Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at a bunch of different cars, mostly Mazdas, and I even test drove a 2006 6 that was a piece of junk. I was just about to go look at a Protege5 when I found this baby on Craigslist

That's a dealer photo, doesn't really do the car justice. It's a 2006 Speed sport package. 140k miles, all maintenance done by the Mazda dealer, in cherry shape with absolutely no mods as far as I an tell. Everything works in it, the only real defects are a few scuffs inside, and I need a new shift knob since it's kind of beat up.

I love this thing. It's a much, much better car than I was looking for and I didn't think I'd find anything that was in this good a shape. I don't have any plans for it other than maintenance, this thing is actually much faster than my actual sports cars so I don't have any desire to do any mods. The only thing I might change is the Bose sound system, I might replace the amp and speakers at some point, but that's not really pressing right now. My main focus is to learn how to shift it properly. I've always owned manuals, but I have to get used to this stiff clutch and the really close gearing. I've been taking it easy for the most part so I keep chugging the engine a little on takeoff from a stop, because if I don't I take off like a bat out of hell. I'm going to make sure it's totally mechanically sound before I really push it though.

Attachments

·
Registered
491 Posts
Nice!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Congrats & welcome! What sports cars is it faster than?

Other Mazdas :D

I currently have an 84 RX-7 GSL-SE (which is going to go soon) and a 96 Miata, and I've had a 91 RX-7 in the past. I was shopping for a regular 6 to be my "other" car, then the Speed showed up on Craigslist Saturday and I grabbed it. The funny thing is that the 84 RX-7 actually feels faster than the Speed, but in reality it's nowhere close.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Other Mazdas :D

I currently have an 84 RX-7 GSL-SE (which is going to go soon) and a 96 Miata, and I've had a 91 RX-7 in the past. I was shopping for a regular 6 to be my "other" car, then the Speed showed up on Craigslist Saturday and I grabbed it. The funny thing is that the 84 RX-7 actually feels faster than the Speed, but in reality it's nowhere close.
I don't consider the 84 RX7 a sports car, but cool beans. I'm on my 3rd Miata. Only thing they lack stock is HP, but mine is blown so that is taken care of lol

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
Welcome and congrats!!!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been taking it pretty easy on the car this week. I mostly drive in town so I can't really safely get into the boost, and I want to get a better feel for the car mechanically before I really push it. That said, I did get on it once yesterday, the car felt great under boost, and I let it do it's thing as I accelerated, and before I knew it I was officially at Ludicrous Speed. Gotta be careful in this car or the tickets will come...

Also, blatant engine pic:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Start modding! Cobb AP, RMM upgrade (I had SU) & HPFP upgrade to start. Also add CAI & BPV (I had AEM & TurboXS)

If you want to spruce up the interior, I do have a leather e-brake boot & handle + leather seat belt receiver wraps for sale. I also have an OEM outdoor car cover for it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have no plans to mod at this time, but I just ordered the AP so I could load a better map and monitor my AF ratios, and will probably upgrade the mounts as a preventative measure. Will probably do the HPFP as well, I'm going for reliability and not overall power here.

The handle on my ebrake is really worn, I may take you up on that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts