Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a vol. firefighter and have installed a new led lightbar on top, a hide-away siren, and rear strobes. now unlike most ...well almost everyone here i can legally have thse my car with no problems so no hiding is really required. however i need ideas on how to install them. in a very visible spot but not where i run the risk of melting the headlights. ill get some photos up but in the mean time... any ideas?

·
Registered
148 Posts
do u already have the strobes u plan to install?

i work for a truck accessory shop and i install the same strobe lights you typically see on road construction or any time of govt vehicle thats not firefighter paramedic or police (ecco brand strobes).

i put their headlight taillight strobes in all the time without any headlight melting.. the only time that that has ever happened was when they still used the old style long bulbs and the bulb actually touched the headlight housing.

i actually have a full ecco headlight/tailight kit (white color) if your interested in them (if you dont already have the lights)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i do have the strobes. they are the Model No. 21.6400 on here:

Hide-A-Flash Strobe Kits

not exactly but close enough. i would appreciate any advise on keeping them cool or where to mount them. and may be interested in the strobes you have if they will run cooler. i have the back ones in the reverse lights and man did they melt the crap out of that. hence why i am very hesitant about the front. thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
575 Posts
I too am a volly for my ems service. I just have a dash light and deck light in rear window. If i did install front strobes. I would put them in the headlights where that dead light/reflector is. I would do a clear led but have it be colored when lit up. Would look cool lighting up the whole assembly. I also mounted my speaker indriver fender under intake. I took my Cai out and put in cpe top intake. Still gotta wire it. It's gonna just be used as the police horn and a pa system. No siren.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'll get u some pics of my kit. In my experience with them the only time there has been any kind of melting is when the bulb was physically touching the lense. These require a one inch hole for mounting purposes. I used to have a video of them in use I'll try to find that as well.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I too am a volly for my ems service. I just have a dash light and deck light in rear window. If i did install front strobes. I would put them in the headlights where that dead light/reflector is. I would do a clear led but have it be colored when lit up. Would look cool lighting up the whole assembly. I also mounted my speaker indriver fender under intake. I took my Cai out and put in cpe top intake. Still gotta wire it. It's gonna just be used as the police horn and a pa system. No siren.
very cool man! how long have you been running?
i have tried the "integrated fog" as a possibility but it restricts the light way to much. i am trying to mount them out in the open and make them as visible as possible. idk how your area operates (some can only use blues and a horn) but we can run full ER, red/white lights, siren, ect... so the more light off of them the better, got some really tight intersections to clear through.

oh! and if you havent gotten to far on the speaker yet an awesome and very unobstructed place to mount it is in the middle of the lower grill on the bumper. ill go get a video of my car in the morning so you all can see what im talking about for both cases.

·
Registered
676 Posts
At first when I was reading this post I was like WTF is this guy trying to do??? haha then watched the video, it actually looks pretty cool since its functional.

"Make way Mazda 6 to the rescue!!"

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
looks good man. i just got some red/white lights for the grill since i dont think front strobes will work out well in this car. I wish i could do all my lights inside, but we have to have 360º of visibility so the top bar is easiest (cheapest) way to do that.

I would suggest you get some side lighting (if you can by law) especially if you have and big intersections to clear. I've got some really busy and tight intersections to clear so the more lights/noise the better. but its all personal preference and laws.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts