Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my Mazda for the P2112 CEL a few weeks ago and they re-programmed the computer. I got a P2135 CEL code yesterday and are going to bring my car in for service next Wednesday. Now I found a bulletin that I can show them I need a new throttle body and not just any version but the "BB" version. Finally, Mazda is admitting they have faulty throttle bodies installed on Mazda 6's. There should be a recall for this part.

Here is the link:

http://www.finishlineperformance.com/mazda6/docs/0043.pdf

·
Registered
276 Posts
I just had mine replaced this week.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
um, stupid question but how did you know which CEL showed up in your car? Do you have a diagnostic tool?
If you get a CEL, and aren't able to get it to a dealer right away and it disappears the next time you turn on your car, does it still record somewhere that it got a CEL? Does the dealer need to see the CEL on before they inspect it? I'm wondering because the bulletin says this near the bottom:

This warranty information applies only to verified customer complaints on vehicles eligible for warranty repair. Refer to the Warranty Wizard for warranty term information. [/b]
So for this issue, I have an AA so can I tell them to replace it without a CEL light ever coming on?

p.s., thanks for the find!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
um, stupid question but how did you know which CEL showed up in your car? Do you have a diagnostic tool?
If you get a CEL, and aren't able to get it to a dealer right away and it disappears the next time you turn on your car, does it still record somewhere that it got a CEL? Does the dealer need to see the CEL on before they inspect it? I'm wondering because the bulletin says this near the bottom:
So for this issue, I have an AA so can I tell them to replace it without a CEL light ever coming on?

p.s., thanks for the find!
[/b]

You will know because the car will shake and shutter like if the engine isn't getting enough oxygen. The engine light will light up and the car would not go above 30 mph. Once you pulled over or stop, turn off the ignition and on again, the vehicle will drive like the problem never happened except you will get a CEL. The CEL will disappeared after 4-5 starts but the code will be retained in the computer. So if you use a scan tool, you will access the code until it get erased. It happens to some vehicles but not others. This is a "gremlin" problem that is happening to way too many Mazda 6s(V6). I personally believe the problem is caused by the gear material being used on the throttle body. The problem only occurs, if ever, after 7000 miles or less. The gears either gets stripped by that point or it won't. Mazda dealers have been replacing the throttle body with a new one once this problem occurs but has never admitted to a faulty part. This bulletin is the 1st time they admitted to a faulty part on pages 2 and 3. Notice the quotes on page 3 where it says "BB" marking = Good part.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i see. that already did happen to me. they told me they replaced the CPU. any way, my throttle body still says AA on it. am i allowed to demand that they change it to the new part? i'll probably call mazda customer service about it anyway.

i was asking about noticing a difference in performance because it seems like i can't start out in 1st gear without either chirping a little tire or revving it up to 3000 rpms before releasing the clutch. it's either to much or too little. there's no in between.

it wasn't like this when i first purchased my 6 and i refuse to believe that i'm burning out my clutch because i don't drive it like that.

i've owned sticks since i've been driving and have never had this problem, not even with my '85 dodge omni!

any suggestions?

·
Registered
792 Posts
I will be checking my TB this weekend as well. Just yesterday it felt like I was frying my clutch at it's normal release point.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I took my Mazda for the P2112 CEL a few weeks ago and they re-programmed the computer. I got a P2135 CEL code yesterday and are going to bring my car in for service next Wednesday. Now I found a bulletin that I can show them I need a new throttle body and not just any version but the "BB" version. Finally, Mazda is admitting they have faulty throttle bodies installed on Mazda 6's. There should be a recall for this part.

Here is the link:

http://www.finishlineperformance.com/mazda6/docs/0043.pdf
[/b]
Not to long ago I got my TB replaced with the "BB" version... At the time neither the dealership nor Mazda had any strong idea what was the cause of my issue but the svc mgr wanted to get me the newest TB available just in case.

FYI, for some reason, that neither the svc mgr or Mazda could figure out, some cars (including mine) have this issue but do not throw a CEL. If your car tries to stall over and over when you're stopped at a light it could be the same issue even if you dont have a CEL.

·
Registered
823 Posts
[/b]

i see. that already did happen to me. they told me they replaced the CPU. any way, my throttle body still says AA on it. am i allowed to demand that they change it to the new part? i'll probably call mazda customer service about it anyway.
[/b]
Any answers to whether they will re-place it without having the CEL?

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Any answers to whether they will re-place it without having the CEL?
[/b]
An official Recall from a manufacturer implies a defective part will be replaced regardless if it has failed or not.

A TSB (technical service bulletin) is a bulletin on a common complaint - diagnostics & repair.

Since this is just a TSB, they will only replace it if it exhibits the behavior as described in the TSB. That being said, all dealerships will be different so it depends on how nice your dealership is. Technically, they don't have to replace it because most likely only a certain % of throttle bodies will fail -- and yours might be just fine.

·
Registered
431 Posts
They replaced mine without a CEL and before there was a TSB... but I did have the symptoms of the problem... if you dont have the symptoms or the CEL I doubt they would replace it.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
is the initial throttle lag still there with the new throttle body?
u know the lag that is there when u start from a dead stop?
[/b]
hey guys....can you confirm the changes you observed with the new TB?

·
Registered
405 Posts
should the 2006 models have the BB TB? Can i check and see for the BB stamp without taking anything apart under the hoood? In the PDF it appears the stamp is underneath, and I cant imagine seeing that without taking things out.

i just had my TB actuator replaced... but the problems explained in this thread is exactly what i was experiencing

edit= ok, i can see it without moving anything, i have a BB. It was facing towards the windshield.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts
About this Discussion
157 Replies
87 Participants
t.mcginley.jr
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing