Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does someone know 100% what the firing order is on the speed6? I know generally on a 4 cylinder engine, its 1-3-4-2 but I want to be 100% sure that is right before I go messing with the coils. I am hooking up a J&S Safeguard and I need to know the firing order to hook up the right cylinders to the right inputs.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I'll look in my workshop manual when I get home later tonight. But that won't be till later tonight.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll look in my workshop manual when I get home later tonight. But that won't be till later tonight.[/b]
cool, that will work. I am going to hook it up using the 1-3-4-2 order and if I need to change, I can just change it at the J&S connector.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Very neat gizmo - please let us know how it works and what you plan on using it for.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After getting things ripped apart, I realized that I am supposed to hook 2 coils to 1 input/output. I don't want to do that so I ended up not putting it in. I'll call them Monday and find out if they have a unit that I can drive all 4 coils individually with. The unit I have is the 2channel unit, I talked to John at J&S about it and he said it would work, but I don't want to "overdrive" my coils.

The unit is great, it detects knock before its audible and will retard timing until it goes away. It will retard on a per cylinder basis. I used it on my turbo'd MP3 and saved me many times.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
After getting things ripped apart, I realized that I am supposed to hook 2 coils to 1 input/output. I don't want to do that so I ended up not putting it in. I'll call them Monday and find out if they have a unit that I can drive all 4 coils individually with. The unit I have is the 2channel unit, I talked to John at J&S about it and he said it would work, but I don't want to "overdrive" my coils.

The unit is great, it detects knock before its audible and will retard timing until it goes away. It will retard on a per cylinder basis. I used it on my turbo'd MP3 and saved me many times.[/b]
So does it remove the knock signal from the ECU then?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
It's 1234 from the crankshaft pulley.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So does it remove the knock signal from the ECU then?[/b]
No it actually retards timing until the detonation has stopped.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
No it actually retards timing until the detonation has stopped.[/b]
But if the knock sensor sees "knock" then so would the ECU right? So now you have 2 independent computers adjusting your timing based on knock.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
But if the knock sensor sees "knock" then so would the ECU right? So now you have 2 independent computers adjusting your timing based on knock.[/b]
The J&S is more sensitive than the stock computer so it will see the knock before the stock ECM would. But, unlike the stock computer when th J&S sees knock it only retards the timing on the one cylinder that had the knock event, so even though it's more sensitive and provides better protection than the stock computer, the other three cylinders fire normally so engine output isn't reduced nearly as much..

·
Registered
353 Posts
I know a decent amount of the 2G DSM guys use it because of their knock sensors. Might be something I consider getting down the road since I know its an awesome unit.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
The J&S is more sensitive than the stock computer so it will see the knock before the stock ECM would. But, unlike the stock computer when th J&S sees knock it only retards the timing on the one cylinder that had the knock event, so even though it's more sensitive and provides better protection than the stock computer, the other three cylinders fire normally so engine output isn't reduced nearly as much..[/b]
I guess my only concern would be if you had serious detonation then you now have 2 sources retarding timing. Not to mention the ECU is constantly messing with timing and knows nothing about this new knock computer. If it works, it works - I'm sure the people who designed this thing know a lot more about engines then I do, but if you are splicing into the knock sensor anyway, why not remove the signal from going into the ECU so that there is no chance of both systems retarding timing.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The J&S will retard timing before the ECU see's it so there will be no need for the ECU to retard any. It uses its own Knock sensor so you only splice into the coils.

It is a preventative type of thing, but since I have heard detonation before, I think it is benificial to me now. I live in a hot dry climate with crappy gas, so I think I am more prone to knock then someone in a better climate.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
The J&S will retard timing before the ECU see's it so there will be no need for the ECU to retard any. It uses its own Knock sensor so you only splice into the coils.

It is a preventative type of thing, but since I have heard detonation before, I think it is benificial to me now. I live in a hot dry climate with crappy gas, so I think I am more prone to knock then someone in a better climate.[/b]
Oh, I thought it said it used the factory knock sensor. Where do you screw that sensor into the block? Must you drill/tap a new hole?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh, I thought it said it used the factory knock sensor. Where do you screw that sensor into the block? Must you drill/tap a new hole?[/b]
On the MP3, I just found and open hole as low on the block as possible. If we don't have any, then I am up $%#@ creek. It should be mounted directly to the block so it can "hear" detonation.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
jb606 -- did you get a chance to get that firing order?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got a 05 mazda 6 2.3 an my haynes book says the cylinder numbers are 1234 starting from passenger side and the firing order it says 1342. Whats getting me is all the different answers ive seen. Does anyone know the correct order the plug wires go into the ignition coil? I have it 1 bottom right 3 top right 4 top left an 2 bottom left can anyone chime in? Appreciate any advice

1 - 20 of 26 Posts