Mazda 6 Forums banner

Finally some proof of FULL TIME AWD

20K views 55 replies 33 participants last post by  KevinK2 
#1 ·
Hey all. I know it's been debated ad nausem to what extent the rear wheels operate when there is no slippage in the front. Many people have subscribed to the notion that they only receive power when the fronts are slipping, and the computer decides to activate the PTO/Center clutches.

Well, today I happened to download the audio podcast from mazdausa.com about the mazdapseed6. About a third of the way through the playback, details on the AWD system are given as follows:

"The active torque split differential distrubutes power to the front and rear based on an analysis of yaw rate, lateral G force, steering angle and engine status. Rear distribution ranges from 0 to 50 percent, though the former (0%) only occurs during slow parking lot crawling and when the hand brake is applied so as not to bind the rear drivetrain when the rear wheels are suddenly brought to a stop."

So I guess that pretty much settles the argument...assuming that this material is accurate. Personally I believe the information given the detailed nature of the entire podcast, but of course, take it for what you will.

Edit: I just got towards the end of the podcast, and they said something that actually got a chuckle from me: "...the ride is controlled, but not punishing like some boy-racer tuner."

See less See more
#2 ·
You can feel the rear wheels pushing the car when rounding a corner. And there is no slip from the fronts then, that's all the proof I need.

#11 ·
I'm only happy as it confirms what I've been saying.

#12 ·
Also makes sense that those experiencing a described "howl" in the rear end at 45 mph can eliminate it with slight pull of the hand brake. I noticed a noise and sure enough, slightly pulling up on the hand brake makes it go away. Tells me the rear diff is engaged.

Oh, and I've slid it around enough corners to know that when I want it, the rear is working for me... ;)

#13 ·
Also makes sense that those experiencing a described "howl" in the rear end at 45 mph can eliminate it with slight pull of the hand brake. I noticed a noise and sure enough, slightly pulling up on the hand brake makes it go away. Tells me the rear diff is engaged.

Oh, and I've slid it around enough corners to know that when I want it, the rear is working for me... ;)
[/b]
Oddly enough, I have this problem with only 500 miles on mine. It's very, very faint and I told the Service manager about it, and that it goes away with the handbrake up. He told me to just drive it, and if it got louder, or something broke, they would fix it. Do you know what the problem is??

#14 ·
there is 5% of torque that goes to the rear @ all time. It can never be on full lock because of binding. MS6 has no center diff, only a coupling. Coupling locks (slipping) to transfer power. If it was on at all the time the coupling would essentially heat up to the point of melting.

#17 ·
Thanks for the find on our AWD with all the debating before was not sure the real set-up of it.

#18 ·
EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You want proof... its simple.. go test-drive a FRONT wheel drive vehicle.. or REAR wheel drive.... And you'll know in a SECOND...

Honestly, its hard for me to tell that i have AWD from putting 16,000 miles on it... Till I get into a vehicle that DOESN"T have it... thats when you really notice the difference... You get used to having all that power in the speed6... available at all times.... with little wheel slippage...

But when you get into something with 2 wheels... they'll break loose all the time... Even with almost half the power... Any ricer will tell ya... 300 HP Honda Civic... front wheel drive.. 300 horse power turbo car... will burn the tires in just about all gears... its more work to get and keep traction with THAT much power on 2 wheels than most people realize...

The speed6 makes it easy...

#19 ·
I realize it wasnt necessarily revolutionary information, but it's nice to hear it from a source on Mazdausa.com and put concisely and clearly. Whether it's 5% or 50%, it's nice to know it's there.

#20 ·
EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You want proof...
[/b]
Go to a race track, end of story, this is NOT a FWD car! The more throttle you apply at speed, the stickier it gets. Honestly, TWS taught me I'm NOT as good a driver as I thought I was. The instructors showed me how with more throttle you apply (obviously to a point), this car sticks more and more! Granted letting those guys drive your car is more than a bit scary :)

my 2 cents

#22 ·
I realize it wasnt necessarily revolutionary information, but it's nice to hear it from a source on Mazdausa.com and put concisely and clearly. Whether it's 5% or 50%, it's nice to know it's there.
[/b]
At 5% it's just FWD in a "ready" mode for awd, where the free travel has been taken out of the centerclutch. Thanks to very clever, fast response electronics, it acts like it has a center diff and full time awd.

All's well as long as front wheels are at same or faster rpms vs rears. Put severly worn tires on rear, and a braking torque (5%) will reverse load the ring and pinion, and could cause clunk when high % awd is later demanded as fronts start to spin. This assumes transfer case and final drive have consistent ratios.

#23 ·
Interesting, but good to know, there are times I can feel the rear diff engage I swear but at other times it is seamless.

#25 ·
Great post, I'd never heard of the podcast. Maybe I got more (better) car than I thought - I had believed it was basically FWD until the computer decided to go AWD. So the understeer is design intent of the suspension and weight dist, not due to being an FWD platform. I'd always thought of Haldex as a soccer-mom system - less weight/fuel economy penalty than true 4wd and good in the snow but not intended as a solution for getting power hooked to the road. I'll be convinced when I can data log when the clutch is engaged. I'd also like to know how it can vary the amount of torque going awd. If the fronts are on ice and the rear on pavement I'd hope it would send 99% to the back, otherwise you're not going to move.
It's human nature to praise one's own decisions, but I keep finding the MS6 to be a little better than I expected.

#26 ·
it can never send more then 50% of the power to the rear, unless the front is completely spining. The coupling goes to full lock then power is distributed 50/50 but most of the time its 95% to the front. To send more then 50% to the rear you need a center diff with lsd. MS6 System is fwd based coupling, think Hadex but instead of hydrolics it uses electronic coupling. STI/G35/IS250 is rwd based, so its sends majority to the rear then front coupling slips and locks to send power to the front when needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.