Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just about done with my retro. Got the kit form Hidplanet.com. The headlight part is done. All I gotta do is trim the dustcaps, run power, aim, and reinstall everything.

The ballasts in that spot is perfect. Even adding an intake, theres plenty of room on the driver side and it clears everything on the passanger even the washer resivour.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Whoa! Wait just a second! The kit from HIDPlanet (with the ECE-SPEC lenses) actually fits? I thought it came with two identical projectors, not a right and a left like you need for the 6. Is this not true?

Please, do tell, I'd love to buy that kit from them.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whoa! Wait just a second! The kit from HIDPlanet (with the ECE-SPEC lenses) actually fits? I thought it came with two identical projectors, not a right and a left like you need for the 6. Is this not true?

Please, do tell, I'd love to buy that kit from them.
[/b]

It does, but who says it cant be done? :) On the driver side, only 2 screws line up. I still used all 3, the third sorta holds the edge down onto the bracket. They both align pretty dorm close +/- 1/4 inch. But it's easily fixable using the factoy adjustment screws.

I was pissed for a sec cause they only give 2 right side projecotrs, but it still worked. Thats how HID planet gets their shipment though, they only recieve right side lenses. I went with them cause I wanted ECE lenses and cut off.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Hmm, should be interesting to see how it works once you have it all back together. I'd be afraid it will jiggle or pop out of alignment without having all the screws in...

I think you really need to have the projectors in there perfectly for it to work right, without looking cockeyed. Can't wait to see the final result though!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually its not cocked eyed. It's still level just like the other side. The projecotr sits in there perfect and doesnt jiggle at all. # third screw acts as a peg and is still holding it down on the edge.

They can still be adjusted too. Dont forget there are adjustment knobs on the back of the cover to adjust in every direction. The pics I posted are actually the left side headlight with a right side projector. It looks off center but its just the camera angle.

Also it shouldnt pop out with even 2 screws. The screws only hold it in place on the bracket. The whole unit is held in by the pop in adjustment knobs whicj are very secure.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
nicely done !! did you get any wiring harness for those? it's recommended... you can build one.. or you can buy it off from somewhere...

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was gonna make my own but I got lazy and went ahead and bought one from xenondepot.com. The kit is good enough to power the HID's.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah. I'm putting notches around the outer edge making my own rubber boot through the notches to seal it back up.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
$400 for everything shipped (ballast, bulbs, ballast covers, and ECE projectors from HIDplanet.com). Second set of headlights is optional. Price ranges from $150-$1200 for a used or new set of headlights.

And it is definately worth it. This can be said to be one of the best and most useful mods out there. Once you go with OEM HID's you will never go back to halogens. I'm gonna retro fit some audi S6 bi-xenon projectors in my girls 03 Jetta GLI.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Definately post up some night shots of the lights when you get a chance.
[/b]

Dont worry putting the bumber back on right now. I'm just waiting for it to get dark so I can adjust the cut off and take pics

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
FINISHED!!!! :spin:

The retro is complete and I am VERY happy with it.

Here are some pics of the cut off:

Some shots of the flicker from the right preojector:

An here is the HID output from the drivers point of view:

As you can see the retro outdoes any HID "kit" with a rabased bulb. The output from any OEM hid surpasses and kit with the great visibilty. It's a pure bright white light. It illuinates the road 100x better than any 6000k+ kit. The blueish purple cut iff gives it that visually pleasing flicker. The color of the flicker is what most people look for and thats why they get a 6000k kit. But the problem with the 6000k kit is it illuminates the road with a blue light and that actually makes it harder to see the road and surrounding objects.

I used the kit from HID planet. This is hard proof their kit works even though they can only supply 2 rights side projectors. The unit is still pug and play.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Wow. Those ECE projectors absolutely kick ass. Dammit, more money I need to spend! Looks absolutely excellent. And yeah, that's an understatement about how much better this is than a rebased kit. Holy shit, that pic of the output from inside the car is freakin' amazing. Destroys the kits.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks HedsIc! I couldnt do this retro without your headlights.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks great man. I'm impressed. And no problem. Glad to see they came in handy for someone.
[/b]

Thanks man and thanks too MZBuckeye.

This has got to be the best mods I've done to any care I own.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Well, I know where I'll be buying my HID retro kit from. Luckily for my credit card, the ballasts are currently out of stock. Definitely worth making the two right hand projectors work to get the ECE color and cutoff.

1 - 20 of 191 Posts
About this Discussion
190 Replies
21 Participants
Daner919
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing