Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I started to build a fiberglass speaker box for my 12's. Here is what I've done so far but it is only 1:45 so I'll probably have time to put the fabric over it still. I'll keep you guys updated with pics and give a how to later. Click to enlarge!

From that to this!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What do you think? Comments?Heckles?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats gonna look great...wanna make one for my speed6
[/b]
Lets see how the finish product comes out and we'll see.

·
Registered
381 Posts
wow that looks like it'll be a good setup!
Could you post more pics as it goes along?

I'll be getting my equipment pretty soon (single 10) and plan for more of space savings.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No problem! I just got back from getting fabric and compressor so I'll post another in like an hour or two.Thx for the positive feedback.

·
Registered
381 Posts
have you done FG before?
Wanna help me with mine?
I'm in SJ

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Havn't done it before but I got the low down from the shop and I got surfer buddies if i need. Seems pretty simple from all I heard though I would proly be willing to help out a fellow 6er.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
More pics!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bump! Also I set this amp mount up for a new amp. I'll be picking up the new XX Zeus or XX Colossus by Hifonics! Can't decide on the wattage yet! Any thoughts for 2 JL 12" W3s?

·
Registered
705 Posts
They are pretty good subs. Definite improvement over the W2's. Share some of the same design aspects of the W6V2's. And since these are SVC. You can wire two of them and push out 2 ohm total.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah,I'm running them with 2-500 watt sony amps in a bandpass box right now I think the Hifonics amp and new enclosure will give it a definate improvement! Since I can't afford W7s yet.

·
Registered
705 Posts
But the only way you could run W3V3's off an XX Zeus, would be if you got 8ohm subs. Then your final ohm would be 4. Which would put you right at the 300W RMS a piece. Cause if you run it down to 2 ohm, you'd be pushing 550W RMS to each, thats almost double the recommended, and you'd probably destory those subs pretty quick. And that XX Colossus is WAY too much power for 2 JL 12W3V3, regardless of which model.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rad! LOL, JK. Thanks for the input maybe I should just get the 1000 watt Zeus. Worst case I have to buy more subs, these r 2nd gen hand me downs anyway. Would that work?

·
Registered
705 Posts
What model sub is your future upgrade?

Cause if you are hell bent on getting a Hifonics amp for your JL subs. I would probably go with a Brutus 1206D and just be very careful with your gain settings and the volume knob...lol...Cause then you'd only be putting 450W RMS each to them, which is only 150W over the recommended, instead of double.

P.S. Custom FG Box looks like it's started on a good path. Keep up the good work and keep the pics coming too.

·
Registered
978 Posts
that's great that you're giving this a try...good luck and thanks for letting us watch!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So you say that thier RMS rating is true? If so, thats what I'll do. I know thier a reliable company.

that's great that you're giving this a try...good luck and thanks for letting us watch!
[/b]
Thanks!

·
Registered
246 Posts
A JBL 600.1 would work better for you than the hifonics amps.

The only amps from Hifonics that do their rated power is the XX series...others dont quite do rated power.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A JBL 600.1 would work better for you than the hifonics amps.
[/b]
What do you think Van? True?

·
Registered
705 Posts
Ya Hifonics is pretty accurate with their numbers. And JL can usually handle beyond their recommended RMS if you do it wisely and aren't trying to blast the system 24/7.

I only have 2 - 12W1V2's in my 6 right now. And they are recommended only 125W, but I've been pushing 250W to each with no problems or signs of wear, and I have the occasional time when I like to show off ;)

1 - 20 of 70 Posts