Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My MS6 just clicked over 1400 and I recall reading a few threads where people discussed getting their oil changed at 1000. Is this correct? Should I schedule an appointment post-haste?

Is this also the time I insist on putting in Synethic or is that a matter or preference?

Thanks!

·
Registered
820 Posts
I'm waiting till 7k to do my first oil change. 1k is definatley too early, most dealerships won't even do it at 3k. The factory has a memo out regarding the breakin additives in the first batch of oil. It should stay in for a while. You shouldn't be beating your car that bad within the first 1k anyway so the oil should still be fresh as daisies haha.

·
Registered
60 Posts
When I built my motor I changed oil at 500 then 1000 then 3000. It ain't gonna hurt you.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I also replaced the oil on my 2000 Civic 1500 miles after a rebuild. They way I see it, new motor = possibility of metal shavings.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Do it now.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I would say 2000 is a good mark for synthetic change. New motors get metal shavings, etc. in there. Mine was pretty black at 2000.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I just had mine changed at 5,000 and it still looked good. I went to synth.

Personally I wouldn't go to synth before about 3,000 miles to be sure you got a good breakin.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just changed mine at 1500 miles. It was pretty dirty from being broken in, but not gritty or anything. Of course, I'm a huge lead foot. Some call it unwise to drive an engine hard with such low mileage but I don't think there is a problem with it. Mobil 1 Syth.

·
Registered
679 Posts
It's a myth to wait. Do it after you pick the car up from the dealer.

·
Registered
315 Posts
People can say it's a myth if they want to.

But I just did my first oil change @ 600 miles.

I took apart the oil filter and I couldn't believe how much metallic grit was on the oil filter. Alot of grit one side of the filter, and yes some on the other side as well.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yikes, I'm glad to see everyone agrees on this...

I think I'll take a regression of all of your responses and see what I come up with...

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
My MS6 just clicked over 1400 and I recall reading a few threads where people discussed getting their oil changed at 1000. Is this correct? Should I schedule an appointment post-haste?

Is this also the time I insist on putting in Synethic or is that a matter or preference?

Thanks! [/b]
Synthetic is indeed a matter of preference. I suggest doing some reading on synthetic lubricants as opposed to making your decision based on other people's opinions.
Being a synthetic oil freak (have used nothing but Mobil1 in my last 4 cars and my 2 current ones) I dumped the oil in my 2006 6s at 400 miles and filled it with, you guessed it, fresh Mobil1.
As far as the "break-in" period, today's cars are really nearly "broken-in" when the roll off the assembly line. The conventional wisdom of longer break-in periods many years ago was mainly ring sealing, which is almost immediate with today's metals and manufacturing techniques. Its still normal for a motor to loosen up just a bit as it accumulates miles, but the myth of synthetic oils used too early in the engine's life causing sealing or leakage problems is just that, a myth.
And speaking of Myths, here's a link to a website run by Mobil, it explains some of the more popular myths regarding synthetic oils. There are tabs to other informational pages about synthetic lubricants at the top left of that page also. Happy Reading.!!

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorO...tics/Myths.aspx

I'm waiting till 7k to do my first oil change. 1k is definatley too early, most dealerships won't even do it at 3k. The factory has a memo out regarding the breakin additives in the first batch of oil. It should stay in for a while. You shouldn't be beating your car that bad within the first 1k anyway so the oil should still be fresh as daisies haha. [/b]
I'd like to read that memo, I've never seen it or anything like it.

There are no special "break-in additives" in the factory fill motor oil, it's straight Motorcraft 5w-20 synthetic blend oil, same stuff you can buy at WalMart, and different from a true synthetic oil.

And if you want to pay for it, a dealership will change your oil at 10 miles if you so choose.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
People can say it's a myth if they want to.

But I just did my first oil change @ 600 miles.

I took apart the oil filter and I couldn't believe how much metallic grit was on the oil filter. Alot of grit one side of the filter, and yes some on the other side as well. [/b]
small bits of "metallic grit" aren't uncommon or even bad in a new motor, its usually aluminum bits from things wearing in. larger chunks are definitely not good to be seeing.

my filter at 400 miles had probably about the same amount of small metal shavings in it, the next change at 5000 had nearly nothing at all, pretty normal.

I'm not sure how you relate finding some metal shavings in your oil filter at first change to myths about synthetic vs. non-synthetic motor oils. What you discovered is simply a normal by-product of a new motor. Please explain.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I found this quite interesting: Break In. [/b]
this guy's about 90% full of shit.

scratch that......after reading it again i'll revise that to 97% :bsflag:

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I will be doing a EOA this week on my MS6. I changed the oil at 1,000 and then at 3,000. Now it will be at 6,000 miles. I want to see how's the oil is doing. I use semi-syn oil from Motorcraft(5w30). I will post the results. :drive:

·
Registered
315 Posts
small bits of "metallic grit" aren't uncommon or even bad in a new motor, its usually aluminum bits from things wearing in. larger chunks are definitely not good to be seeing.

my filter at 400 miles had probably about the same amount of small metal shavings in it, the next change at 5000 had nearly nothing at all, pretty normal.

I'm not sure how you relate finding some metal shavings in your oil filter at first change to myths about synthetic vs. non-synthetic motor oils. What you discovered is simply a normal by-product of a new motor. Please explain.
[/b]
I wasn't inferring anything in regards to syn. vs. non-syn.

I know its a by product of a new motor. I was just sharing my experience and supporting my decision to change the oil early. I don't like the thought of aluminum and metal shavings and grit in the oil, or even cought in the filter for that matter.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 39 Posts