Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure whether this was posted yet or not.. but I will post it anyway. Was surfing at the Car and driver website this morning and found that they did a mid-size family top 10 comparison between these cars:

Dodge Stratus R/T
Honda Accord EX
Hyundai Sonata GLS V-6
Kia Optima LX
Mazda 6 i
Nissan Altima 3.5SE
Saturn L200
Subaru Legacy L
Toyota Camry SE
Volkswagen Passat GL 1.8T

Anyways.. I wont ruin the standings but I will just say that I wasn't very impressed with their rating systems for the top 3. What do you guys think?

I guess I should include the link.. hehe
http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddrive..._mainstream.xml

_Abs

·
Registered
11 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Febrauary 2003 C&D Report'

Yeah, well I'm starting to think that the Accorn will be getting rated higher over the 6 for some strange reason. I really have no clue why -- YECK! But for me, I'm not gonna sweat it. I personally don't like the Accorn at all so in my rating system I know the 6 will always have it beat.

If you really think about it, there'll be less people driving those hott 6's around. That's fine with me. I'd rather be the only one in my area with one.

Now.. can't wait til I get it!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Reading Topic: Febrauary 2003 C&D Report

How I see it?

The Accord is like an Camry, but better (for people who doesn't like to drive)

and the 6 is like an Altima, but better (for people who likes to drive)

That's it!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

I wish they'd post their stats for the cars, since they are driving mostly MT i-4's, why the hell did they use the V6 for the Altima? The i-4 Altima engine is pretty good. I hope the print addition has the stats inside

·
Registered
628 Posts

I saw this article in my new C&D and I pretty much agree with all they say. They hit the 4banger pretty hard, but so did I after driving it and the v6 back to back. Plus they give it good ranks for the styling and handling. I think the fact that a first year car came in second to an established sedan is a great compliment.

On a side note, I think it is great that they included the v6 Altima in this test, and to see it lost the most ponts on the tranny and the handling, not something like fuel economy next to the other 4 cyls. I would like to see how the C&D editors rank that car against the v6 models of the '6 and Accord, and whether those lower scores will stay.

·
Registered
391 Posts

How can they use Altima 3.5SE and Mazda6 I?? 160 vs. 245 horses doesnt make sense.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

Stew,

did they give numbers in the issue, like 0-60 1/4 miles etc. for the cars? The web site article didn't have them

·
Registered
231 Posts

Can't really fault them too much. They did say that the 6 drove and looked the best. I don't really know how you can win those 2 categories and come in second but the word 'compromise' popped up alot in the Accorrd sum up, meaning that it was a car that wasn't as sporty but was a bit more functional all round. I got the feeling that they really liked the accord engine and clutch system better too: its a 6 speed isn't it?

Mazda 6: 'Other entries agreed. "At speed, this car's chassis comes alive." "The 6 appears to be the fun-to-drive champ of the group." "Awesome grip in the wet." And so on. To our surprise, the ride isn't hurt much by the car's handling priorities. If perhaps a bit firm, it was clearly not firm enough to inhibit our enthusiasm when it came time to vote.'

·
Registered
628 Posts

Goddman POS, for future info, don't quickreply without logging in...Lost my whole thing I typed up....anyhoo....

The Altima is not the only 6cyl in the bunch, It accompanies the Dodge Stratus R/T and the Hyundai Sonata GLS. The Passat tested also has a 1.8 Turbo (It came in 3rd)

The 0-60 and 1/4mi files are as follows:

Mazda6i: (5 Speed)
0-60 - 7.9
1/4 mi - 16.4 @ 86mph

Accord EX: (*5 Speed*)
0-60 - 7.5
1/4 mi - 16.1 @ 87mph

Passat GL 1.8T (5 Speed *Auto*)
0-60 - 7.6
1/4 mi - 16.1 @ 89mph

Altima 3.5SE: (5 Speed)
0-60 - *5.9*
1/4 mi - 14.6 @ 96mph

The Altima sticks out like a sore thumb in that test, and it still only came in 5th. I would wonder why they didnt test the 4cyl Altima, especially when it was ranked as poorly as it was, behind four i4's.

Edit for Typo

·
Registered
262 Posts

They didn't test the 2.5 4 cylinder Altima because Nissan couldn't provide them with one for the test. The only one they could get for the test was the 3.5 V-6, but that didn't help the Altima too much now did it?

·
Registered
432 Posts

If the V6 Altima came in midpack, makes you wonder where a 4 cylinder model have placed.

·
Registered
96 Posts

Why the hell didn't they test a 6s for that price instead of getting a 6i with every single option? Then they ding the 6 for "frumpy rear end styling"? I smell black ball.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Febrauary 2003 C&D Report'

Originally posted by Torgo

Why the hell didn't they test a 6s for that price instead of getting a 6i with every single option?  Then they ding the 6 for "frumpy rear end styling"?  I smell black ball.[/b]
Actually the "frumpy rear-end styling" was aimed at the Accord. the 6's 'Lows' comment was "Four-Cylinder not that flexible". They made no negative comments on the 6's styling. In fact it got rated 10 out of 10 in that category.

·
Registered
526 Posts

Yeah - the frumpy comment was directed at the Accord. And C&D had just tested the 6s a couple months earlier. Didn't make a lot of sense to hit it again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts