and I'm looking for the most bang for my buck.

I'm thinking
TMIC ($550)
CPE Intake ($300)
CPE Engine Mount ($150)

OR
CPE Intake ($300)
CPE Exhaust ($700)

Which of these do you think I will notice the most power gains?
Can we blindly take the manufacturers dyno numbers and just add them up for a total power increase?
Seems unreasonable to expect 30whp from an intake and exhaust upgrade. Is this a realistic gain?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Go with the Intake and Exhaust. Save money for later and you can go with a FMIC. Don't waste money on another TMIC.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I'd still go with intake and exhaust. The TMIC mod isn't that much larger than OEM.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd still go with intake and exhaust. The TMIC mod isn't that much larger than OEM.
[/b]
Mazda3Online shows +20whp for the Speed3.

How difficult is it to install the CPE exhaust? Could I do it myself?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
1) Front mount is useless if you aren't going to upgrade the turbo.. the gains... compared to the price... makes it completely retarded.. UNLESS you are upgrading the turbo... A new topmount will provide more power per dollar with the stock turbo...

2) People say good things about the engine mount however it causes a lot of added vibration.. if you don't mind that... then its one of the best things for the money... HOWEVER... everyone who i've talked to ... who has one... says its way over priced... I agree... for such a small easy to fab item.. 150+ is insane...

3) Intake is a great idea... Good gains... improves gains with ALL other mods you'll get later on... makes your car sound like a turbo (if you don't like vacuume cleaner car ... don't get it)...

4) BOV is an AWSOME idea and I suggest that first.. i've seen at least two other people who've had the stock plastic POS break... you won't see any gains from this... but it will protect the engine / turbo... and sound "cool"..

5) Don't bother with the exhaust... unless you get a downpipe to go with it... UNLESS you are just looking for a loud car... then.. exhaust with 2 mufflers is exactly what you need.... as for performance goes... the stock downpipe has 2 cats which.. when replaced makes a HUGE difference...

So... a quick list IMO:

Intake: 9/10
BOV: 9/10
Engine Mount: 6/10
Exhaust: 5/10
Downpipe: 8/10
TMIC: 6/10
FMIC: 6/10

TMIC and FMIC depend a lot on other factors... and because of how new and untested the vehicle and those mods are i'd suggest you stay away from them for a while... Some rant and rave about how much they love their custom IC setup... But remember they are CUSTOM and took a long time to get setup correctly... And the gains are untested... poorly designed IC setup could have a negative effect on your car... where as a CAI is better than stock no matter what just about.. along with BOV and Downpipe... Even if those aren't the BEST designs.. they are still much better than stock... and like i said.. a poor IC setup could cause a lot more problems than the others...

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I agree about the BOV. I didn't know you didn't have a BOV yet. Definitely get the BOV and intake.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BOV always seems like a waste of money to me. The stock one is working fine for now. How is an aftermarket BOV going to affect my warranty. If something happens to the engine, are they going to blame the BOV?

Not breaking my warranty is my highest priority on this car. Power gain is second.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Long term engine/turbo wear. Better BOV will prevent that.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, so CPE Intake, BOV, CPE Rear Engine Mount?

For the BOV, are we talking about the HKS kit CPE is selling with the HKS BOV? Or is there a different BOV to use for this kit?

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
The "kit" is the SSQ BOV and the flange adaptor. I believe that there are 2 different available flange adaptors. One of them is made by CPE. I can't recall who makes the other one.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
cpe exhaust and intake = most bang for the buck. and i like the sounds.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cpe exhaust and intake = most bang for the buck. and i like the sounds.
[/b]
That's what I want to hear. But everyone else seems to think the BOV is the way to go.

I dont want the 3" downpipe until after warranty expires, just the catback.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
deff go with the intake. I just installed my cpe CAI and damn that thing is so sexy the sounds is great if you like the vacuum sound and it makes you stock BOV louder. Power difference i really have not noticed on a big scale yet maybe cause i only drove it 2 times since i installed the intake. I have the stock BOV and am probably gonna go with downpipe and full exhaust first then BOV next. just want i want to do maybe it is better getting BOV first though.

·
Registered
672 Posts
What does everyone think of the suspension mods? I've read a bunch of threads about suspension mods but can't figure out whether I want/need both of these:
* Autoexe springs are going for $450-$500 IIRC which gives you 1.5" drop plus increased firmness over stock and reportedly doesn't totally ruin ride quality
* Whiteline adjustable rear sway which is only $160 on GB (reportedly this offers a little more oversteer behavior in corners).

The power mods are also very interesting. I ordered a Fujita CAI (group buy for $205 ends tomorrow - will be $198 if we can get a few more buyers). http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=62876

I will be pushing the major stuff (IC, tuning) out into the future until the products are thoroughly tested but interested in what everyone thinks of these two options:

1. FMIC kit with SRI (protegegarage - as low as $850 and includes intake) http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123650619

2. ETS Top mount + CAI = $750-$880 (depending on which CAI you get)
http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=63744

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Don't forget that if you are going to get a FMIC, DON'T GET A CAI. The CAI will have to be removed for a FMIC.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay, I've made up my mind.
I will get the BOV, but not yet. Maybe next month.

First, its CPE Intake and Exhaust!
I just don't like the sound of the stock exhaust and I honestly think there's gotta be some hp gains from the exhaust. I'll dyno and find out after its done.

Next month, BOV and Engine Mount!

THANKS EVERYONE!

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
YOu are in CA. You have to have cats on your exhaust don't you?

Less gains with those cats on.

·
Registered
204 Posts
That's what I want to hear. But everyone else seems to think the BOV is the way to go.[/b]
The intake and the exhaust will give you the biggest performance gains. If you plan to stop here, you'll be completely fine with the stock BOV. Yes, the new one will slightly improve engine life, but by far, the biggest gain is simply the sound. Right now, those are my only mods. I have a Mangaflow cat-back, which I recommend over the CP-E. True dual exhaust, good sound, and fantastic torque. The intake, which I have an AEM, gives worthy performance gains, but keep in mind that it is loud. With by BOV on VTA, the car can be downright obnoxious. Granted I'm young, so I don't mind, but just keep that in mind.

Also, if you're looking for good hp gains with your warranty, I recommend waiting for the Cobb Accessport. Great power when you want it, and tremendously easy to revert back to stock.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts