Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have performed my first mod with many more to come. The first thing I do with every car I purchase is paint the rotors/calipers. I just can't stand the look of rust on the rotors and calipers.

Well I have performed my first mod with many more to come. The first thing I do with every car I purchase is paint the rotors/calipers. I just can't stand the look of rust on the rotors and calipers.
[/b]
With wheel

·
Registered
507 Posts
Why black and red? Why not just go with one color? The 2-tone makes them look smaller than they are since you can't really see the black.

I need to do the same and take care of the rust on the rotors though. That bugs me too.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why black and red? Why not just go with one color? The 2-tone makes them look smaller than they are since you can't really see the black.[/b]
I painted my mustang all red and it did not look right, it needed some contrast.

·
Registered
820 Posts
black for the rotors is better too in my opinion. you don't actually paint them because you want to show them off, you paint them so they don't rust. Painting the calipers is for the visual effect.

·
Registered
49 Posts
This is just ugly and stupid. Keep the car teh way it is or buy real aftermarket brembo brakes.

To me its either after market quality stuff or nothing at all

·
Registered
188 Posts
I might have gone with silver or some gray metallic for the rotors, but otherwise I think it looks sharp.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have to disagree with turboms6... i think this mod is a cheap easy way that looks GOOD and gives the wheel a nice touch, especially when in motion. I plan on painting them red in the summer time. I think it will look nice with Velocity Red.

·
Registered
343 Posts
From the looks of it, those are the backs....lets see the front, or even a full side shot so that we can see both brakes, front and back. I like the painted look, if done right it can be very nice. If done wrong however; can you say RICE? Not in your case though-- looks good. I think that i may have gone full Red or full Black but thats just me.

Nice work, lets see some more pics.

ps-- what color is the car??

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
This is just ugly and stupid. Keep the car teh way it is or buy real aftermarket brembo brakes.
[/b]
that's very constructive.
ignorance FTW!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
that's very constructive.
ignorance FTW! [/b]
+1 - I'm with you.

Painting the rusty rear rotors black was a great idea.
What did you do for prep on them, and what paint did you use?

thanks!

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
It's not ignorance...it's just his opinion.

They look nice man I like the two tone caliper color, I would have done black and blue

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
I like it too as I had bad rust on my rotor when I bought it with only 700 miles. I have a red ms6 so I think I would do it the same way you did. I just gave my dad all my tools when I bought this car because I figured Id never work on a car again. Bad idea. Looks like you remobed everything to spray? I dont want to have to take the brake line off the caliper though.
Were not all rich enough to replace the calipers (which I find to be very sufficient) with bremo brakes.
Anyways, Looks good. Nice job

·
Registered
220 Posts
I did the same to my calipers....I did feel kind of feel silly doing it, but they do look sharp. Went with a red caliper (red car). The kit I bought came with standard brake cleaner to spray on the calipers....I did it at 4000 miles, so they were still clean and had no rust.

Wayne

P.S. I wouldn't call this a mod....modifications to me, mean a little more substantial improvement to the car.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I did the same to my calipers....I did feel kind of feel silly doing it, but they do look sharp. Went with a red caliper (red car). The kit I bought came with standard brake cleaner to spray on the calipers....I did it at 4000 miles, so they were still clean and had no rust.

Wayne

P.S. I wouldn't call this a mod....modifications to me, mean a little more substantial improvement to the car.
[/b]
DUDE! This is a mod... you didn't know that special paint can add up to 25 hp at the wheels! ;)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
+1 - I'm with you.

Painting the rusty rear rotors black was a great idea.
What did you do for prep on them, and what paint did you use?

thanks!
[/b]
I used Duplicolor caliper paint kit that you brush on and it turned out well, no brush marks. The kit came with a cleaner to prep the calipers.
My car is mica black.

[/b]
"Does anyone know if the Mazdaspeed is indeed a FORD? "
"Does anyone know where I can get information to confirm that it is or is not a FORD."

Every forum has someone like you in it. By the way the calipers say FO MO CO or in other words, Ford Motor Company, so go out and sell your car since you hate Ford!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
From the looks of it, those are the backs....lets see the front, or even a full side shot so that we can see both brakes, front and back. I like the painted look, if done right it can be very nice. If done wrong however; can you say RICE? Not in your case though-- looks good. I think that i may have gone full Red or full Black but thats just me.

Nice work, lets see some more pics.

ps-- what color is the car??
[/b]
Car is black and I plan on doing the front tonight.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I used Duplicolor caliper paint kit that you brush on and it turned out well, no brush marks. The kit came with a cleaner to prep the calipers.
[/b]
Thanks for the info. What I am really curious about however, is how you prepped the rusted areas prior to painting...sanding, priming etc. thanks!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the info. What I am really curious about however, is how you prepped the rusted areas prior to painting...sanding, priming etc. thanks!
[/b]
I had only a few rusty areas, but I used a wire wheel attached to my drill and it took care of the job.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Nice job vert. I hate the rust on my rotors too. I'll be doing this next spring.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts