Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
one week ago i decided to get rims that were on sale. then i tried out the duplicolor caliper kit. i might add that painting the calipers was fun, especially using the painting skills that i didnt have.

comments, opinions, insults, etc. are all welcome.

next purchase: EIBACH PRO-KIT SPRINGs :D

i know my car is dirty. its been raining on and off the past week. in fact, it rained after i took these.

·
Registered
206 Posts
looks very nice!!! drop it a little, if you can. i'm sure the guam roads are similar to ours, so we can't go too low... :( but it looks sweet!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
looks very nice!!! drop it a little, if you can. i'm sure the guam roads are similar to ours, so we can't go too low... :( but it looks sweet!
[/b]
i know!...hopefully when i do drop it, its not so dramatic. might mean to slow down more on bumps and potholes but hey, at least it'll look better...agreed?

·
Registered
206 Posts
definately! it sure would look better, but these roads i tell you...may cause damage to the suspension or underbody parts...not too low now...bigger rims maybe? to fill the gap in the wheelwell? i seen a nice 6 where i live with 20's,looks perfect.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
looks good , I'm doing mine red later on today with the exact same kit + black on the rotors & dust shield

Please take closer shots of the calipers .... you happy with the red ; not too dull ? .... guess I'll find out later when I do mine
[/b]
actually the red sticks out and goes with the color of my car and rims.

[attachmentid=15612]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Whoa Speedy Gonzales ! You just took these for moi , merci buckets ! :)

Man that red is luscious , now I can't wait to do mine !!! :yesnod:

did you have a lot of corrosion and how did you go about removing it ? Like I mentioned in other post , I'm gonna use a crimped wire wheel brush mounted on a drill .
What about the brake cleaner in the kit , does it dry quickly and did you use any water to rinse the dust/debris ?
Might as well list your steps haha .

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hahaha...the duplicolor caliper paint kit includes:

caliper cleaner (does dry quickly at some points)
im not sure how big the paint is but it looks like a pint
brush (for the paint of course)
paint mixer (looks like a huge popcicle stick)
and a small roll of tape

basically what i did was i bought myself a wire brush. (i couldnt the one i already have so i bought one anyway). since my car is 2 years old, i figured i needed to do some heavy duty cleaning. i just brushed the caliper down and got as many dust and debris. i didnt use water to rinse it down because i used the cleaner for it and just wiped it down. basically scrubbed off as much as i could and started painting. since i was apprehensive about taking off the caliper, i just left it on and just taped the places i didnt need to paint. the paint may seem thin at first but thats just the first layer. the paint itself dries up pretty quick so be sure to get as much covered as possible. do not overlap the paint thats alerady dry. u dont need to worry about that till the 2nd coat. after you've done the 1st coat. it should take about 15 minutes for it to completely dry then you can continue with ur 2nd coat. use ur 2nd coat to cover and even everything out as much as you can. i personally stopped at the 2nd coat but thats up to you to decide. after the paint dries u can either continue with a 3rd coat or stop like i did. simply place your wheel back on and vwuala...a handpainted (not sprayed) caliper. hehehe

there wasnt as much corrosion as i had expected. cleaning it with a wire brush sure made a difference though. let me know how that drill went. u might wanna use a toothbrush size wirebrush to get the spots the drill cant get.

thanks for ur comment

·
Registered
118 Posts
dang...the whole look is nice!!! that red would look tight on my ride... so when u comin, we can do projects togther...lol and be broke togther like we discussed!! 4serious though...it looks really good!! did u get the springs u told me about?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dang...the whole look is nice!!! that red would look tight on my ride... so when u comin, we can do projects togther...lol and be broke togther like we discussed!! 4serious though...it looks really good!! did u get the springs u told me about?
[/b]
shuush gene. dayum boy. someone might jock my deal! hahaha

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Congrats on the wheels and good job with the calipers. The drop will really add a nice look.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Have you considered the Mazdaspeed springs Group Buy? I would seriously look into that, as a lot of sedan owners have used the wagon/hatch springs for a decent drop, with out the slammed look!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
looks nice now tint that side reflector so it matches the black theme.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have you considered the Mazdaspeed springs Group Buy? I would seriously look into that, as a lot of sedan owners have used the wagon/hatch springs for a decent drop, with out the slammed look!
[/b]
i was...but after looking at shipping, its like buying 2 sets of springs. lol. i'll look into it and see what happens. any pictures with the wagon hatch springs? greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
hahaha...the duplicolor caliper paint kit includes:

caliper cleaner (does dry quickly at some points)
im not sure how big the paint is but it looks like a pint
brush (for the paint of course)
paint mixer (looks like a huge popcicle stick)
and a small roll of tape

basically what i did was i bought myself a wire brush. (i couldnt the one i already have so i bought one anyway). since my car is 2 years old, i figured i needed to do some heavy duty cleaning. i just brushed the caliper down and got as many dust and debris. i didnt use water to rinse it down because i used the cleaner for it and just wiped it down. basically scrubbed off as much as i could and started painting. since i was apprehensive about taking off the caliper, i just left it on and just taped the places i didnt need to paint. the paint may seem thin at first but thats just the first layer. the paint itself dries up pretty quick so be sure to get as much covered as possible. do not overlap the paint thats alerady dry. u dont need to worry about that till the 2nd coat. after you've done the 1st coat. it should take about 15 minutes for it to completely dry then you can continue with ur 2nd coat. use ur 2nd coat to cover and even everything out as much as you can. i personally stopped at the 2nd coat but thats up to you to decide. after the paint dries u can either continue with a 3rd coat or stop like i did. simply place your wheel back on and vwuala...a handpainted (not sprayed) caliper. hehehe

there wasnt as much corrosion as i had expected. cleaning it with a wire brush sure made a difference though. let me know how that drill went. u might wanna use a toothbrush size wirebrush to get the spots the drill cant get.

thanks for ur comment
[/b]
I agree with what you mention above , after using the kits myself (red/black) . The wire brush did an awesome job of scrubing a year and a half of corrosion . I ended up using one small 1 1/2in. + 2 1/2 in. circular bristles . I took a lot of pictures for step by step posting . I am very pleased but I have a final step to do to them before I post'em up : stickers (haven't seen these yet on calipers ;) ) - I have them already , but I want to put a clear spray coat over to protect the stickers from peeling off .... so , I have to wait the 5 day curing period (that's when you go surpass the 1 hour deadline betwween coats) to prevent flaking .

I'll make a new thread upon mod completion coming up this Friday (I'M off every Fridays heheh) .... I'm also installing the new MAZDASPEED GB Springs :nana: this Saturday afternoon + my BMW fender flashers Saturday morning FINALLY ! , if all goes according to plan :yesnod: So stay tuned , emii_rei

Oh , and that red IS luscious in person ... pictures don't do it justice ....

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I was thinking red myself but I just kept thinking christmass, glad I didn't cause it would be the only red thing on the exterior.

still undeceided, but I like my Blue.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice look emii! I really like the contrasting red calipers+black wheels :)

What tires/size are you running emii?
[/b]
i believe 215/45R17

1 - 20 of 23 Posts