Mazda 6 Forums banner

141 - 160 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
both should be level. as the light focuses into the distance, the two steps will combine into 1 large step.

Shine your lights on a large white wall and than back the car away, it should focus into 1 large step.

the basic principle behind the step is light scatter. Image you on the road. Single lane on your side and single lane on the rght side divided by the center line. The lower side of the step should shine to the left of the center line, and the point where the step gets taller will illuminate from right of center line on up further in the road

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
both should be level. as the light focuses into the distance, the two steps will combine into 1 large step.

Shine your lights on a large white wall and than back the car away, it should focus into 1 large step.

the basic principle behind the step is light scatter. Image you on the road. Single lane on your side and single lane on the rght side divided by the center line. The lower side of the step should shine to the left of the center line, and the point where the step gets taller will illuminate from right of center line on up further in the road
[/b]
yup yup !! it's more like
<TAB>__/``
__/

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
LIKE THIS BITCHES.... :nana:

more pictures to come...and i should hopefully have this video uploaded within the next few minutes....
its 50 megs, but it'll give the guys who are thinking about this mod something to ponder...

i dont think my cut off is completely perfect, but its pretty damn good with me! :love:
<as always the light output is not fully duplicated by a digital camera...the only way is to see the diffrence is in person. the light output it anywhere to 2 to 5 times better>

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Nice job. I think you need a little more adjusting though. Both lights are pointing up too high. I have a feeling you gonna get flashed often. Cant tell too good though, I may be wrong. Take some more pics of u directly behind cars and at different distances.

When I adjusted mine headlights I also used the cars in front of me as a reference point. I wanted them to project as far as possible but not too high to blind oncoming traffic. Best way to determine this is by looking at the cut off on the back of the car in front of you. If it goes above there rear trunk line and illuminates the drivers head and rear view mirror, you blinding oncoming traffic

http://faqlight.carpassion.info/hl-aiming.htm

·
Registered
172 Posts
Your right side needs to be lowered a little to match the left side. As Mazda6s was saying, as you get further away from the wall, they will merge into one step.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
yeah i kinda figured that i should lower the right side a little bit...nah they're good its like right at the bottom of the trunk..and like upper part of the bumper on my neighbor's corolla....so i think thats a prety low car as low as they come stock at least...so this way when i accelerate hard, or hit a bump the cutoff will bearly hit the sideview mirros, giving those people infront of me a little taste of blueish purpleish color....

heres one pointing on other cars i think that you requested...i'll see if maybe i can take a few more shots of it tonight....

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Your right side needs to be lowered a little to match the left side. As Mazda6s was saying, as you get further away from the wall, they will merge into one step.
[/b]

I know and i seem to have corrected it so its 1 big step and not like 2 mini steps seperated...i got a question though..i feel as though on coming traffic is okay, because they're below the step... but the people that are driving say on the highway...and your in the middle lane...i kinda feel as if anyone that is in the right lane but say about 30 or 40 feet in front of you to the right is getting nailed off their left hand side view mirror...no?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
I know and i seem to have corrected it so its 1 big step and not like 2 mini steps seperated...i got a question though..i feel as though on coming traffic is okay, because they're below the step... but the people that are driving say on the highway...and your in the middle lane...i kinda feel as if anyone that is in the right lane but say about 30 or 40 feet in front of you to the right is getting nailed off their left hand side view mirror...no?
[/b]

Its their stupidity for passing on the right, or you just need to quit crusing in the middle lane :D

On a 3 lane highway, far right is the slow lane, middle is fast lane, far left is the fastest lane.

You pass the slower traffic in the left lanes. Far right lane is the cruising lane. Do people ever follow these rules? NO! Americans cant drive worth a shit.

Your headlight arent pointing up ( I hope) so as soon as light travels from the projector is heading downward onto the road. Theres only a minor glare, but no blinding or annoying, when someone passes you on the right. The only cars that really pose the problem your talking about would be SUV's, cause they sit higher above the road. That will only happen when there really close to you also. If your coming to a stop light and your cut off isnt on the back of drivers head in front of you, your fine.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
Since i have been researching all the hid options availible to me I opted for the full retro.I ordered bosch ece e46 projectors and an apexcone 8000k 35w D2S kit today.Has anyone else done an apexcone kit with the ece projectors????

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
just a question, why do u want to get a 8000K with bosch prj? i thought u wanted retro just for the output???

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
wow 8000k i guess that would look cool...but dont be surprised if you can't see more than 10 feet infront of you, and if you point them up you'll blind the shyt outa everyone else...

i believe someone else here did a xtec kit/bosch ece projectors as well...didnt turn out the way he wanted, hopefully your's will be better...good luck!

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
If you look at a lumen output chart,
H1 silverstars=1650 lumens
factory bulbs=1350 lumens,
Apexcone 8000k 35w kit=3100 lumens
McCulloh 8000k kit=2550 lumens
If i did my research right,using the ECE projectors increases the lumen value over the DOT projectors.I think i should be ok on visibility,if not I can buy the bulbs seperately and get a 4500k or a 5000k,or if the color is right just buy the race ballasts and upgrade.It may cost more,but that is the price i will pay for modding my car.
If i am incorrect on the ECE projectors increasing lumens over the factory ones please let me ASAP,so I can cancel the projectors and get H1 bulbs.Thanks in advance guys
Also, the reason i went with the 8000k is the color.After speaking with Donny at therpmstore.com i decided to go with that combination.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
Color temp will not increase output. Your better off going 4100, 4300, or the most 5000k. I dont beieve 50w ballast doesnt effect lumes that much.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
bottom line is yes...if you go with the ECE projectors that will increase lumes compared to the DOT projectors which have a some what milky lens. These DOT projectors do however help when driving at night and you need to really read road signs....with my ECE ones it makes reading road signs kind of a pain.

you will be def. better off with the ECE projectors...where did you get them from?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the Apexcone a halogen conversion kit? If it is designed to convert halogen to HID by using a rebased bulb, then the bulb will only fit H1 bulb holders (H1 projectors). If this is true, then going to an ECE projector (or any D2S projector) will not fit.

In regards to color output, 8K will not be as bright. In OEM HID's, the color that you see in the distance is not the color of the light output. It is the color from the cutoff, which is created from the projector / shield combination. As you get closer to it, the blue color will turn bright white or even a touch of yellow (i.e. 4100 - 4200K). If you want the best of both worlds, you can use the Bosch ECE projectors with 4100 - 4200K bulbs, and just bend the shield to obtain the colorful cutoff. This way it will be bright and have a colorful cutoff.

If you want more color than that, then go with Valeo or Stanley projectors.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
I understand color will not increase output,you can look at this chart for example,by my color choice i understand i am giving up lumen output,i ordered a apexcone D2S kit from rpm and the projectors from hidplanet

http://www.therpmstore.com/product_info.ph...;products_id=38

most of the 50w kits are illegal for highway use in kansas.
legal limit is 300 candle power or 3771 lumens.
I have done a lot of research on the legal side of this as i have owned cars in the past that were police magnets,i don't want to pay that much for auto insurance again.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the Apexcone a halogen conversion kit? If it is designed to convert halogen to HID by using a rebased bulb, then the bulb will only fit H1 bulb holders (H1 projectors). If this is true, then going to an ECE projector (or any D2S projector) will not fit.

In regards to color output, 8K will not be as bright. In OEM HID's, the color that you see in the distance is not the color of the light output. It is the color from the cutoff, which is created from the projector / shield combination. As you get closer to it, the blue color will turn bright white or even a touch of yellow (i.e. 4100 - 4200K). If you want the best of both worlds, you can use the Bosch ECE projectors with 4100 - 4200K bulbs, and just bend the shield to obtain the colorful cutoff. This way it will be bright and have a colorful cutoff.

If you want more color than that, then go with Valeo or Stanley projectors.
[/b]

I think he is going to get the D2S bulbs/ Apexcone kit from therpmstore.com....with that kit can they fit into the Bosch E46 ECE projectors? good question...Hmmm

will these Valeo, and Stanley projectors fit into our housing the orange bracket? i always thought they were a diffrent size compared to the PNP E46/Audi TT Projectors....

141 - 160 of 191 Posts
About this Discussion
190 Replies
21 Participants
Daner919
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing