Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some links may no longer be valid, but check em anyways. page 2 has June 4th autocross and now July 8th autocross.

All of my runs today. watch them progressively and you'll see little areas of improvement. the first two cones off of the wagon wheel were an issue, i never managed to line them up the way i wanted. the chicago box was a bitch, but im just happy i didn't hit any cones.

we had 3 6es out there today. mine, wiggum's, and this chick with her 6s.

she was consistent with the majority of her runs being the same time, but she never gunned it. wiggum kept mentioning how smooth she was. reference to her driving or something else, i've no idea. my roommate would've come with his 6s but he had a meeting to go to.

this driver with an RX7

nearly took FTD. he was absolutely incredible through the wagon wheel. i have a video of one of his better runs in case if someone wants, i'll email it since im out of space on putfile.

and of course

the obligatory NSX. definitely not suited for this sort of course. neither, apparently, is the speed6 :(

so as far as im concerned, i felt like i actually competed today. a lot better than what i thought with nothing but potential improvement for the road ahead. i can only imagine the difference in time that i would've had with suspension upgrades, but i have my own personal proof that this is a bit more than a family sedan.

oh, and BFGoodrich G-Force Sports kick serious ass. i love this tire

edit: oh, and i had 47 psi on both front tires, 32psi on the rear. it made a big difference, and you can actually see on the back 3 cones, before the left towards the chicago box, my rear swings out in most of the videos. that was the first time i've experienced that

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Terrible outing today....

The Speed6 did GREAT... car was very quick, responsive, and the AWD system was very impressive...

Just couldn't get into any kind of a rythym, the car was so fast going in and out of the corners I was braking too late and shooting far too wide...

As with all AutoX events, its 80% driver and I just couldn't cut it today :(...

Oh, and for those of you whom say "10% of the power goes to the rear".... dear lord are you off...

Even the announcer was commenting on the MASSIVE POWER oversteer I was getting.....

Bus great drivin today... how were your last runs?

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
That was the weirdest course setup I've ever seen. How did you even know where to go? Also very short, but hey still looks fun :D The "wagon wheel" was a confusing element to me, ho are you supposed to know where to enter the turn around it and where to exit it? It seems very subjective to me. Glad you had three 6's out there though! And you're definitley right about seeing where the improvements were made, nice runs.

Here, compare your autox to how ours are setup (much longer, and tons mroe cones). They say ours are setup more along the nationals style courses, but it also looks like we have a lot more room to work with than you do. (Watch the end of the long slalom, you'll see me screw up)
http://www.keenanbrothers.com/tim/videos/a.../Colin_Run2.AVI

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my runs were 35.81, 34.151, 34.200, 33.487, 33.467, 32.85, respectively.

the course was easy compared to others they've had this year. im sure this will answer a lot of your questions, so heres the overview:

i cant watch AVI files at the moment which is unforunate because thats the only thing people seem to be able to get movies compressed into :(

·
Registered
318 Posts
Nice work Biz! Definitely smooth.

That did look like a short, slow course compared to what I'm used to. First gear the whole time?

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts

the course was easy compared to others they've had this year. im sure this will answer a lot of your questions, so heres the overview:

i cant watch AVI files at the moment which is unforunate because thats the only thing people seem to be able to get movies compressed into :(
[/b]
Makes it much clearer. :)

·
Registered
4,138 Posts

[/b]
Great times Matt.... course really favored lightweight cars.... your getting very good with your car....

I had a little talking with my car on the way home.... we are going to connect next month :).... we just have to build a better relationship...

And I looked at my car when i got home... even on 3 hard runs and one soft one at the end my tires took a thrashing...

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Haha..here's an excerpt from run 5:

*tire scretching* *clutch shift*....*tire scretching*...

..."...time of 33.467."

You: "fuck yeah!"

haha... good vids though. :)

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice work Biz! Definitely smooth.
That did look like a short, slow course compared to what I'm used to. First gear the whole time?
[/b]
thanks! the first run i went to 2nd gear halfway from the first turn to the wagon wheel. second run i was way up in the RPM range and had to go to 2nd gear to help slow it down and manage the car through the wheel. my next 4 runs i stayed in first, because i learned.

Great times Matt.... course really favored lightweight cars.... your getting very good with your car....
I had a little talking with my car on the way home.... we are going to connect next month :).... we just have to build a better relationship...
And I looked at my car when i got home... even on 3 hard runs and one soft one at the end my tires took a thrashing...
[/b]
thanks man! i really would love to see what the speed is capable of, but im thinking its overly course-dependent. next time we need to make sure we're running at different times, because i really want to feel the speed on a course. until then i'll reserve my judgment. i do think it has excellent potential, but its obvious that the chassis needs to be stiffened and the ride height lowered. you said yourself the turn-in was atrocious. i think this is gonna be a fun project ;)

Haha..here's an excerpt from run 5:
*tire scretching* *clutch shift*....*tire scretching*...
..."...time of 33.467."
You: "fuck yeah!"
haha... good vids though. :)
[/b]
lmao, i have an automatic. 4 very tall gears of boredom. thanks! :D

btw, i do want to say that this was the shortest course i've seen MSCC do so far. i went to the first event of the year in january but didn't compete. i've done the 4 since then and the other courses were about 45-50 seconds long for the fastest drivers (so...60+ for me.) just an fyi.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Turn in was atrocious :)... I was coming into a wagon wheel at 50MPH... Gotta control the car better.... im so used to driving with a heavy right foot...

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
How is he not wearin a helmet? Don't let the SCCA see that!!!
[/b]
I got onto the course and didn't think anything of it... i was sooo hot...

When my run ended I had about 4 people jump on me.... after a brief apology and a helmet on my head all was well...

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
next autocross is june 4th. i figure i give myself a $250 budget for the next race, since i think its time to do some changes. so here are my ideas, weigh in:

1 - Hatch Springs: finally, the grace of being lowered. but i dont want to roll my fenders (and i will have to roll the rear) unless i have a good reason, like 245/45 tires. plus, with 43k miles, i'd only be comfortable with purchasing new shocks to go with em
2 - GT Spec Front Brace + Tranny Cooler: tighten the front and ease the strain on the tranny for peace of mind
3 - Progress Rear Sway + RB Front Sway: if i can find the balls or the know-how to do a front sway, maybe
4 - OEM Rotors + Hawk HPS pads/SS Brake Lines + Hawk HPS: or just save for EBC rotors? i dunno...
5 - 2 tires + Tranny Cooler: needs a bit of an explanation

i have 4 rx7 wheels with 225/50 tires on them. the two yokohama AV DB2 tires are, just by visual inspection, a bit more than half worn. the other two wheels have dunlop sp 8xxx whatever tires on there, worn to hell, and one has a nail in it. so im thinking...hankook z212's or g-force sports in 245/45 or 225/50 on the front (though the sports dont come in 245/45 :(, with the yokos on the back. hopefully, with the low tread and a 15 psi difference between front/rear tires, the rear will help create a more neutral steering bias. once the yokos are done for, get another set of tires for them and move the formerly fresh set of tires to the rear. flawed theory? i dunno, i would definitely need feedback for that.

a guy at work is partnered with a friend of his in a tire shop. i asked for a quote on some tires but he hasn't hit me back yet with any prices. gonna press him a bit more for it and see what he says. there's a bunch of little under the hood mods that i'd like to do as well (cooling, battery.) lots of work this summer, lets just hope the money keeps a steady flow.

sorry i've rambled on. been talking to a friend for the past hour and a half and im tires as balls. 3:20am. rock.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
goddamn im tired. fell asleep for an hour and a half when i came back. it started to sprinkle and almost went into a full shower before our first set of runs, but the rain went by rather quietly. despite this course being the most simple i've encountered, it was by far the most difficult in terms of improving. im 100% sure any and all time lost was in the first part of the course, a 5 cone slalom.

i really dont feel that i improved upon my slalom abilities at all, which really sucks because i know thats a big area that i need to work on. additionally, i was never looking ahead to the next turn. even in my very first autocross i didn't have that issue. my lack of a conscious effort for looking ahead was alarming to me.

my times were very consistent...all within 4 tenths of a second of each other (the off course was 29.351.) the first two runs i went into 2nd gear before the chicago box, the last 4 i stayed in first the entire course. that should've helped right? negative. i didn't get on the gas early enough in the chicago box during the exit, so i lost a little bit of time there. i was rather worried about my slip angle, because my tires were fucking screeching a lot more than ever before (45 psi front, 31psi rear.)

the audis in my class wooped ass. apparently one of them has this awesome ECU upgrade which significantly increases the torque. if the guy with the mini didn't get a clean run on his final pass, the audi would've taken 1st place for GP.

anyways...the turnout yielded a bit less variety than last month (no volvo, no cts) and while we sometimes have a guy bring out his 88 Toyota pickup, that simply doesn't compare to this:

:laugh: he actually did rather well...here are some other pics, none of which i took:

350mm wide hoosiers!

almost broke into the 24.xxx range

this son of a bitch Eclipse took my goddamn number. i realized that the extra tape i had to put on the car to make 90GP instead of 91GP slowed me down. :p car sounded like complete crap when he was out there too. bastard. in case you're wondering, the red TSX behind the eclipse with Azenis RT-215/615 (whichever) did rather comparable to me and my roommate but just a little slower. although they have him in a H-stock with both mazda 6 engines in G-stock if we didn't have our intakes. rather odd.

i'll post more pictures once other people put theirs up. heres my last last run, for shits and giggles:
Run 6

final results:
Mazda 6i ATX
29.571 (+1) - 29.345 (+1) - 29.713 - 29.711 - 29.351 (OFF) - 29.300
Mazda 6s ATX
31.603 (+1) - 30.923 (+1) - 30.621 (+1) - 31.629 (+1) 30.316 - 30.391

edit: also, i was running 93 octane, which i typically do for autocrossing days to be safe® from pinging

1 - 20 of 66 Posts