Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nearing that big 3-0-0-0 and I was wondering what the oil filter numbers are for the 6? At work (Pep Boys) our systems, despite being up to date, still have not a single part or part number for the 6. Most every place in town I call has nothing and I don't want to go to the dealer.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Filter #'s?'

I am pretty sure it is the same filter as the 3.0L duratech on the Taurus. Which in Fram it is the PH2, DG2 or TG2 I believe.
I wish I could tell you for sure, I was going to change my oil yesterday, but I can not get the old filter off, even with filter socket that connects to my ratchet. Anybody have any ideas:?

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reading Topic: Filter #'s?

Back when I used to bust tires and change oil, I found it easier to get filters off when they were still hot, rather than cold. Just like when you can't get a jar lid off, you run it under some hot water to expand the lid enough to make it easy to remove.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Filter #'s?'

And if that doesn't work there's always the trusty screwdriver technique.

Hammer + screwdriver = pierced oil filter = homemade wrench.

Sucks, but sometimes it's just about the only alternative.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Never done the screwdriver technique, but the wrenches we used to use for the filter had little teeth that were supposed to grab at the grooved bottom of the filter, but if you push it up a little higher and squeeze done, same thing as the screwdriver.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts

Have you looked at www.mazdaformance.com yet? They list the Mazda part #s for both the 4 and 6 cyl. It looks like the oil filter for the 4 is the only part exchanged and the housing is not replaced. That may make a difference for you, depending on whether you have a 4cyl or 6cyl.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

For the 6s the OEM filter is a Motorcraft FL-820S. If you want to use something else, the 6s uses the same filters as a Mazda MPV 3.0L. So you can use that as a reference if your parts place doesn't have a listing yet.

·
Registered
791 Posts

Does the 2.3l engine use the same filter as a Ford Ranger 2.3l?

I drove to my father's house (since I don't have a garage- he does) to change the oil this weekend, but couldn't find a filter anywhere. The only place I didn't try was the dealer... couldn't bring myself to go there. So, anyway, it's about 100 miles back home, so now I'm about 200 miles past 3000. I feel like I'm destroying my vehicle, even though Mazda recommends 5k intervals.

·
Registered
117 Posts

2.3l uses a cartridge type oil filter. I'll try to find the number for you.

·
Registered
117 Posts

Here is the filter # for I4:
Part number: L321 14 302
Part name: OIL FILTER CARTRIDGE

1 - 10 of 10 Posts