Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear forum members,

I am trying to jack up my Mazda 6 (2017 reg) correctly, and I am following instructions from the service manual (please see illustration attached).
Gesture Rectangle Line Font Parallel

However, the illustration doesn’t match what I see when I look underneath the car, lol (photo attached).
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

What am I missing? Where is the indicated jacking point?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
JACKING POSITIONS, VEHICLE LIFT (2 SUPPORTS) AND SAFETY STAND (RIGID RACK) POSITIONS

The above (and the photos) apply to the 2.5 litre gasoline powered Mazda's. Not sure re the diesel.

Note the photos, which show the rear central jacking point... It comprises that open-bottom "oval"... nearest the exhaust pipe. It is NOT on centre... I'd be a bit careful with it, especially. Also, it bears saying that you jack the frt and back, at its central jacking point, only one end at a time!

If you are going to jack the sills (i.e. the rocker panels) be sure to observe the positioning info. Do, most certainly, jack on the triple-reinforced pinch-weld seam, and use lumber dunnage (or high durometer rubber) to protect the paintwork.
I say jack on the pinch-weld seam... not inboard of same 'cuz you'll crack underbody plastic shielding, and obviously NOT outboard, as the rockers/sills are cigarette-paper-thin.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Lower control arm rear brackets is where I usually place my stands after jacking on the sill (using a hockey puck and at the correct location.) That's VERY strong. If you need to work on the suspension then jack at the control arm bracket and place the stands (WITH THE PROPER NOTCHED COVERS!) on the sills at the correct location.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
First of all, BIG THANKS to all of you for sparing the time to help me figure this out!

It is now clear that I was using the wrong workshop manual. I think that my model is Mazda6 GL: VIN is JMZGL 626601 with serial upwards of 500015. Is there a workshop manual for this exact model anywhere online? My Google search hasn't yielded anything.

I will use this post to summarise (with edits) all I've learned. Please let me know if I got it right!

'Official' front jacking point, on diagram and on a photo. To be accessed with a low-profile jack, from the front of the car.

Motor vehicle White Automotive lighting Automotive design Mode of transport
Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Rim

'Unofficial' front jacking point. Lower control arm, just behind the tyre. Can be used for placing 'axle stands', with a hockey-puck type pad. Can we actually just place the jack right underneath the bolt head (even with a pad)?

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Gas Cylinder Machine
Automotive tire Tread Jaw Tire Wheel

Once the car is lifted, we can support it on stands (WITH THE PROPER NOTCHED COVERS!) on the sills:
White Motor vehicle Product Automotive design Font
Automotive tire Table Wood Water Bumper

'Official' rear jacking point. Marked with red cirlcle on the diagram below. The photo shows a UK model, with the point on the 'offside'.
It appears that a 'crossmember' is straght, so Mazda's diagram probably points to the wrong thing! Do I understand correctly?

Motor vehicle White Automotive lighting Automotive design Mode of transport
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Automotive design

Thank you again, and please confirm if I got this right

EDIT 1: corrected GH -> GL
EDIT 2: corrected the photo of the rear jacking point, noting that it's on a UK car

Attachments

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I'm confused about several things...

i) GH chassis... If yours is a 2017 model year car (now you use the words "2017 registration"??) then to my way of thinking it should be a GJ or possibly a GL chassis car...? Others??

ii) maybe I'm blind, but where are your aero undercovers in your photos?

iii) in the attached photo, and referencing my "corrected Mazda diagram" the official Mazda rear jacking point should be on the left side of the car (the "offside" of the car, in UK terms) and forward of the rear "axle" centreline. Your pix shows it rear of the "axle" centreline, and on the nearside of the car. So your photo is wrongly labelled.

All of my comments apply to a GJ/GL... and the manual I reference (and give a hyperlink for) is for model year 2014+ cars.

Finally, re your comment about using notched lifting pads: be careful re how deep said notches are. You don't want 'em very deep lest i) the lifting action be applied on the aero undercovers (cracking same) or ii) lifting force be applied to the rocker panel (sill) or sill moulding. Very thin sill sheet metal. Some groove is good, but force should still be applied to the the triple reinforced sill pinch-weld flange.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i) GH chassis... If yours is a 2017 model year car (now you use the words "2017 registration"??) then to my way of thinking it should be a GJ or possibly a GL chassis car...? Others??
I've corrected my post to say GL, based on VIN number, but I could be wrong

ii) maybe I'm blind, but where are your aero undercovers in your photos?
I don't know what they are, but I personally haven't removed anything

iii) in the attached photo, and referencing my "corrected Mazda diagram" the official Mazda rear jacking point should be on the left side of the car (the "offside" of the car, in UK terms) and forward of the rear "axle" centreline. Your pix shows it rear of the "axle" centreline, and on the nearside of the car. So your photo is wrongly labelled.
Will correct! I think I have found the right point now!

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
The underfloor aero panels comprise plastic panels, some five- or six of them, to smooth undercar airflow, saving a smidge of fuel. Rather a PITA, but regardless... They abut- and follow the pinch weld flanges (on their inside flanks), and to the extent you have deep-grooved jackstand- or floor jack "buffers" or protective pads said plastic panels will be crushed, broken, cracked. Someone must've removed 'em on your car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts