Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I wanted to know if anyone was interested in rolling their fenders... basically to give yourself more clearance..

i have P215/P40 R18 tires and rim... and my rear right side tire hits the fender lips whenever i have 3 or more people in the car... when i go over bumps...

basically you can fix this problem 1 of 2 ways..

1) Use a baseball bat... shove it between the tire and fender lip at a 45 degree angle... and have a friend drive ur car up and down... like less than a foot... just to make the baseball bat roll around the fender... this will give u more space for ur tires... risk of damaging paint though especially in cold weather...

2) Fender Roller tool... it bolts on like your wheel bolts on... so take off your wheel.. and replace your wheel with this device... it has a rollerskate kind of wheel that it uses to safely roll your fender lip... less chance of damaging paint... use a heat gun to reduce chance even more (warm paint = more elastic... less cracking)

To buy a fender roller will cost you like 300 bucks.. but this website has them for rent... for 50 US dollars.. with a 250 dollar deposit..

What i suggest is... either we all pitch in and rent this thing and help each other roll our fenders at the next meet... or... we all pitch in and buy one... then again there will be a problem with deciding who holds it at their house...

Who is in on renting or buying the fender roller?

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I just got mine done.

$100 and if it rubbed again they'd roll it more or do whatever they could to make it fit.

My car when from tires23 with a fender roller to I think precision dent removal to roll the fender as much as they could without damaging the paint.

I have my fender fully rolled without any cracks in the paint.

My race tires are 245 which is much wider than yours and they don't rub anymore.

If you want you can check out my car and see for yourself.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just got mine done.

$100 and if it rubbed again they'd roll it more or do whatever they could to make it fit.

My car when from tires23 with a fender roller to I think precision dent removal to roll the fender as much as they could without damaging the paint.

My race tires are 245 which is much wider than yours and they don't rub anymore.

[/b]
where did you take them to be done? 100 bucks... for 150 more i can just buy the tool and do it for everyone else... maybe charge ppl at the meet or sumthin... or better just to rent one and everyone gets to use it... rental is for 5 days....

·
Registered
44 Posts
TireRack sells them... 300 bucks

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Walmart sells them too... in the sporting goods section. For some reason they label it "baseball bat"

·
Registered
863 Posts
Walmart sells them too... in the sporting goods section. For some reason they label it "baseball bat"
[/b]

i guess i can give that a shot. would it be best to use an aluminum or wood one? id assume a aluminum would be the strongest, but the wood would probably be more paint-friendly.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
[/b]
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
94 Posts
i guess i can give that a shot. would it be best to use an aluminum or wood one? id assume a aluminum would be the strongest, but the wood would probably be more paint-friendly.
[/b]
Uh, you want a wooden one. Do you have a second hand sporting goods store nearby? We have one called Play it Again Sporting Goods where they sell used bats. gloves, golfclubs, football pads, etc... If you can't find something like that try a Salvation Army store.

The secret to doing a professional looking job with a baseball bat is to go slow, use plenty of heat (a professional sized hair drier set on high will work) and move the metal a little at a time changing the angle of the bat slightly after every couple of passes. This is probably good advice even when you are using a fender rolling tool.

An option is renting a tool from this place.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
You can rent it from tires23 too if i recall correctly

I got mine done there too
unless you have the patience with a heated gun, ur better off paying the guys

Mazda6smtx car has no fender
mine has just enough so i can attach my side skirts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
these guys are from kansas and louisiana... they arent about to go to tires23 and tirerack.

guys, check your local forums, nothing there?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Balhar i was referring to junglemage...

·
Registered
444 Posts
i have a fender tool, i am in Montreal.

I can rent it to you for 50CND + 350CND deposit. (I paid more than 250USD because of shipping taxes, duty fees... just wanna make sure that I wont loose anything to this)

You pay for all shipping cost and Paypal fees. Pm me if interrested.
i can post pictures also with whatever you want me to write beside.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just got mine done.

[/b]

What is the offset of the 18 inch rim you are using if you don't mine me asking?

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I have never put an 18" wheel on my car. I have a 16x8 +50mm, and I've had a 19x8 +45 on my car. The 16's with 245's and the 19's with 235's.

If everything goes well next year, I'm going to try and fit 9" wide wheels on the car with either 255 or 265 tires.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts