Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just got my new wheels today(Yeah, yeah, I know worthless with out pics...) They are chrome Diablo Bugati's 18x7.5 with a +45mm offset. They look great on the 6!! They do stick out more than stock but, it is easily overlookable. Now here's the rub...They Rub!! The rear tires rub the fenders when the suspention is compressed even with the back seat empty. The tires are 225r 40 18's. I'm pretty sure that if I can get the inner lip of the rear fenders rolled up then this will eliminate the problem totally. I just need to know how is fender rolling done? If it's just a case of bending the inner lip up then I'll do it myself but, how can it be done without messing up the paint? I know a body shop can roll the fenders for me but, I don't want to spend the dough if I don't have to. Do they heat the paint before rolling? Is there some secret to doing it? Do the body shops just roll the fenders up and repaint that part? If anyone knows please help me. I love these wheels and don't want to have to return them to get something else with a higher offset. I know that would be best but, I couldn't find any rims I liked with higher offsets.( I liked the OZ Superleggeras with a +48mm offset but, they are on back order untill the end of may. I couldn't wait.) Sorry for the long post and, I'm not sure if this is the right place for it but, any help would be appreciated.
-Joboy

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Reading Topic: Fender rolling

i'm having the same problem with my rims... shit is scary. there's a device that rolls the fenders back sumwur.... i'lll look around for it.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks Whodiddy, if you find that machine please let me know. I just tried the Baseball bat method. It might work if I put the stock tires back on. With the low profile ones on I didn't have enough leverage or, my bat is just too skinny. Still if you're going to use this method you better be super careful about the paint. I'll try the bat again tomorrow. Need sleepy. If that doesn't work then I'll start calling some body shops. I must rub out the rubbing.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Replying to Topic 'Fender rolling'

I think I found the tool that Whodiddy was talking about. They rent it out at tirerack.com. It's called the Haweka fender roller. Here is a site showing it in action. http://www.overboost.com/story.asp?id=131 This is deffinatly the way to go. You have to call tirerack.com to get it because it's not on their site. I'm going to call them today and see if there's a waiting list or whatever.

·
Registered
34 Posts

I had the same problem and took out the jack, raised my car a little and used a 6" dia. peice of pvc to roll my fenders. Just put it in and lower the jack enough to put some pressure on the pvc and then pry up and roll it over the tire at the same time. worked wonderful and the pvc won't damage the paint. It will only cost a few bucks for a 3-4 foot section of pvc.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Don't EVER try this at home folks! It takes years and years of practice, or you'll ruin your baby...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts