Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the first new car I've ever owned. Decided after a year of taking it to automatic washes (don't hate me). That I should be doing this by hand and stop scratching the clear coat. Detailed this past Friday. Hand wash, hand clay, hand polish, hand wax. Never doing that again. Getting a DA polisher for next time. Items used and results below.

Now, the polish made the paint look good, but there are still swirl marks and scratches in the clear coat. Will Ultimate Compound remove these?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Be careful with Soul Red. I hear it's really soft, so go at it easy..

Sent from the wrong side of the tracks.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Your car looks fantastic, and i don't even want to ask how long it took or how much your hands hurt after attempting to do the paint correction without power tools ! All Mazda paints are soft and thin. My detailer used a paint meter and said he wouldnt want to correct the paint too often due to how thin the paint was. I think Mazda took the skyactiv lightness to the paintjob as well !

·
Super Moderator
16,774 Posts
Be careful with Soul Red. I hear it's really soft, so go at it easy..

Sent from the wrong side of the tracks.
Your car looks fantastic, and i don't even want to ask how long it took or how much your hands hurt after attempting to do the paint correction without power tools ! All Mazda paints are soft and thin. My detailer used a paint meter and said he wouldnt want to correct the paint too often due to how thin the paint was. I think Mazda took the skyactiv lightness to the paintjob as well !
MilR nailed it. All of the 3rd gen paint jobs are super soft and I'm always hesitant to use deep paint cleaner on it except for the silly orange spots that white cars get on them from tar.

BlueNylonShoes - There's only so much I'd be willing to try to get the clear coat 100% swirl-free. A good buff will get most of them out, but like the two above me were saying, you need to be REALLY careful with this car. It stinks, really, that such beautiful paint jobs were made to be so fragile.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. I have seen that this paint is thin and quite soft. I won't be doing anything this year to the paint, except for more wax. Down the road I might look to get rid of the scratches, but it looks good for now.

And 5 hours is what it took. My right arm still hurts 5 days later. Haha

Edit: Sp

1 - 7 of 7 Posts