Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all!
I just moved out to Hawaii (Honolulu) for a job, and bought a well-used 2005 Mazda 6i AT sedan as a roundabout. It needs so much TLC, but I think it has potential to clean up well... for one thing, no rust perforation, and the paint has actually not faded like every 2nd car around here!

Being a "Red Six", I sent my friends to look up characters in the Star Wars universe who used that call sign to give this car a name. Technically it should have been "Porkins", after an unfortunate X-wing pilot who died in A New Hope. But, somehow the friends looked up "Rogue Six" as well, and so by popular vote the car is now named Gavin Darklighter.
Nope, I never heard of that one either! But, the Wiki page for him goes on for ages, and lists a couple dozen novels and comics.

And, well, I'll be the 10th registered owner of Gavin, so a long history does actually fit the car!

So far, I've:
Topped-off the trans fluid
Bought new (used) wheels & tires (from a CX-3, apparently. Slightly larger than stock, at 215-70R16)
Added more trans fluid
Shopped around ebay for little bits needed
Glared at the low trans fluid level
Replaced the driver's axle -- broken boot, and hoping a bad seal, so I've now replaced the seal too.
Discovered the upper control arm bushings are indeed junk, and at least one cause of the clunking over left bumps. Going on the to-do list.
Put off adding trans fluid again until the morning -- none came out when removing the driver's axle :-\

Here's a photo as I was switching the old wheels and awful tires (front) for the new ones (rear).

·
Super Moderator
16,953 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Love seeing some 1st gens still running around happily. Looks like it's spent a lot of its life as a DD and/or beater - time for some love :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was last in Hawaii many years ago, however, from what I recall, cars seemed to rust through in a few years. From the look of yours, I suspect it was well taken care of. I bet with a couple of good washes and a little wax along with the wheel upgrade, it should look great.

I had an 04 Mazda6 and it was one of the best cars I have owned. Enjoy it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts