Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Mazda6 forum,

Noob post here. My wife was in desperate need of a quality car. Something for commuting and also for road trips that was comfortable and fun to drive. Unfortunately I hadn't been paying attention to the car market for years, so I had a crap-ton of catching up to do Did my homework researching at the usual Camry's, Altima's, Accord's, etc.. but every once in a while I'd see a Mazda6 and kept thinking "damn, that isn't just a good looking car, it's a beautiful car". Didn't take many reviews to realize what an overlooked car this is. I literally could not find anything negative that wasn't nit-picky or a personal preference thing. Two weeks into owning a '17 Mica black, one-owner lease return GT with 17k miles, we are both absolutely thrilled to have this gorgeous, super-fun, comfortable car in our driveway.

The one and only issue so far, has been getting my wife's phone paired. The previous owner's phone is still in the system and she's been unable to delete. And yes, we've read the manual, and I've used the search function here. Based on that, I'd like to try pulling the fuse for the infotainment system to clear the memory and reboot it. Reboots end up fixing 90% of the problems in my work so why not?

Other than that, she (and I) could not be happier with the car.

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got back from a very pleasant drive up the Columbia River Gorge. Pulled in the driveway and tried the reset. The phone paired, downloaded contacts and we deleted the previous owner's phone... although I was half-tempted to call him to say thanks for taking such good care of the car.

I did notice something interesting on the drive though. Over the past few weeks I've been watching for 6's, and have seen a grand total of 2. Not sure if it was due to the Gorge being a popular drive, but there was a virtual parade of Mazda's today. Mostly CX crossovers but at least 3 Mazda 6's. Not scientific by any means, but seems to say something about Mazda's being focused on driving enjoyment.

Thanks again for the tip!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Good to hear you got the phone paired. Take some time going through the options in the infotainment system. I continue to be amazed with all you can control. I have two phones connected at the same time. One for phone and the other for music. When someone else drives the car, their phone is paired.

Enjoy the Mazda. When are you getting your own Mazda? Miata, Mazda3, CX-3,5,9, 30 they are all great cars.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Enjoy the Mazda. When are you getting your own Mazda? Miata, Mazda3, CX-3,5,9, 30 they are all great cars.
I would be lying if I said that hadn't crossed my mind but just can't justify it at this point. Although I can't imagine how much fun this car would be with a turbo.

Sorry to keep gushing about what a beautiful car the 6 is. There isn't a bad angle, but the lines blending the fender and hood and hood are nothing short of artwork.

20200627_213854.jpg

·
Super Moderator
17,289 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Congrats on your purchase and glad you're enjoying Zoom-Zoom as much as we all do. There's something completely unique about how Mazdas drive and that's why I'll never stray away from them (so long as they stay this way).

To give you some reassurance, I've had my 3rd gen (same as yours) for over 7.5 years now, put over 175k miles on it, and still love it as much as the day I bought it. I still get impressed with how great it looks; hopefully you'll feel the same way in years to come :)

And to add to @Archerfish, if there's a single complaint about these cars that's consistent everywhere, it's how obnoxiously thin the paint is. Mazda knows how to make a beautiful color, but they skimp out on protecting it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome to the forum!

Congrats on your purchase and glad you're enjoying Zoom-Zoom as much as we all do. There's something completely unique about how Mazdas drive and that's why I'll never stray away from them (so long as they stay this way).

To give you some reassurance, I've had my 3rd gen (same as yours) for over 7.5 years now, put over 175k miles on it, and still love it as much as the day I bought it. I still get impressed with how great it looks; hopefully you'll feel the same way in years to come :)

And to add to @Archerfish, if there's a single complaint about these cars that's consistent everywhere, it's how obnoxiously thin the paint is. Mazda knows how to make a beautiful color, but they skimp out on protecting it.
Thanks. I have a feeling we'll be loyal Mazda owners from here on out.

Not thrilled to hear about the thin paint issue, but that's if a main gripe with Mazda's, it just supports the sense that we made the right choice. I'm open to suggestions on paint protection. Love the Mica black and would hate to see it dinged up.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts

Not thrilled to hear about the thin paint issue, but that's if a main gripe with Mazda's, it just supports the sense that we made the right choice. I'm open to suggestions on paint protection. Love the Mica black and would hate to see it dinged up.
From what I've heard, some will put ceramic coating while some prefer to use PPF. I don't know exactly what is PPF, protection paint film? Then there's this thing called "bra".

I thought I would not need any of those but if only I joined in this forum as soon as I bought the car, I would have put any one of those paint protection.

Someone pointed out that the "fragile paint" is not only for Mazda but to the rest of the newly manufactured cars. It's all because of "saving the environment". Just like the i-Stop equipped on our cars.

·
Super Moderator
17,289 Posts
^^ What he said.

I'd also suggest getting something like a bottle of Dr. Color Chip, which I've heard wonders about, for filling in small scratches/chips. I just bought some stuff from automotivetouchup.com for my wife's car and it's pretty good quality stuff.

This all being said, and as much as most of us would hate to admit it, the vast majority of your chips will come from following too closely to the people in front of you. We've got some garbage roads up here in New England, and all the salt/sand during the winter. but I've not racked up too many chips on my car - certainly nothing that a little touchup paint couldn't hide 95%.

·
Registered
47 Posts

I think the paint issues are primarily with the premium colors, especially red.

I have a Black Mazda and have no problems. I had a 2015 dark blue Mazda with 100,000 miles and had only 1 chip and that was from such a hard hit that there is also a dent. I have heard a lot of complaints about Red, 1/10 as many about Machine Gray, 1/10 of that for the White and Machine Gray and almost no complaints about Black and Blue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^^ What he said.

I'd also suggest getting something like a bottle of Dr. Color Chip, which I've heard wonders about, for filling in small scratches/chips. I just bought some stuff from automotivetouchup.com for my wife's car and it's pretty good quality stuff.

This all being said, and as much as most of us would hate to admit it, the vast majority of your chips will come from following too closely to the people in front of you. We've got some garbage roads up here in New England, and all the salt/sand during the winter. but I've not racked up too many chips on my car - certainly nothing that a little touchup paint couldn't hide 95%.

I think the paint issues are primarily with the premium colors, especially red.

I have a Black Mazda and have no problems. I had a 2015 dark blue Mazda with 100,000 miles and had only 1 chip and that was from such a hard hit that there is also a dent. I have heard a lot of complaints about Red, 1/10 as many about Machine Gray, 1/10 of that for the White and Machine Gray and almost no complaints about Black and Blue.
Thanks @Byakuya and @DPAcpa. I washed the car for the first time last week and found a few minor scratches but didn't notice any chips. If there were any, the dealership must have touched them up, but guessing not because they missed the scratches. In any event, some Dr. Color Chip, and likely a buffer with polishing compound will be in order.

Hopefully the Mica black is a more durable color. The car had 17k miles when we bought it and was driven locally. Our winters here in SW Washington, and the Portland OR area, are generally mild (depressing gray/rainy) but we are prone to a week or more of slick conditions every year. There's also no shortage of road construction around here so chipped paint and cracked windshields definitely happen. Worse, we live on a hill so sand/gravel/de-icer is an annual thing, even if for a limited time.

Ugh.... now that I think about it, when we do get snotty weather, the 6 should just get parked. Paint chips and cracked windshields are the least concerns. Having lived in the mid-west, I thought western OR/WA drivers were clueless in winter weather, but we now have a lot of Cali transplants added to that mix (not an anti-Cali slam, just an observation of inexperience). To be fair, we're also prone to super-slimy ice storms, just at or below freezing, that challenge even the best winter drivers

Sorry honey, you won't get to enjoy the heated seats and steering wheel when you need it the most!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well any reservations about pulling the trigger on this car have evaporated after reviewing resale prices on even older M6's. Either these cars have a shockingly flat depreciation curve, and we got a great deal for a change,... OR, the dealership was dumping the car.

Really hoping it's not the latter. The carfax was clean, no listed accidents, no listed damage, and all lease required scheduled maintenance had been done, with no problems reported. The car appears to be in essentially new condition and drives great. So why am I seeing M6's that are 1-3 years older, with 3-4X the mileage, with asking prices (and presumably selling) for a few thousand less than the $18,700 we paid? I mean this car was $34k new just 3 lightly driven years ago. Not saying used prices are excessive (at all) but did we really get that good of a deal? I shopped hard for about 2 weeks and the closest match to ours that I saw locally was another black '17 GT, with slightly more miles, for $24K (which seems reasonable knowing what a great car it is). All the other '16-17 GT's, most with considerably more miles, were over $20k.

With ours, the only points "off new" condition, besides what I consider just broken in mileage (17k), being a couple of minor scratches and some curb rash on the passenger side wheels. Oh, almost forgot that slight crease in the drivers seat leather! Kinda thinking we saved something like $2-5k? If so, surely the dealership knew what comparable M6's are selling for, so why the discount?

I dunno, guess I should just be happy, but this would be the first time I beat the house at a dealership, or at least broke even. Normally it hurts to sit down for a few days.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I usually respond to the posts of “did I pay too much” with a response of once the deal is done, assume you got a good deal and don’t worry about it further”.

The dealer likely needed to move cars quickly. Convert inventory to cash. Business may be down due to the economy and the virus. Even if there were issues with the car, they could have sold it for more if they waited for customers to come around.

I have occasionally bought and sold cars at great times and gotten a few great deals. I once traded in a 1 year old car with 35,000 miles for a new one and only lost $1,500. It was a time when they needed to get new cars off the lot and get used ones on the lot.

Now is the time to buy used cars in some markets from some dealers. You were lucky to need a car at the right time. A win for both.

Congratulations on your big win. Use some of the savings to celebrate.

·
Registered
2020 Mazda 6 Grand Touring
4 Posts
Look around my dude, it’s Christmas. Have you been under a rock the last few months? I got my 2020 Mazda 6 GT with the turbo for 8k under MSRP. And I got 0% interest for 63 months.
COVID has caused this to be a super slow time to buy cars, dealers need sales. That and Hertz went bankrupt and put up 1.7 million cars for sale. The market is flooded with used cars that are 10% or more below kbb check the hertz car sales site for deals on rental cars.
this is a great time to be a buyer. I signed papers in my driveway. I never stepped foot in the dealer. For less than 8k more than what you paid I got the turbo with 26 miles on it. That is with them driving it to my door. There are deals to be had.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Look around my dude, it’s Christmas. Have you been under a rock the last few months? I got my 2020 Mazda 6 GT with the turbo for 8k under MSRP. And I got 0% interest for 63 months.
COVID has caused this to be a super slow time to buy cars, dealers need sales. That and Hertz went bankrupt and put up 1.7 million cars for sale. The market is flooded with used cars that are 10% or more below kbb check the hertz car sales site for deals on rental cars.
this is a great time to be a buyer. I signed papers in my driveway. I never stepped foot in the dealer. For less than 8k more than what you paid I got the turbo with 26 miles on it. That is with them driving it to my door. There are deals to be had.
Hiding under a rock isn't far from the truth. Been fortunate to keep working while trying to stay healthy and not feed into all the stuff going on.

Awesome score on the 2020 turbo! I looked (briefly) at new at one dealership when they mentioned 0%, but somehow resisted and stuck to a self-imposed budget of $20k or less. Come to think of it, we saw at total 2 other customers at the 3 dealerships we visited.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts