Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Mazda 6i sedan && 2007 Outback 3.0 LLBean wagon
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all!
I just moved out to Hawaii (Honolulu) for a job, and bought a well-used 2005 Mazda 6i AT sedan as a roundabout. It needs so much TLC, but I think it has potential to clean up well... for one thing, no rust perforation, and the paint has actually not faded like every 2nd car around here!

Being a "Red Six", I sent my friends to look up characters in the Star Wars universe who used that call sign to give this car a name. Technically it should have been "Porkins", after an unfortunate X-wing pilot who died in A New Hope. But, somehow the friends looked up "Rogue Six" as well, and so by popular vote the car is now named Gavin Darklighter.
Nope, I never heard of that one either! But, the Wiki page for him goes on for ages, and lists a couple dozen novels and comics.

And, well, I'll be the 10th registered owner of Gavin, so a long history does actually fit the car!

So far, I've:
Topped-off the trans fluid
Bought new (used) wheels & tires (from a CX-3, apparently. Slightly larger than stock, at 215-70R16)
Added more trans fluid
Shopped around ebay for little bits needed
Glared at the low trans fluid level
Replaced the driver's axle -- broken boot, and hoping a bad seal, so I've now replaced the seal too.
Discovered the upper control arm bushings are indeed junk, and at least one cause of the clunking over left bumps. Going on the to-do list.
Put off adding trans fluid again until the morning -- none came out when removing the driver's axle :-\

Here's a photo as I was switching the old wheels and awful tires (front) for the new ones (rear).

·
Super Moderator
17,214 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Love seeing some 1st gens still running around happily. Looks like it's spent a lot of its life as a DD and/or beater - time for some love :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was last in Hawaii many years ago, however, from what I recall, cars seemed to rust through in a few years. From the look of yours, I suspect it was well taken care of. I bet with a couple of good washes and a little wax along with the wheel upgrade, it should look great.

I had an 04 Mazda6 and it was one of the best cars I have owned. Enjoy it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, not quite two weeks in, what have we done since the last post:

• Filled up the ATF, and no leaks since the axle job. Hooray!
  • Replaced both front upper control arms. But, still clunking. I thought it disappeared for the first day, but then it was mostly back. A bit improved, and one of them did have rubbish bushings. But looking like struts are next.
  • Got the oil and filter changed, looking like maybe no more oil leak around the filter, either. Double hooray!
  • Pulled almost every plastic trim panel (except the dashboard) from the front interior, gave it all a good scrubbing. Also shampooed the armrest, and scrubbed the dash, steering wheel, and handbrake in the car.
  • Found out that one of the previous owners broke the armrest 12V socket... and then clipped the cord to remove it. Damn, folks...
  • Replaced engine and cabin air filters
Disconnected battery to remove airbags when cleaning... now, we have a rough idle (since the ECU/TCU have probably reset). Thinking MAF cleaning + Seafoam.

Still to do:
  • rent carpet cleaner machine, shampoo seats, carpet, doors. They're naasty.
  • pull apart and clean front doors, fix windows (driver's off-track, passenger's not moving)
  • Figure out why trunk opener only works sometimes
  • get and program keyless entry remotes. I don't think this car had factory keyless, because it's got an aftermarket AutoPage wired in. I'll look for an eBay remote for that.
  • change plugs, serpentine belt, idler, and tensioner
  • change ATF again sometime soon-ish, and filter too. Gotta get one of these Hawaii "oil change boxes"... just a bag of sawdust in a box. State law is to "absorb and discard" fluids like ATF and oil, so you buy these boxes at Walmart or somewhere, and just toss them in the Dumpster when finished. shrug! Easier than collecting fluids, I guess.
  • Superclean, fix chip in windshield, and RainX ALL THE GLASS.
  • Sand and polish the headlights
  • Wax on, for this tropical sun!

·
Rally Racer
2,526 Posts
@airlia101 great work.
Nice bit of work done already.
There is no trans filter to replace (without pulling the trans) but a couple drain and refills will likely do the job.

EDIT: it looks like youhave the 4speed and it may be possible to remove the pan and replace the strainer.

The last two to replace on the suspension are the front lower rears (where my clunk was coming from) and front lower front. Make sure you torque those down at ride height so they don't prematurely fail.

A little strange about the oil. I remember my grandfather digging a hole and dumping the old stuff into it stating, "that's where it came from originally" ?‍♂

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@DrFeelGood Thanks! Yep, it's the 4AT, so I've seen walkthroughs showing how to drop the pan and change the strainer/bag/filter. Apparently I left that out of my last RockAuto order, so that's onhold for a while anyway.

I've been trying to not think about the front lower control arms... is it true you have to sort of drop the subframe a bit to get the bolts out? There was a very nice picture guide from someone swapping a Fusion engine into their 6, having to disconnect the steering column and loosen the subframe for a couple bolts.
They also specified a "neutral suspension position" of about 15.8" hub-to-arch, for tightening down the bushing bolts. I did the same on the uppers, guess that's right around normal on-the-ground loading.

·
Rally Racer
2,526 Posts
@airlia101 well done.
Yes, you do have to drop the sub-frame in the rear to get the rearward arms. It is not that bad if you have a power ratchet. Don't forget to loosen the front two subframe bolts to help. One 10mm or 12mm bolt at the base of the steering column (inside) lets you slide the splines out easily. This is a good opportunity to grease the telescoping steering splines farther up on the column as they are a source of clunk. I use a product from Energy Suspension called Formula 5.

None of that matters of course if you cannot sort out the trans...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pasting this link here as a bookmark for myself:

My front seats are both (1) grimy as all, and (2) rather worn: holes, tears, and foam bolsters breaking down.
Hard to find too many seat donors out here, so I did some research and it sounds like Fusion seats (both front and rear) fit with only a little bit of modification.
Relevant quote:
96SFusion

I just dropped off my rear seat bottom to have a new cover made after the 2nd leather insert tore today when I put my knee on it. The fronts and rear seat backs are holding up well. I've seen a few threads talking about swapping seats, so I thought I'd do a quick write up about what needs to be done to use AWD MS6 seats in a FWD fusion.

Driver Seat - Driver seat fits no modification
Pass Seat - The alignment dowel on the inside front foot is in the wrong place. Drill a new hole for it (I just cut the dowel off)

Rear seat backs - Need to drill correct 1/2" holes for FWD rear seat back mounting in 3 of the 4 front brackets, all other bolts and dowels line up perfectly

Rear seat bottom - You need to retrofit the cover onto a regular 6 seat foam or modify your fusion seat foam to accommodate the seatbelt holes (the cover isn't slit at the back and the belts fit inward instead of outward as on the fusion foam). I just hacked up the foam a little. The next problem is that the AWD car has a different rear floor pan design under the rear seat because of the RX8 rear end that is fitted to the car. You need to have a panel sewn in to fill the gap, no big deal as it is vinyl anyway.
Also, I think 1st-gen Mazda3 side mirrors might bolt right up, and even the painted covers might be interchangeable (gonna try and measure a parting-out 3 here this week, for seat mount holes and for side mirrors).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts