Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok got the car back from my little accident in October. Everything looks pretty good, panels line up good, paint is good (no trash or orange peel). So i start driving it down the road and it starts SMOKING REALLY bad. At this point I am like what the F_ _k!!!! I thought the car was on fire it was REALLY that bad. I pull over and there is smoke pouring out of the exhaust and it SMELLED BAD!!!!!!. It smelled like a mixture of scorched cluth and burning oil. The color of smoke is not any definitive color (black or blue or white). The engine does not sound bad and I checked to make sure there was oil and coolent, which there was! I pull back onto the road and proceed to drive it home (I had an oppointment to get too). The smoke continues for another 6-7 miles and then starts to dissapate. It is not smoking any more but there still is a smell to it. What do you all think it is? The car sat at the dealer getting fixed for over a month and I have my opinions on what it is but I wanted to see what you all think.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Someone probably droped a peice of plastic or fluid or something where it got really hot.

·
Registered
967 Posts
did they clear coat your tail pipe? :)
[/b]
Don't laugh, I've had that happen before, not just clear coat, but FULL paint job on my tail pipes! The tech said that he thought it'd "look cool." WTF!?

Anyway, that's a weird situation you've got there man. I've never heard of something like that. Do you know what the mileage read before you dropped it off and what it read afterwards? I had a Mustang worked on once and they removed my fenderwell intake and left it lying around the shop until they finished my car. When picked up my car it had a bad smell coming from it after driving a little bit. Turns out there was a bunch of powder in the intake tube and the inside of the filter from the shop work. You know, that bondo, primer dust, etc. that settles all over the shop. When they reinstalled the intake it sucked into the engine and burned causing the smell. I didn't have any damage, but I was pissed.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The smoke was coming out of the exhaust itself not around the tailpipes and it was front end damage anyway. But I think I figured it out?

We complain so much about how rich the A/F is and have dyno proved it runs pig rich. Well the I think the smoke was coming from the car sitting for over a month while it got worked on. Only started to pull it in and out of the shop. The exhaust never really got that hot. I think it was the exhaust itself that was smoking. All that unburnt fuel in the Cat's. has not been cycled/built up and started to get hot and burn off. Thats my theory at least. It's not smoking anymore and the smell has about all gone away. Runs fine no cell lights so I am going to roll with it. It FEELS SO good to drive it again, almost feels faster than before the accident :drive: :laugh: ..........wel it could have been the Nissan Sentra rental car I had to drive for a month and a half. 1.8 liter baby :p and an Automatic at that :zzz:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts