Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received fgraziano's crushed mitsubishi BOV today and installed it in under 15 min. The package contained: BOV (cleaned for the most part and painted), Gasket, Plug to run VTA, and about 1' of silicon hose all wrapped in bubble in an oversized box with packing paper. It looked like someone had stepped on the box but the packaging job saved the contents from damage.

Install was a snap and took no time at all. The new valve bolted right up to the stock mount without any further modifications. Just unbolt the stock valve and bolt on the new one. It's that easy! 15 mins tops.

After the install I started the car and checked for any obvious leaks or abnormalities. After finding nothing unusual I took her out for a spin. The first thing I noticed is that boost comes on noticeably faster. This tells me that the stock valve was leaking pressure ever so slightly on it's way up to 16 psi. NOTE: The stock valve is A. Made entirely out of plastic and B. could be opened with one (1) finger! Not to mention you could get the stocker to leak with nothing put the power of your lungs. No matter how hard I tried to open the crushed valve I couldn't do it with my hands or the lungs. The second thing is the sound :drool: It's not too much louder than the stock valve, but it's a completely different sound all together! With the stocker you get a Pssshhhh and nothing else. With fgraziano's all metal crushed DSM valve you get the a sound that's similar to the BOV from the 1st fast and furious parking lot scene with the eclipse spinning out of control. (Yes I know it was an RS with a body kit and had no turbo). It's that Psshhh followed by a high pitch whistle almost. I think it's approaching ricey but acceptable.

Overall I'd say that for $65 you won't find a better BOV. It get's the job done and has the appearance of stock. If you're just looking to avoid blowing up the stocker and hold that extra couple of PSI this is perfect with a budget.

I'll try to get videos put up later but for now my camcorder is a little fukered. For now here are the pics. Do you like my poster in the garage?

Stock

Crushed DSM

·
Registered
262 Posts
Tried googling it, no dice... any more info on it?

I want a decent replacement thats not over 200$ for the adapter etc..

·
Registered
76 Posts
Edited for stupidity, thanks

·
Registered
262 Posts
What are you trying to find out? It's a crushed 1G(1st Gen) DSM BOV made by Mitsubishi. All metal construction and good for around 22 psi.
[/b]
wWhere one can be purchased, I already know of them. I'm asuming there's a remanufacturer or someone that's known for upgrading them, as it seems from the thread.

65$ is a great price for an upgrade, where can I source one as well... thanks

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
DAMN YOU! Well not really, but I am jealous because I did a buy-it-now on a valve on the 28th, and the guy still hasn't gotten it to jshelms (he is doing the cleaning and packaging like fgraziano does). Hopefully it gets here soon.

I love love love that it looks stock. Won't have to bother taking it out for warranty work etc.

·
Registered
829 Posts
wWhere one can be purchased, I already know of them. I'm asuming there's a remanufacturer or someone that's known for upgrading them, as it seems from the thread.

65$ is a great price for an upgrade, where can I source one as well... thanks
[/b]
he's a user on the forums. I bought one from him as well, but didn't notice all these differences he did. <shrug>

but then again, I don't have an intake, so I can't hear the BOV anyway. =)

·
Registered
364 Posts
Yes, fair price, no need for $300 units...unless you boost +20 lbs all day as I'm not sure this can hang....the fragazano can answer that.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I want to buy one. Does anyone know him? Also...so no flange? Hmmm. did he modify it? Why is it called "crushed?" Because it is smaller?

·
Registered
353 Posts
send fgraziano a PM. Or I'm sure he'll eventually post in this thread.
[/b]
Not bad. I got mien for $30 and modded it myself. Polished it though instead but will take it off later to paint the ugly green top on it and do a better polishing job once I get some better stuff to use with my dremel.

Though, I beleive one of my holes on the intake pipe is now cross threaded as no matter what, I could not get the bolt to go back in straight.... with nothing on it just trying to thread it back on normally it would not go. Oh well. Holds fine and doesnt leak is all that matters to me.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Stupid ?!!!!

What is a crushed BOV?

Owners of highly boosted cars have discovered that the stock 1G BOV tends to begin to open too early. This causes a pressure leak in the intake system that limits boost. The valve tends to leak somewhat at lower boost levels, then opens fully when it's supposed to. This low-level leakage is the problem. The 1G BOV will usually hold pressures to about 22 psi, so this problem usually only appears on cars with upgraded turbochargers.

[2G owners have this problem, times two - the stock 2G BOV can just hold stock boost levels, and tends to start leaking at around 15 psi. 2Gers don't crush their BOV because it's plastic and won't crush. Instead, 2Gers often replace their unit with a stock 1G BOV to eliminate the leakage problem. This works until they too reach the limits of the 1G BOV.]

One DIY solution proposed to fix this problem is to crush the BOV. This means exactly what it says - stick the valve into a vise or clamp and squish it so it doesn't open as early. This is really a cheap & dirty method of increasing the spring force holding the BOV shut, and saves the operator from having to install an expensive aftermarket BOV. This techique can, however, restrict the amount of air that can pass through the BOV when it is wide open, making it a less efficient BOV, and therefore not as good as an aftermarket unit. All of this theory was explained by Todd Hayashi in his August 31/99 post on the subject. A follow-up summary post by Robert Mangus can be found here.
Although the technique is simple, individuals should use caution in applying it since various BOVs and crushing techniques are different. The essential technique is to crush the BOV so that it begins to open when 18-20 inHg of vacuum is applied to the reference port. Pristine BOVs will begin to open much earlier than this. Crushing should be done a little at a time until the BOV responds properly. Over-crushing a BOV may result in poor performance.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
NOTE: The stock valve is A. Made entirely out of plastic and B. could be opened with one (1) finger! Not to mention you could get the stocker to leak with nothing put the power of your lungs. No matter how hard I tried to open the crushed valve I couldn't do it with my hands or the lungs. [/b]
Interesting, I've taken off the stock BOV and compared it to the stock 2g DSM BOV I got off eBay. On mine the stock plastic BOV was quite stiff, and required two fingers and a lot of pressure to get it opening (couldn't generate enough pressure with one finger). It was very similar to the un-crushed 2g DSM BOV. This was with approx 1000miles on the car. What's the mileage on yours when you did this? It would be interesting to find out the mileage if your stock BOV was starting to fail, resulting in this ease of opening.

Because of the similarity in pressure required I haven't crushed and installed the 2g BOV. I'll check the stock one again in a week or two and see if it's weakened any. If so, I'll proceed with replacing mine too.

·
Registered
820 Posts
you absolutely DO NOT want a 2G DSM BOV. I'm not doing any rocket science here guys, just offering a convenience to the members that don't like to get their hands dirty. The ebay market for valves is a crap shoot, sometimes you get them for 30 shipped other times its 55. I'm not looking to retire by selling these things believe me. I'm glad you like the valve so far. i've been running mine for about 4000 miles with and MBC and a Fujita intake. No issues and I assure you, it's very loud.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ordered mine from fgraziano last week. Looking forward to getting it more now.

How is the sound difference with a gutted stock air box?

·
Registered
820 Posts
You can still hear it with just the gutted airbox, but once you get the CAI it amplifies the sound quite a bit. Chowhound, I have a Fujita intake available, shoot me a PM if you want to work something out.

·
Registered
102 Posts
You can still hear it with just the gutted airbox, but once you get the CAI it amplifies the sound quite a bit. Chowhound, I have a Fujita intake available, shoot me a PM if you want to work something out.
[/b]
Interested, PM sent.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Interesting, I've taken off the stock BOV and compared it to the stock 2g DSM BOV I got off eBay. On mine the stock plastic BOV was quite stiff, and required two fingers and a lot of pressure to get it opening (couldn't generate enough pressure with one finger). It was very similar to the un-crushed 2g DSM BOV. This was with approx 1000miles on the car. What's the mileage on yours when you did this? It would be interesting to find out the mileage if your stock BOV was starting to fail, resulting in this ease of opening.

Because of the similarity in pressure required I haven't crushed and installed the 2g BOV. I'll check the stock one again in a week or two and see if it's weakened any. If so, I'll proceed with replacing mine too.
[/b]

I did this with abou 3100 miles on the car. I've been running 16-16.5 psi with the MBC on the stocker for the past 500 miles. I shit you not I could get the valve to open using my lungs! It was very weak.

·
Registered
795 Posts
you absolutely DO NOT want a 2G DSM BOV. I'm not doing any rocket science here guys, just offering a convenience to the members that don't like to get their hands dirty. The ebay market for valves is a crap shoot, sometimes you get them for 30 shipped other times its 55. I'm not looking to retire by selling these things believe me. I'm glad you like the valve so far. i've been running mine for about 4000 miles with and MBC and a Fujita intake. No issues and I assure you, it's very loud.
[/b]
i have a 93 talon tsi with the stock1g BOV and yes it is very loud with a intake @ 17psi. now i haven't heard it on a MS6 yet but i'm pretty sure it'll sound the same. any of you guys wanna post a sound clip or even better a vid of it on a ms6?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts