Mazda 6 Forums banner

81 - 100 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
So we're looking at like $440 when its all said and done...i can't remember if this process involves baking the headlight..i mean which i dont have a problem doing...but my mom might be a little wierded out...

so bottom line i know ive seen the pictures...and i aggreee that they are sweeeet as hell..but just wondering if i should drop this amount of loot on these...or if i should save like almost half the amount and get a cheap old XTEC kit...or McCoulough...<sigh> so confused....maybe i should just start saving...my dumbass went out and bought a sub, and amp which was my last "mod" but this is something that i might have to do in the future...thanx for all the input much appreciate!

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
yes, you will have to bake the headlights.

personally, the retro would be the better choice. from what i understand, the projectors in our headlights are set up to provide better output for the halogen bulbs, not HID. you can do it without the retro...but to get the best output for your HIDs, you will need an HID projector.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
So we're looking at like $440 when its all said and done...i can't remember if this process involves baking the headlight..i mean which i dont have a problem doing...but my mom might be a little wierded out...

so bottom line i know ive seen the pictures...and i aggreee that they are sweeeet as hell..but just wondering if i should drop this amount of loot on these...or if i should save like almost half the amount and get a cheap old XTEC kit...or McCoulough...<sigh> so confused....maybe i should just start saving...my dumbass went out and bought a sub, and amp which was my last "mod" but this is something that i might have to do in the future...thanx for all the input much appreciate!
[/b]

Looks like $401 with shipping from what I'm looking at. Comes with everything you need. Oh, but if you're getting the harness, than yes, $440. I should just order this right now, seeing as how I just blew another OSRAM on the way home today. My new house is kinda in the sticks, and I feel like I can't see shit driving home from work when I have the evening shifts.

Only question is, can I get this past my fiancee, since I'm also getting leather seats???

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
I would go with the retro (includes baking the lights, it was my first time too and it was cake). I recommend it 200%!! True HID's look 10000 times better than any kit out there. It damn beautiful. If you look in a rear view mirror of a retro'd 6 thats behind you, imagine a super bright white light with a glowing blue ring around. The blue sorta illuminates the outer white, its a little irridensance like. But, when you hit a dip or a bumb, or any up and down suspension movement, it flickers to a blue and purple and once it levels out its bright white again. Plus visibility is a WHOLE lot better than a kit. With kits, you get that same blue output constantly plus lack of useable visibilty. HID retro give a pretty color shifting yet still maintanes constant bright white visibility from the driver point of view.

I would only put HID bulbs in a HID projecter to insure proper beam focus, output, cotrolled glare, and the one of a kind colorful cut off.

Only question is, can I get this past my fiancee, since I'm also getting leather seats???
[/b]

You can always argue the point, HID= more realiable, longer lasting, improved visibilty, and above all SAFETY.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
[/b]
Ask her if she wants you to die in a horrible fiery auto wreck.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Got a little diagram and soome photos on how I got the wires through my dust cap.

This is the driver side headlight witht he ballast wires existing the right side of the cap to the bottom left side of the headlight assembly.

I already pre drilled the center of the caps with out thinking. This is a big NO NO. This is not a kit, the D2S connectors rest at a right angle. I sealed the hole up with 3 layers of electrical tape ( I drilled a 1 inch hole 'doh) and the sealed outer ring and tape edges with strip caulking (aka dumb dumb) and also surrounding the dust caps edges and tabs. I was not gonna spend $30 each for new dust caps from the dealer. So far, after 2 rain storms and 1 pressure wash, I havent had any leaking or fogging issues.

So on this side they'll exit to the right and the passenger side will exit to the left. I also extened the pos. and neg. leads of the OEM low beam wires so I can wire them to the harness relays.

Driver side assemmbly:

·
Registered
112 Posts
thanks for making it clear to me

·
Registered
172 Posts
I didn't want to start another thread on this, so I will just post pictures here of my ECE E46 retro. I am using Bosch / AL ballast.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
damn.. now that's a nice cutoff.. !!!! congrats cornholio..

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yeah, that looks amazing. Did you find a pair of projectors that are true L&R or did you do it like Mazda 6s did with the two same projectors?
[/b]
I got the ECE projectors from HIDPlanet, which were the same side. I then got a complete pair (left and right side) of DOT projectors cheap on ebay because the lense was chipped on one. I just swapped the lense and shield out to make a complete set of ECE projectors.

Alan

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
yeah i thought of doing the same thing too, but i dont want an extra set of same side DOT prj lying ard in my apartment..... so were you able to sell the unused prj?

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
yeah i thought of doing the same thing too, but i dont want an extra set of same side DOT prj lying ard in my apartment..... so were you able to sell the unused prj?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Not yet, I haven't tried selling the DOT projectors. One is completely intact, while the other has a chip in the lense. I know they wouldn't be worth much, but then again I didn't pay much for them anyway.

Alan

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
[/b]

I was about to buy those from him LOL to do what u just did. But I figured out the hidplanet projecotrs work just fine

my cut off looks exactly like your and aim just like yours

BTW where did u mount your ballasts?

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
lol... i c... damn i m sold to the ECE lens and shield..... but seriously, we really need to compare output between the ECE and DOT, now if i can get a hold of Hieppo with his ECE prj....

·
Registered
172 Posts
The ballasts are mounted to the bottom of the headlight housing. The ignitor is inside the headlight, underneath the projector. The same place that t_mo_t did. There is a bracket with pre-drilled holes that is designed for the ignitor to be mounted there.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
so you bought bosch/al gen2 ballast huh?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
so you only got the hidplanet projectors and not the whole kit?

81 - 100 of 191 Posts