Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was talking to my local parts guy about the sway bar kit for the 6. I wanted to know if they would work on the Speed6. Turns out they won't. Although he didn't say specifically, I imagine the front would work, but the rear probably has a drive shaft clearence issue.

At any rate, I told him that I know they send a lot of cars off the lot with aftermarket wheels and asked if they ever end up with a set of wheels in the process. He said yes they usually have a few sets around that they use to exchange to get chromed wheels. I asked if they had RX-8 18 x 8's around. He looked and confirmed that they had one full set of stock, silver RX-8 wheels. I bought them 15 minutes later for $600. Feeling pretty good about that right now. It looks like they list for $500 and sell around $350 a piece, so I can't complain too much.

That evening, I got online and ordered 4 235/40/18 Falken Azenis RT-615 tires to use for street and "track" (autocross in this case). Another $600 there. So, for about $1300 with tax and mounting, I should have a pretty sweet set-up and something that I know will fit!!!

I'll throw out some pictures when I get back from a business trip next week. The tires should arrive in the meantime.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I think you made a good choice, both on the rims and tire size! The rims look great on the car. The car looks way sharper. Of course I'm running them too, with 235/40 General Exclaims. Saved almost 5lbs per wheel (about 2lbs on the wheels and 3lbs on the tire). Some people say no fender rolling is required whiles say it will rub a bit. I rolled my fender lips before putting them on just in case..

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i'd like to put on RX-8 OEM rims, but i don't want to worry about fender rub. has anyone tried 225/40/18? is there an issue with them rubbing?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Great set up. I know there could be lighter set ups, but for the price, I wouldn't complain.

Hey if anyone has a lead on another clean set let me know! :D

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
eBay is a good source. There's usually one or two sets available. I got mine for $303 plus $130 shipping. I think the seller added handling charges, plus he was too lazy to ship them with two boxes taped together, and shipped all 4 individually instead, which probably increased the cost a bit. One of the rims had some curbing where the paint had chipped off but no damage to the aluminum. I touched them up so that they're not noticeable unless you're 12 inches away and specifically looking for them.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Yeah those RX8 wheels look sharp as hell on the car, but they're pig-heavy. No OEM wheel is going to be light enough to be taken seriously in a track environment.

That didn't stop me from buying a set, though. ;)

·
Registered
979 Posts
I have 225/40/18 on the stock speed 6 wheels... no issues

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
speelgal, are those replacements for your OEM tires? or for winter? what did you end up going with?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the rx8 wheels are in the range of 3lbs lighter than the stock speed6 wheels AND 1 inch wider. you're not going to find a set of trackable 18" wheels in more than a couple cases, so saying autocross and 18" wheels in the same sentence isn't a good thing.
[/b]
I assume you're refering to trackable wheels as being light wheels? I'm not sure that at the level that I (and probably everyone on this forum) participate in racing events the weight of the wheels on the car are consequential. I know that it takes more energy to rotate a greater mass and, if memory serves, that energy is also directly related to the square of the distance of the mass from the rotational centerline. But, when it comes to autocrossing, power is pretty much never the problem or the solution. It's all about grip and suspension dynamics. In so much as I can't adjust the camber, for instance, the suspension dynamics part can be difficult to tame on a stock car. So, I'll just take the grip I get from this combo and move on. I think it'll look nice in the process.

Sure, all the little CSP Miatas run 13" wheels, but the Speed 6 brake discs wouldn't even fit in a 13" wheel, let alone the binders. With our choice being basically 17" or higher for clearence reasons, the 18"s are not such an irrational choice for autocrossing. Not ideal by any means, but not irrational either. Now 20"....

·
Registered
2,767 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
i'm rocking RX-8 wheels with the stock 215/45/18's stretched over them. I love them and believe the car should have come like this off the showroom floor. They look way better than the oem MPS wheels (not to mention 100x's easier to clean especially with our brake dust problem) and the extra 1 inch in rim width is noticeable as it gives the tiny 215's a slight increase in contact patch area. BTW no clearance issues at stock ride height. I will report any issues when my springs go in.

·
Registered
829 Posts
:eek: Didn't you ask a bunch of advice about what would work and what wouldn't? Why did you bother and then go against what is recommended? I hope you don't have any issues, but don't be surprised if/when you do.

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?s=&a...st&p=785928
[/b]
I think that might be a typo? She originally said:

So if I went with Continental 225/45/18" I would be fine??? Is that correct? I'm guessing that because the sidewall of the 40 series tire doesn't give enough flex to fit the 7" rim? But, with the 45 series tire there is enough sidewall to flex to fit on a 7" rim?

Plus, I found a tire calculator and it shows that the 225/45/18" is almost the same diameter as stock which would be better for my speedometer.
[/b]

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a set of 8 wheels that I am waiting to put on, for the money it's the best wheel for the MS6. The offset is almost impossible to find in the aftermarket unless you spend big bucks. I also like the looks. I might have a deal on a complete wheel and tire package off an 8 that became a race car from day 1. If I get them I will sell the ones I have for what I paid for them ($375 + shipping). 3 are perfect, 1 has 1 inch rash very light. Will post if anyone is interested.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts