Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seached through tons of posts, but I can't seen to find definitive answers...

I know that this has been covered to death, but I just want to make sure that I don't screw anything up...

I am getting ready to have my oil changed in my '04 6i 2.3 and I want to make sure that I get good stuff. I don't race it, but I do want something that runs very clean so I am thinking about switching to synthetic oil (redline, royal purple, mobil-1, etc.) and I wanted to know which one is the best without spending $100 on an oil change. Also, I think that it takes 5 qts, but do you need an extra to flush it or something like that? (I just want to make sure that I have enough)

I also need to buy a filter online because my dealer is pretty far away... what is a good website and what would that part number be?

Last question, do all shops change the cartridge type filter?

I know that there are about 200 questions in there, but I just want to get it done right.

Thanks guys...
(be gentle with the noob thing--- I have searched and searched and .........)

·
Registered
510 Posts
Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 is as good as any of those oils you listed and you can get it anywhere from $3 to $4/qt. Dont pay more than $4, you can get it at walmart for $3.97 if you get desperate.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 is as good as any of those oils you listed and you can get it anywhere from $3 to $4/qt. Dont pay more than $4, you can get it at walmart for $3.97 if you get desperate.
[/b]

Thanks, I'll do that.... anyone else?

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
I can vouch for Pennzoil Platinum. People have been getting good Used Oil Analysis reports from it. It performs just like Mobil1 but at a fraction of the price. Some markets have it for buy one, get one. Search for the oil sale thread and read up on it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts