Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there. I recently went to my local Mazda dealership to purchase a Mazda 6s. I got to the dealership and found a 6s that is pretty much everything I want. It's Lapis Blue Metallic (very sweet looking, although I have to say the Grey is nice too) and it has every single option possible (which is what I wanted) for $26,430. The one thing it has that I DON'T want is an automatic transmission. However, when I asked the dealer what the chance of finding the same exact car with a manual tranny, he said "very slim." He told me that if I wanted a manual version of the same exact car, he wouldn't be able to get me one for a few months, if that. He said I could find a 6i with the same options but not the 6s so I should just get this car while it's available. So my questions to all of you is this:

Is this true for any other prospective buyers out there? I mean, the salesman seems like a nice guy, but I don't know if he's just jerking me around thinking I'm just some 19 year old kid he can rip off.

Also, I know that the hatchback is supposed to come out later this year (summer 2003, at least from what I've read); and to be honest I actually want the hatchback MORE than I want the sedan. IF I DO actually have to wait a few months for a manual on the sedan, do you all think I should just wait for the hatchback version and get a manual with that? And does anyone know roughly when the hatchback is supposed to be released in the USA (NJ area)? They can only hold the car until Friday (January 10); so if someone could get back to me with some advice soon, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Few Questions about the 6 Hatchback'

Dude, go to another mazda dealership. He's messing with you. When I went to my mazda dealer, if you are willing to buy a car, they'll find one for you with all options you want and it wouldn't take more than a week. That's the good thing about it. My friend bought mazda 6 S auto and its very good car. Even though I do want to wait for hatchback since it may look better. I dunno though. All mazda's are now getting better and better.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Well, first of all, you have to understand the salesman's main objective, which is to sell you what he's got in inventory. Second, some dealers simply don't order cars with manual transmissions, unless it's a special order for a customer. You need to find a different dealer. I am hoping you live in a big metro area, so this won't be a problem.

I have had good luck using Cars.com and letting the dealer come to me!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Ok, so it seems to me that the salesman is trying to rip me off which I kind of suspected. And yes, I live in NJ so there are about 2 or 3 other dealerships that are within an acceptable driving distance of me. Now the real question is should I find a Mazda 6s sedan with a manual transmission and buy it now, or wait for who knows how long until the hatchback (which I think looks even better than the sedan) is released in the USA???

I know that the most obvious answer I'm going to get is that if I really want the hatchback more, then I should wait for it. But the predicament I'm in is that the car I have now is not very reliable and I need a reliable one to commute to college and work. So that being said, I'm tempted to get the Sedan now just alleviate my problems. However, I don't know if I'm going to regret it when the hatchbacks are eventually released. What would you all suggest? Thanks again to anyone with some wise advice for me.

·
Registered
657 Posts

Bro, go to Anguili Mazda in Staten Island, ask for John, and tell him Jordan sent you. He was pressuring me to get the manual, I opted for the A/T. Anyways, they're REALLY nice guys there, and they made the whole process easy, it took me 3 days from test drive to delivery.

And if it isn't in stock, they can do a dealer search, find your exact car (in the tri-state area) and send someone over to get it for you. If nothing like that exists in the area yet, they can order it for you custom. Don't let that guy jerk you off like that.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Originally posted by iceman

Well, first of all, you have to understand the salesman's main objective, which is to sell you what he's got in inventory...[/b]
Iceman is exactly right. When you find a salesman that is different you stick with him.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

robgtaasc:
You were definitely BS'd. It is true that manual transmission vehicles are not being built in huge numbers at this point. This is due to expected initial demand. However you have a couple different options (assuming you find a reputable dealer):
1. Have them do a trade with someone that has a fully loaded lapis blue 6s manual in stock (it shouldn't be THAT hard for them to find one).
2. Have them do a factory order. Since the factory is in Michigan and not Japan, you should be able to get your car within a few weeks.

As for the sedan vs. hatchback issue, I feel your pain. The hatch and wagon are now expected to be released in December 2003. I feel the hatch offers both superior utility and superior looks. Personally my current car is reliable so I'm not worried about it. But for you I'd make a list of all the likely repairs you're going to need on the current car and weigh that against the potential money you could save by waiting for the hatch.

·
Registered
146 Posts

I special ordered my manual 6S on November 1 and it arrived late December. The factory is slammed, but more and more manuals are being built. Most dealers are NOT ordering the manuals for dealer stock; so be warned.

How do I know? My wife works at AAI. :D

·
Registered
231 Posts

I'll tell you what, it is very hard to tell the difference between the two cars, sedan and hatchback as far as looks go. I was all gung ho on a hatch but once I saw them side by side I couldn't justify theh $1000. You have to look twice to see the difference.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Reading Topic: Few Questions about the 6 Hatchback

IMHO the hatch is so much more functional then a trunk. Ever tried to put a large TV (or anything that may be higher then 23" in a trunk? Once you've own a hatch it is very difficult to give it up.

I currently drive a 99 Integra, the lease is up at the end of the month. I'm debating between the new Acura TSX, Passat V6 or the M6 GT/MT. The Passat has a very smooth ride and quality finish but I am not quite ready for a full size sedan. I still haven't test driven the M6 (Jan 20 here in Canada) and the TSX won't be until April and the styling is a little boring but better then the TL/CL (quality is tough to beat but they are getting over priced). If I go for the M6, I have to decide whether to get the sedan now or keep the Integra for another year and wait for the hatch. Also dealers are not very interested in cutting deals here in Ottawa they want full MSRP and a lease rate of 7.5% - what the f**K?. We'll see once the cars get on the lots. A year is a long time to wait and the Integra will loose more value (currently 77,000 km)

·
Registered
18 Posts

JUST WAIT FOR THE HATCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know it hurts, but thats what Im doing. Do what Im doing, just work and save up $$$ so that when the hatch comes, you can get it and hook it up with the cash youll have for it. Me, Im planning on putting a turbo-charger on the V6 as soon as I get it. ;-)

·
Registered
231 Posts

I've used the hatch featue on my 323 Astina heaps more than I would have though. Once I got a dog house (fully constructed) and a barbeque (still in the box) in there. Just fit. One day I will trade in the trusty Astina for a ute.

·
Registered
119 Posts

Originally posted by robgtaasc

wait for who knows how long until the hatchback (which I think looks even better than the sedan) is released in the USA???

I know that the most obvious answer I'm going to get is that if I really want the hatchback more, then I should wait for it.  But the predicament I'm in is that the car I have now is not very reliable and I need a reliable one to commute to college and work.  So that being said, I'm tempted to get the Sedan now just alleviate my problems. However, I don't know if I'm going to regret it when the hatchbacks are eventually released.  What would you all suggest?  Thanks again to anyone with some wise advice for me.[/b]
The hatchback looks absolutely trick. Very functional & will swallow huge or odd shaped loads, if you ever need that feature.

Heres a link showing my 2.3 Luxury Sports with hatch open, it is deceptively big & the fold flat floor feature is fantastic when needed (alliteration me thinks ?) http://community.webshots.com/album/60424394CgrJpc

WAIT for the hatch if you can, if not get the sedan, all 6's are good bits of gear & u won't regret the purchase.

:cheers

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

Originally posted by ozpearl6

The hatchback looks absolutely trick. Very functional & will swallow huge or odd shaped loads, if you ever need that feature.

Heres a link showing my 2.3 Luxury Sports with hatch open, it is deceptively big & the fold flat floor feature is fantastic when needed (alliteration me thinks ?) http://community.webshots.com/album/60424394CgrJpc

WAIT for the hatch if you can, if not get the sedan, all 6's are good bits of gear & u won't regret the purchase.

:cheers[/b]
That car is dope!!!!! I actually like the white, real smooooth. December of 2003 is way too late for me though. My POS car is falling apart. Going to the Mazda dealership next weekend!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts

Hey ozpearl6, those look like very small piston arms to lift such a large hatch. Does it require a lot of omph to lift it, is it something the little missus will complain about?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts