Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You've all read the rave reviews. And I'm afraid this is going to be yet another of those.

I have driven the car around 130 km for the last few hours. On highways, lanes, in the city - crooked roads, straight roads...the lot.

Handling. The car handles very very well. It is very direct steered. Much like a Miata, but with a bit more sophistication. The car responds to the driver's every move. Almost at the first thought.

Comfort. There has been some questions about this. Some magazine testers have reported loud road noise. Some complained about suspension. So, is there road noise? Yes, there is. But even with winter tyres on the worst gravel I could find, the noise isn't intrusive. And the suspension? Yes, it's firm. Very firm to be exact, but it still doesn't make the car uncomfortable. This is a sporty family car. A descent compromise. Engine sound has also been commented upon by some reviewers. Yes, the engine roars. Unsophisticated? Yes, if you wished for a Mercedes. But the raw tone is very sporty. Not unlike a Rotary, actually. High speed reveals that there is no wind noise at all. And the speed controlled volume control increases volume when speed increases. Clever (even if it isn't unique). Seats are very comfortable, and rear seat passengers let me know that the rear seat was very comfortable and roomy too.

Design. I lack words. It's so increadibly beautiful. Especially the hatch. I'll take pics tomorrow to let you see my new darling.

Instrumentation. Yes, it's good, the red light is very classy and soft. Nice to look at.

Fuel consumption. Even though I pushed it (2.0) very hard, it refused to give less than 10 km/litre. In 90 km/h it used less than 0,5 litre/10 km.

Any negatives yet? Yes, a few minor things. First - I have the moist in my front lights. Tonight weather changed and it got very cold, and the car has been washed twice in two days indoors... I'm gonna open a hatch in the light's rear walls and turn the lights on to "burn" the moist out. Let you know.

The cruise control at times felt a bit harsch when reducing speed. But it's probably a matter of the car being completely new.

The trannie doesn't feel as sophisticated as I first thought on my test drive. But again - it's completely new. It will loosen up in a few miles...

The sum is that I'm not only impressed with this car. I am beyond that. It's impossible to understand how a brand can transform itself this way. It's like if Skoda went BMW, sort of.

I think - no I know - that I have to take another test drive tomorrow. Good thing is that I don't have to return it meanwhile. It's mine! :D

·
Registered
106 Posts
Replying to Topic 'First owner impressions'

Steve-

Thanks for the positive initial report. Sounds really exciting. Could you give me the specs of your car again, such as transmission type, engine type, etc..? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Ofcourse:

2.0 litre hatch with 5 gear trannie. Trim level "Touring" in swedish terms. Meaning TCS, DSC, cruise control, stereo (CD also); remote controls on steering wheel + cruise controls.

16" Alloys.

No NAV, no Xenon. (Didn't miss it).

Oh: and the headlights in the Mazda6 aren't as bad as one reviewer said. It's descent, even if not best in class.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Just make sure you have a cell phone on you - we wouldn't want to see your wife go into labor while you are cruisin' around.

Steve, are you breaking the car in, or have you opened it up?

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Modern cars are breaken in while still in factory.

I pushed it to 5000 rpm, still safe below the 6500 though.

I can report that even the 2.0 is a very hungry engine. It has a very flat torque curve and pushes all the way. It lacks that extra bit of the 2.3 though, but it has plenty power when you need it.

Careful as I am I don't want to over-rev it just yet anyway. Better safe than sorry.

Some reviewers complained about the engine sound. But you hear it only while accelerating. Otherwise it's pretty silent. And when you push that pedal - mama, it's one sporty sound!!!!:D

·
Registered
510 Posts

:D :) ;)

Steve,

Excellent report, now its a relief that we both have our cars now...........!!:sarc

Make sure at your first service, you mention these small problems to your dealer....

Is your first service free ??

It sounds like than can all be easily fixed...

Rod

PS - Can't wait to see the Pics !

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Yes, first service (1000 km) is free.

No, wife informs me it's bedtime.

New day tomorrow. A Mazda6 day!:D

Stay tuned.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

Sweet. Steve I can't wait any longer. I'm going to implode on myself here. I still can't get it for another 2 months, and won't get it for another 5 or so. Argh!! :D

·
Registered
167 Posts

Hey Steve, thank you for the review. Confirmed my decision for this baby to be my next car :)

Oh, and we're happy for you :)

Peter

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Day 2 report.

Well, it's been another day with my Mazda6. :D Just want you all to have a bit more news.

I love the sound when you close the door. Not "boink", "cla-dong" or anything alike. It says "thud". No more, no less. Very "European"...

The car is definitely a head-turner also as pointed out by other owners in here. And there are lots and lots of nice details in the car. Small surprises that awaits the owner. The handles in the roof, the glove compartment, the lid over the cup holders...they are all dampened with some kind of gas cylinders to make them open (or fall back) very smooth. Elegant.

The buttons on the steering wheel and the button for the driver's power window are illuminated with the same soft red light as all other instrumentation. Leg room is very generous to all passengers.

Tonight we've had heavy snowfall, so I got to take a drive on snowy roads. It's very stable and the TSC and DSC (and the ABS) steps in whenever necessary and much much smoother than it did on my old 626 -99 (well, it didn't have DSC, but the rest...)

And the engine...it purrs like a cat. Oh, I love the sound of it.

I'm so happy. I'm so happy. I'm so happy. I'm so happy. I'm so happy. I 'ms oh appy. I'msoh appy... :D

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Pictures!! If you have a good camera for it, howbout some nightime interior shots to.

PLEEEASE!!! :)

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

That I can fix. Daytime exterior pics have to wait until I have a day off. (When my job ends, it's already dark now...)

Stay tuned for half an hour or so... :D

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Sorry guys...the darn server doesn't let me upload. Anyone got a webserver to put the pics on?

Send your email in a message and I mail you the pics...

1 - 20 of 55 Posts