Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if any of the following rims will fit my Mazda6 i Sport (2009). I'm currently running on the stock wheels that appear to be 15" or 16" in diameter. The tires are P205/65R16 94H. Here are some of the rims I'm considering:

Enkei EKM3 (17" x 7.0", 45 offset, 5/114.3 bolt pattern)
Enkei EKM3 (18" x 8.0", 45 offset, 5/112 bolt pattern)
Enkei FLC-01 (17" x 7.0", 40 offset, 5/100 or 5/114.3 bolt patterns)
Enkei FLC-01 (18" x 7.5", 45 offset, 4/100 or 4/114.3 or 5/100 or 5/114.3 bolt patterns)

... I'm new to buying tires/rims so forgive my ignorance, but does anything except the bolt pattern and offset matter? What specs do I need to adhere to and what specs can I ignore?

Also, any ideas/suggestions about what tires I should put on my new rims would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm sorry I just realized your tires are 16" (Sport), not the same as my 17" (Touring).

I would make sure the bolt pattern and offset match so you don't have any issue with handling, and inducing adverse wear, loading or increased stress on other components.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would make sure the bolt pattern and offset match so you don't have any issue with handling, and inducing adverse wear, loading or increased stress on other components.
That is what I'm concerned about. I have yet to find any rims with an offset higher than 45, and I have been told the offset on my stock wheels are anywhere between 55 and 65.

Assuming the correct bolt pattern... how much of an effect on the handling would I feel if I installed rims with a 45 offset? Would the adverse tire wear be significant? What about any extra stress on the arms or joints?

·
Registered
658 Posts
+ impact, sticks out more, (meaning 45 offset will stick out more than 60).
- impact, will recess more (60+).

i have 40 offset on my wheels and i love how they look, no spacers needed and it looks aggressive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kayo_michael--No need to apologize. I didn't know that the offset will effect the wear&tear on other parts, so I appreciate the info!

Ankit69--It's good to know that a 40 offset will fit. Have you experienced any abnormal wear on the tires/treads/joints/anything?

·
Registered
658 Posts
kayo_michael--No need to apologize. I didn't know that the offset will effect the wear&tear on other parts, so I appreciate the info!

Ankit69--It's good to know that a 40 offset will fit. Have you experienced any abnormal wear on the tires/treads/joints/anything?
not yet. had them on for maybe 2000 miles, everything looks ok.

alignment is good, and balancing was not a problem.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I doubt you will see any immediate impact of a few millimeters either way. Any problems would likely be over the long term, it’s tough to say though if that would even be the cause if anything happened – Your driving style & all the other little moving parts play a factor as well, not to mention these things will just wear out over time either way.

If you think about it they design these cars for a variety of sizes of wheels from the factory: In our case the 2nd gen six has 16” - 18” sizes & they all have different offsets, weights, characteristics, etc on the exact same suspension components. The one thing in common is they are *close* to the same – The 17x7’s are +55, the 18x8’s are +60 to keep thing pretty similar.

Will a +30/40et fit? Yes, as in it will bolt on and probably be drivable, but it will also stick outside the fender wells, change your handling characteristics, and lead to extra wear and tear sitting a good 20-25mm out on either side. You can always vary it up a little, but trying to stay closest to the stock spec will almost always lead to less headaches in the end.

There aren’t as many options in the +45 and up wheels sizes (esp in the larger 19-20” diameters), but there is something for every budget – Search TireRack.com for example, they have quite a few 18”/+50et and up wheel choices ranging from cheap $100 Kazera’s to $500 Volks/BBS ones.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the reply, Scorch, you helped to reassure some of my notions.

I ended up with these Enkei RS05 rims in the 18" x 8" size. They have a fairly high offset (+45 or +48, not sure) and should fit the wells nicely. I wanted to go for some FORGED rims as opposed to CAST, but they were all out of my price range. Spending $500 per wheel wouldn't leave me much money to spend on tires, which is just as important to me.

I'll post some pics once I get the wheels installed. :D

·
Registered
175 Posts
Good choice, nice and clean - Those are the style I want but in matte-black with a polished lip.

Only downside is cleaning all thsoe spokes ;-)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good choice, nice and clean - Those are the style I want but in matte-black with a polished lip.

Only downside is cleaning all thsoe spokes ;-)
Funny, that is exactly what I wanted at first. Then I realized that black-spoke/polished-lip would look weird on the navy-/midnight-/dark-blue color of my Mazda6. If I had a black, white, or red paint job, then I'd definitely go with the black-spoke/polished-lip look.

And I'm not worried about the cleaning. There are only 15 spokes, so it shouldn't take too long. It'll take me 5 minutes instead of the 30 seconds it would take to clean a 4-spoke wheel. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts