Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
the on/off clutch gets mentioned yet again.
[/b]

I have ZERO problems driving it. :nana:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Will people quit whining about the damn clutch. Get used to it and be done with it. There is nothing wrong with it. I was used to it after driving the car for a day, just like any other clutch in any other car. Its not a problem for first time drivers. I taught my girlfriend how to drive a stick on the mazda and she didnt have any other problems than anyone would learning on any other car.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Will people quit whining about the damn clutch. Get used to it and be done with it. There is nothing wrong with it. I was used to it after driving the car for a day, just like any other clutch in any other car. Its not a problem for first time drivers. I taught my girlfriend how to drive a stick on the mazda and she didnt have any other problems than anyone would learning on any other car.
[/b]
Young man you must be a wonderful teacher/instructor....you'll have to tell the rest of the planet how to drive......,however, even a god like you has to say "...I was used to to it after driving it for a day..." so the girlfriend is more sympatico than you...surely not..?

Most people are used to it after a drive around the block, but the point, surely, is that it is different! A road tester would be not doing his/her job if the clutch was not highlighted in a road test.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I love this car, but I'll admit, the first Speed6 I test-drove (a GT) felt all goofy in the clutch (weird soft-strong-soft grabby engagement). It had more mileage and it was more of a tester car.

The Speed6 I bought was a Sport off the riser with only 30-40 miles. The clutch on the Sport felt a bit better than the other I drove (I wanted the Sport anyways), but after a couple hundred miles it felt the same as the one I tested. I admit I don't love the clutch for feel, but I love the car anyways. You get used to it, but it's still a bitch to launch right.

The rest of the article is spot-on (except calling the dash materials cheap, I think they're just fine myself, I don't drive very many fancy cars though). I agree that besides being a capable canyon carver, this car is a dream on a long road trip (even with 4-5 adults). Also, with the AWD and DSC (which I always turn off here in Vegas), you know that it's going to chug along just fine if the rain or snow flies also.

·
Registered
440 Posts
[/b]
The clutch is a POS...get honest dude.

·
Registered
721 Posts
meh, do the clutch adjustment mod and be done with it. i minor oversight from the factory but nothing you or your dealership can't cure with 5 mins and a wrench. all 1st year cars have their glitches but this one doesn't cost a single penny to fix. if you haven't don't the adjustment yet, you don't know what you're missing.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Clutch in the Speed6 feels most like an aftermarket Stage 2/3 clutch... I had a Stage 3 clutch in my Civic swap (I think.. its been a while since we did that)... and it was EXACTLY the same feel as this...

My GF has NO clue how to drive a stick.. had to tell her which foot where... how .. when.. why.. with everything.. she managed to cherp the tires a few times... but still drove around town ... basically being her first time in a stick....

If SHE can manage in a speed6... then someone who knows how to drive a clutch.. should have no trouble at all... a few miles of getting used to it... and you should be good to go....

I for one... have more trouble driving vehicles with a clutch you have to depress completely to the floor.. and then slip it completely back out in order to enguage / disenguage it....

Why the hell would anyone want so much movement on their clutch pedal? Short and sweet is the way to go!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Clutch in the Speed6 feels most like an aftermarket Stage 2/3 clutch... I had a Stage 3 clutch in my Civic swap (I think.. its been a while since we did that)... and it was EXACTLY the same feel as this...
[/b]
This is what a friend of mine said after I made him drive the car, he has been racing cars for a good 10 years now. I told him a bunch of peeps didnt like the clutch and I wanted his opinion on it. He asked what do people want when the buy a high-performance car. This is what I think as well( if its not what everyone is used to it must be wrong).

·
Registered
305 Posts
For those still bitching about the clutch (much like I USED to), adjust it. There is an excellent "how to" for all you winers (like I used to be) on this forum. Why, for the love of God, are you people still fumbling with the clutch in stock form when it can be adjusted in 10 fu#king minutes.
Please don't turn this fine review thread into another "the clutch sucks" rant .

·
Registered
967 Posts
For those still bitching about the clutch (much like I USED to), adjust it. There is an excellent "how to" for all you winers (like I used to be) on this forum. Why, for the love of God, are you people still fumbling with the clutch in stock form when it can be adjusted in 10 fu#king minutes.
Please don't turn this fine review thread into another "the clutch sucks" rant .
[/b]
Well stated.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Ill agree, but I will apologize for how I stated the whining about the clutch. It is completely different than the clutch in my talon is, even with the act 2600. My friends Evo has a clutch more like my talon. Starts to engage somewhat close to the floor but has a long engagement period. Makes slipping the clutch easier. Everyone else who has driven my car has not said anything about the clutch. My friend did complain about the Evo clutch but, all he needs to do is remove the restrictor in it so the clutch will actually come up with his foot.

I dont know, I say just drive the car and get used to it and be done with it. Actually, the clutch in the MS6 is not much different than the clutch in the Mazdaspeed Protege. I think they are quite close to each other and how they work. I had my friends for 6 months while he was in Germany so maybe I was already somewhat used to that kind of clutch then.

AS far I know, theres 3 kinds of clutches I have driven. My two talons which were similar even though one had a performance clutch in it, just requires more pedal effort to push in. The Mazdaspeed clutches (protege and 6) had almost the same kind of clutch. And I have driven a 2nd gen DSM with a performance clutch and it required almost no effort to push in (compared to my 1g with the same clutch) but was closer to the clutch in the MSP and MS6.

Anyway, sorry for the response I had earlier, but I still think the clutch is the speed 6 is fine and normal, just different than soem other cars, but sitll also similar to other cars. Just my opinion though.

On another note, I did finally see my firts MS6 on the road driving besides mine. Only took 2 months.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Anyway, back on track. That's a great article. Thanks for sharing man. :)

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
As ManyMazdas suggests, enlighten yourselves and take 10 minutes to try the clutch adjustment here:
http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?show...59565&st=15
I did a detailed How-To in post #17. It actually takes longer to read through the steps than to do the adjustment (but that's why it's there, study it first to save you time and mistakes). MS686 graciously made it into a PDF for ease of printing in post #36.

Try it and see what you think. What do you have to lose? You can always return it back to the way it came if you have concerns, or you don't like it (just be sure to follow the points and mark the bolt heads). At the very least you'll have learned something new, which is always a good thing.

·
Registered
176 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts