Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did my 3000 mile oil change today, and I think that was one of the most annoying oil filters I have ever had the pleasure of: 1. Trying to find. 2. Trying to remove.

First, I tried every parts store in the area and no one has a listing for the oil filter yet. So I tried finding it on the internet with no luck. It wasn't anywhere in my owners manual that I could find, either. So I decided to go to my dealer and get one from them. They had a "bad" part # for it and couldn't get their internet working to try to fix it. So they called somebody (I assume a Mazda hotline for dealers) and were still unable to figure it out. Okay, so this about the time I decided to be smart again, and walked out to my car to look at the filter in it. Sure enough there's a part # right on there.

Motorcraft FL-820S

This is the same filter for the Ford Duratec (which I figured it would be, but wasn't taking any chances). So, if you have the 3.0 and your local parts store doesn't have an updated manual yet, you can look up a 2000-2002 Taurus with the 24V V6 and it's the same. It's also the same as the Escape.

Secondly, I had one hell of a struggle to get the old oil filter out. It's in the exact same location as my last car's, a 2000 Taurus SES 24V V6, but the exuast is different and blocks it in the 6. So I burned myself about 50 times. I was stuck using one of those filter wrenches that you have to fit around the filter and as you turn the handle it tightens up (using all the space you have to turn it in the first place to tighten up therefore leaving no space to actually losen the filter). On the other hand, getting it back in with this wrench was extreamly easy. I slipped the loop of the wrench between the exaust and the oilpan and there was plenty of room there for tightening. I wonder if that would work for loosening?

Well, I know this isn't exactly written very well, but I hope it helps. Now, does anyone have a part # for a K & N replacment air filter?

Joe

·
Registered
10 Posts
Reading Topic: First oil change for my 6s

I knew there was a reason why I always pay someone else to change my oil.

·
Registered
980 Posts

Would you attempt this again or is it such a hassle that it's better to just pay someone else to do it?

·
Registered
305 Posts

Mazda must have a sadist in the "Oil filter placement design" department.

It's so hard to reach on the Miata that they actually sell "oil filter relocation kits for it."

Part of me thinks that it'd be good to learn to change my own oil since I've heard so many horror stories of botched oil changes.

But at the same time, if you screw up your own oil change somehow, you get to pay for your own replacement engine. Somebody at a dealer or a shop botches it bad and they have to take responsibility.

·
Registered
652 Posts

Mobil 1 filters are the best.
They have a low torque gaasket, so putting them on and removing them is easier than when the monkies at jiffy lube put standard filters on.

Not to mention they have superior filtering and flow characterstics.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Replying to Topic 'First oil change for my 6s'

I think any car that is apart of ford or has any thing to do with ford has the oil filter in the hardest place or a place that makes no sence. On my ford focus, it is not that it is hard to get to, it is that it is in the block sideways and on a angle so that the oil does not drain out of the filter. So when you take it out it runs all over the place. I foxed this by jacking up the back of the car after all the oil is out. this drains almost all the oil out of the filter. drop it and jack the front up and take it off. I have not changed it on the 6 yet. the 6s is my womans car and she takes it to mazda.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Originally posted by chindo

Would you attempt this again or is it such a hassle that it's better to just pay someone else to do it?[/b]
Absolutly. Not only do I enjoy a challenge, but it just feels good to work on my own car whenever it's practical. And the few dollars I would normally save can go torward upgrading to synthetic oil (still having trouble locating 5W-20 synthetic, though). The only true problem I can see for most people is what to do with the used oil. At Jiffy Lube (or where ever) a great benifit is that you don't have that problem, and as DennyA said, you're not responsoble if they mess up your engine. So it's totally personal preference.

Originally posted by Steve 6er

How about the dealer? They know what type of filter you need...[/b]
That's the funny part. The dealer had a "bad" part #. The parts lady was totally stumped. I was lucky enough that my oil filter already on my car was in such a posistion that the part # was visable by looking down through the engine bay (I should have done this in the 1st place).

The main thing to remember here is that, as stated in other threads, this is a Duratec block. It has the exact same oil filter as the Duratec which has been in Taurii for years so finding your oil filter won't be hard if you choose to do it yourself. Now Valvoline needs to step up and come out with a full synthetic 5W-20 weight oil!

Joe

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Oh yeah, and make sure to cover your exuast pipe that is directly below your oil filter with something like a rag (please be intelligent about this if your car is hot. Gasoline soaked rags are not benificial in this circumstance :p ) before removing it, cause it spills oil all over the pipe and I could smell burning oil for about 25 miles after I changed the oil.

·
Registered
315 Posts

Aluminum foil works better when covering hot pipes that get oil on them. It's a motorcyclist trick. :) The oil won't soak the rag which if it soaks will get on the pipe. BUT, the oil will run down the foil so watch out. Mechanix brand gloves, sold at Sears, Autozone, Pep boys, etc.. work great when working in areas that are hot. They allow good dexterity and protect from bad burns.

As far as 5w20 synthetic, you can use 5w50. Synthetic has a much broader range in which it retains it's viscosity.

Tome

·
Registered
29 Posts

I just did my first oil change (at 1200 miles) on my Mazda6 V6 this weekend. It was kind of a pain. Noting from others in the forum that the factory filter was a Motorcraft FL-820S, I went to the autoparts store (NAPA) an bought a new filter of the same type and manufacturer along with a 36 point filter wrench/socket made for this filter. Of course I tested the filter socket and it fit the new filter snugly. Perfect I thought. When I went to take the original filter, even though it was marked "Motorcraft FL-820S" the filter socket showed a remarkable amount of play. The damn filters were of a different size!! I had to hold the socket on the filter with one hand while trying to turn the rachet with another. If I couldn't hold it perfectly square, it slipped. After 30 minutes, skinned knuckles and a few choice words for the standards people at MotorCraft, I got it off. The difference in diameter was less than a 1/16 of an inch and hair more than a 1/32nd (I know not very precise, but I forgot my pocket micrometer that day). Hope this saves someone the trouble.

Why would Motorcraft make two filters of the same designation but of different size? Why one size for the factory and one for aftermarket consumers? Also the factory filter felt a lot heavier even accounting for it being oil soaked. Inquiring minds want to know. But the worst part me has a sneaking suspicion.

Thanks for the tip from you fellow forum members about the aluminum foil on the exhaust pipe. It saved a big smokey mess.

For the record, I put in Royal Purple 5w-30. Cheers

·
Registered
67 Posts

Anyone ever bought the oil and filter themselves, but took it to a place to actually have it done? Do they even do that? I'd strongly consider doing that (getting, say, a Mobil 1 filter and the Castrol synthetic magnetic oil) if any of the shops will do that.

·
Registered
231 Posts

Originally posted by Steve 6er

How about the dealer? They know what type of filter you need...[/b]
the service tech at my dealer didn't even know how many quarts of oil go in my v-6.

seriously.

nick

·
Registered
212 Posts

Originally posted by future6owner

Anyone ever bought the oil and filter themselves, but took it to a place to actually have it done?  Do they even do that?  I'd strongly consider doing that (getting, say, a Mobil 1 filter and the Castrol synthetic magnetic oil) if any of the shops will do that.[/b]
Yeah, I've done that. Most shops will gladly do it for you for about $20 - $30 (at least here they will).

·
Registered
231 Posts

Originally posted by M-006

Aluminum foil works better when covering hot pipes that get oil on them.  It's a motorcyclist trick.  :)  The oil won't soak the rag which if it soaks will get on the pipe. BUT, the oil will run down the foil so watch out.   Mechanix brand gloves, sold at Sears, Autozone, Pep boys, etc.. work great when working in areas that are hot.  They allow good dexterity and protect from bad burns.

As far as 5w20 synthetic, you can use 5w50.  Synthetic has a much broader range in which it retains it's viscosity.

Tome[/b]
i was planning on putting in 5w30 synthetic, this weekend.

nick

·
Registered
231 Posts

Originally posted by future6owner

Anyone ever bought the oil and filter themselves, but took it to a place to actually have it done?  Do they even do that?  I'd strongly consider doing that (getting, say, a Mobil 1 filter and the Castrol synthetic magnetic oil) if any of the shops will do that.[/b]
my mazda dealership will do that.

nick

1 - 16 of 16 Posts