Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It took me awhile but since I wore my front tires down after just 11,000 miles after being a bit aggressive on all the twisty bits, I broke down and picked up a new set of wheels and tires. To those who were extolling the virtues of upgrading the tires, I can totally understand now. The difference was immediately noticeable. Especially with turn-in. Even with low speed maneuvers like a sharp right turn, the response is much quicker and I find myself turning the wheel too much sometimes. The lightweight wheels made a significant difference not only in acceleration but also in braking. I'm still not quite used to how quickly this car stops in comparison to the distance it required with the stock wheels and tires. I end up stopping a bit short each time.
Just to give you an idea, I weighed both the oem and the VMR wheels with tires. The oem wheel/tire combo was between 54-55 lbs each, the VMR wheel with the wider tires weighed in at 47-48 lbs each. That's a significant reduction of 6+ lbs of unsprung weight in each wheel. I'm quite happy with the results.

Not too many people run my setup so I was a bit anxious about it, but definitely stay at 245 wide or below if you plan to run a +35mm offset, the front wheel is completely flush with the fender. Anything wider and you will rub. Thankfully, there's no rubbing for me, even during hard cornering.

VMR V710FF
19x8.5
+35mm
245/40/19

Now on to the pictures.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Is the car lowered at all? It looks real good. I've been looking for new wheels since I bought my 6 a month or two ago. Not only are the stock ones, well, stock but they're also badly curbed.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the car lowered at all? It looks real good. I've been looking for new wheels since I bought my 6 a month or two ago. Not only are the stock ones, well, stock but they're also badly curbed.
It's lowered 1" all around on Tanabe springs.

·
Super Moderator
16,842 Posts
It looks fantastic. I've been considering lowering mine about an inch as well. After seeing this, I might have to just bite the bullet and do it.
Careful - He's in Cali and you're in MA - entirely different worlds of driving needs lol.

I debated going lower and 1" was my absolute max. Then I drove around a bit more and realized it would be silly on these roads.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Careful - He's in Cali and you're in MA - entirely different worlds of driving needs lol.

I debated going lower and 1" was my absolute max. Then I drove around a bit more and realized it would be silly on these roads.
Hmm good point. I've got a friend with a CX5 who's pushing me to get the same Eibach lowering springs he's running to take it down about an inch.

I'll have to do some more thinking. I drove my first gen 3 for about a year and while it wasn't lowered, it was a whole lot lower than the 6 and speed bumps were... problematic. I like the look of the lowered 6 a lot but there's always that balance of what you want vs. what's practical.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
IMHO don't do it.

That front spoiler is quite hard to judge exactly where it is, and at stock height it will clear a "standard" curb block. This also means you're ok with a speed bump, since those are set specifically to less than that height in total. Down 1" it will NOT clear the curb block and might not clear a speed bump. If you prang it you're NOT going to like the price of fixing it either. If I did this I'd put front ultrasonic sensors on that lip for sure because ONE mistake is probably going to cost you $1,000+ instantly.

In addition if you ever drive where water isn't liquid that lack of clearance between tire and well is going to become a problem in a big hurry, maybe with significant damage associated to the liners or even body panels. If you NEVER go where ice or snow is a factor then it's fine, but if not.......

·
Registered
532 Posts
Car looks good! I wish I had continental dws money, but I only had Delinte d7 money, lol. Also, ditto on the 245's. Any wider in the front and most folks will have issues unless the offset is dialed in and I'm on 20x10 +45, 245/35. The rear needs a spacer of prob 5-10mm or so to match the front.

And as far as lowering goes, I'm in NC and I'm lowered 2 inches and I havnt had an issue with speed bumps. It does not clear curbs, but I don't pull in, I back in 99% of the time, when possible and sometimes when not possible, lol.

1 inch I dont think is a big deal. It gives it a more aggressive/modern/sporty look without sacrificing anything but 1 inch. And if anyone is worrying about curbs, then yall are prob what I call "curb touchers" in which you judge a curb by touching it with the front tire.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
733 Posts
One inch drop is nothing to worry about at all, My normal ride height is 3.5"- 4" dropped and still able to drive normal no issue going over speed bumps, dips, this car tends to have a lot of clearance even after a drastic drop.

·
Super Moderator
16,842 Posts
1 inch I dont think is a big deal.
One inch drop is nothing to worry about at all, My normal ride height is 3.5"- 4" dropped and still able to drive normal no issue going over speed bumps, dips, this car tends to have a lot of clearance even after a drastic drop.
Definitely sounds like ya'll live in NC and LA lol. 1 inch drop around here means scraping or not in a LOT of cases. I scrape on stock height more than I'd like to and I'm careful to avoid everything I can.

THAT BEING SAID: Let's get the subject back on topic of how nice OP's ride looks. We can discuss the pros and cons of lowering in another thread :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Continental Extremecontact Sport+
The car looks great! I really like those wheels, and I have the same tires on my ride. It's definitely a noticeable difference switching out the OEM wheels & tires for lightweight rims and grippy tires. I saved around 10-11 lbs per wheel/tire combo with my set up, and it makes the car way more fun to drive.

I really like the lowered look, would like to do that to mine but up here in NE Ohio, it probably wouldn't be practical.

·
Registered
510 Posts
This looks great! I want to do this, but I’m going to wait until my tires wear out all the way. One question, how come you went with lowering springs instead of a full coilover set?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've run coilovers on my previous cars and they are no good for daily driving. Unless you plan to track your car and can afford to have a suspension tuner set it up just right with the proper corner weighting or you're just trying to slam your car for asthetics, lowering springs are a better choice for 90% of the people out there. Reason being is that coilovers never ride as smooth or as comfortably as a regular lowering spring setup. Even with higher-end coilovers like the set I had with adjustments for both compression and rebound, they were just waaay too harsh to deal with on a daily basis. Cornered like it was on rails, but not really easy to live with. A good set of Koni or Bilstein shocks/struts paired with a nice set of lowering springs will perform nearly as well as the coilovers but without the ride quality penalty.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts