Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do you guys think its necessary to rent the fender rolling tool or could it be done just as effectively with another tool, read the archives looking for alternative method. please link if you can.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
any1

·
Registered
909 Posts
I took mine to a local body shop and I think they did both of my back fenders for about $80. They just bent them into submission with the tools they had. Its not 100% smooth, but the paint is still flawless and theres no cracks or anything. I've even heard of people doing it themselves with baseball bats lol, but I would not try it myself. Either save yourself the trouble and rent the roller or call bodyshops untill you find someone that can do it....

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats 1 of the posts i found i laughed but he said no damage though! thx for your input regulator

·
Registered
815 Posts
i just rolled mine with a bat the other day. thank god the horrible sound of tire rubbing is gone. :seeya:

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pics of the turn out plz? it scares me to think of taking a bat to my 6 :eek:

·
Registered
94 Posts
pics of the turn out plz? it scares me to think of taking a bat to my 6 :eek:
[/b]
You are not hitting it with the bat, you just roll carefully along the inner ridge of the fender while appling upward pressure. If you take your time and move the inner ridge a little at a time (heating the paint with a hair dryer as you go) you can achieve excellent results.

Make sure it's a wooden bat.:D

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol i wasn't sure. you never know, i've heard of people doing worse stuff

·
Registered
815 Posts
ill try to get pics as soon as i can. brother borrowed my digi cam. its pretty simple actually. just use a wooden bat and a piece of wood like a 2x4. put the 2x4 under the bat so the 2x4 will be the under the pivot point of the bat. the 2x4 should be sitting on the edge of the tire tread. and then just start pinching the fender. use a hairdryer to heat up the metal and paint so the paint wont crack.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thx man, thats the shit i want details. the tools for the job are always good but if you don't have any guidence its the blind leading the blind.

·
Registered
815 Posts
just remember to take your time. i had a pretty bad rubbing problem and i started taking a good amount of rubber off my tires so i couldnt wait any longer to get a fender roller.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what size are your wheels? im planning on getting 225/45/18s then lowering kit.

·
Registered
406 Posts
if you're not in a rush (and don't mind a little drive), come to the next 650 meet. i always let people use my roller for free. :)

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I rolled with a bat also. Just jack that shit up, shove the bat in there and have a friend hold it tight. Drop the car and drive foward and backwards until the fender is rolled. Pretty easy and works well.

·
Registered
103 Posts
what u can do it take a 2x4 or any slab of wood and lift ur car up. place at an angle against back tire and SLOWLY drop car til wood flattens lip. its soft enough no to crack paint but tough enough to do it. just be cautious cuz if u go too far it will push fender out...

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
I rented the fender roller and had a couple of other guys pay me to do their cars,I actually made money on the deal and had 4 hours of my time total invested between 5 cars.
You should post a bulletin in the regional forum and see if you get any replies,might be worth your time.
I have done the baseball bat fender rolling on another car and bent a fender out,I was very careful about it and still f_cked it up bad.If you try it it be very careful

·
Registered
63 Posts
do you guys think its necessary to rent the fender rolling tool or could it be done just as effectively with another tool, read the archives looking for alternative method. please link if you can.
[/b]
i used a pretty thick broomstick and it worked perfect..the car was pretty low and it scrapped like crazy in the rear, i have 19's x 8.5 on 225/35/19, i stuck the broom stick between the tire and where it rubbed and had a friend drive the car slowly forward and as the tire rolled it pushed the broomstick against the fender and tadahhhh perfect roll...no dents no chipping paint no nothing

·
Registered
224 Posts
I took mine to a local body shop and they used a small block of wood and a big wrench. Oh and a towel against the paint and the wood block. They would pinch the block against the fenders and slowly go all the way around. It worked really good!! Since I'm running 18x8 w/+35mm offset it's pinched all the way to the body.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts