Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a gift for my Nephew's birthday, his dad has a 72 Monte Carlo that he will probably pass on to my Nephew when he turns 16. My Nephew talks about fixing it up all the time, he has Year One Monte Carlo part books and junk, He has made friends with a local Chevy club as well, so I hope this rendering will inspire his fragile little mind. Its done with the same markers Chip Foose uses when he draws up those killer cars on Overhaulin, Im not quite as good yet but Im just as fast. Plus Id like to see him keep up with me in Photoshop. JK I admire his work.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Nice artwork, Fatboy. :yesnod: Should have drawn a '73, though! (Just personal preference. The '73-'75's were my dream cars when I was a kid. That and '71-'74 Javelins. That ought to stir up a few chuckles for you! :laugh: )

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
nice job cars suck at drawling they are so hard to make look real.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Very nice work Fatboy! :yesnod:

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
looks great man! why didnt you post in the photoshop contest? i got u in the poll but u never showed
[/b]
I feel like such an ass standing you up like that, I did not realize you had let me in till it was too late. Sucks because I wanted to PS the 6 in full rally gear with hood scoop bbs wheels huge intercooler big fog lights, crazy paint job with all the sponsers stickers. I was also going to add an Impreza and Evo behind it.

Zoomnbyu Ive seen Javelins at car shows I shit you not I once saw one with a 454 in it! it would make a cool cartoon rendering. Thanks for looking guys.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im thinking about doing a MS6, Im going to look for a dropped 6 w/ axis/rays wheels. Im going to add a touring style wing and sideskirts. I dont know if Ill keep the stock grill, it helps to identify the car for those not fimiliar.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
<off-topic>
You should fire your web-designer.
</off-topic>

Nice drawings.

I'm trying to learn how to draw in Corel Painter IX using my Wacom tablet, but it's so fucking hard. I thought I had good hand-eye-coordination, but guess not.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im more of a traditional mouse user. Those tablets can be hell, but I did use corel draw in college so I know a bit about the software. I designed my site but a friend uploaded it using a crappy host, my year is almost up any suggestions on a beter host?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Im more of a traditional mouse user. Those tablets can be hell, but I did use corel draw in college so I know a bit about the software. I designed my site but a friend uploaded it using a crappy host, my year is almost up any suggestions on a beter host? [/b]
Godaddy.com ain't bad as far as it comes to cheap hosts. Plus, you can register your domain with them for like $8-9/yr.

Besides, I wasn't talking about your host when I told you to fire your webdesigner, but I guess you can't fire yourself. lol ;)

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What dont you like about it? Its constructive critisisum so please vent, I wont be mad.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
What dont you like about it? Its constructive critisisum so please vent, I wont be mad. [/b]
Well, first off, it's a very dark layout that is sitting on a blank white page. It's like a black piece of paper on a white wall - too much contrast that does not get along with the design. But that's probably more due to bad coding. More on the coding part later.

I understand what you were trying to do: You were trying to accomplish a brushed aluminium car like feel to it. The header particularly reminds me of a car grill, with the logo serving as a Ford-esque emblem. The bad part is, that usually does not look well on a website. The blocky texture that surrounds the logo at the top and the content is just flat out ugly. It looks like a big wristband of a watch surrounding the page.

I love the logo because you can use it in many different ways on a website, and it's a good looking logo and effective one at that.

The biggest thing that bugs me is the spacing of the layout. There are a ton of gaps, no symmetry to the content, and the fonts that you used do not belong on a web-page. The fonts are hard to read, and inconsistent throughout the layout. Meaning? The font changes on each and every page. The other is that a GIF was used for the images. What's wrong with that? Well, you should know if you've worked with programs before: GIF only supports 256 colors. All the images you have put up have dithering and are not displaying all the colors you used. It really degrades the quality of the images more so than a low-level JPG would. Also, some of the images are improperly resized. They show a lot of jaggies and are not smooth when viewed in full.

Now on to the coding... The website is not really a website. It's a series of posters with an image-map-link set on top of it. That's fine in certain situations when you don't have a lot of text, but there are areas of the website that does have textual content. The margins are not set (see the big white space between the beginning of the page and the actual layout?), the page background is not set, the name of the page is not set, and a lot more.

The footer is fine I suppose, but I don't see the need to display your email address that big if you have a functioning Contact page (which you do). Same with the repetition of the logo - it is not necessary to have it be that big of a size on the footer.

Not trying to pull a high-horse here or anything, just trying to help out. You are far more likely to attract more customers with a better looking and functional website.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks lethal6i for the write up, and the time to look at my site. Im going to do some changes when I have some time. I went to art school but I was shown very little about html and the structure of a good website, it was too new of a field and our teachers had no clue. I need a good book on the basics and how to create functioning sites, do you know of any? And also I used frontpage It took me a while to understand what I was doing but I know theres gotta be a better program.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Thanks lethal6i for the write up, and the time to look at my site. Im going to do some changes when I have some time. I went to art school but I was shown very little about html and the structure of a good website, it was too new of a field and our teachers had no clue. I need a good book on the basics and how to create functioning sites, do you know of any? And also I used frontpage It took me a while to understand what I was doing but I know theres gotta be a better program. [/b]
Frontpage is fine for coding websites. That's how I learned, but I now have switched to Macromedia/Adobe Dreamweaver. As far as books? I never used any, but the recommended text for my last design class is:

Wiedermann, Julius. Taschen's 1000 Favorite Websites. Taschen, Germany, 2003.
ISBN: 3-8228-2586-7

And here is a website on designing for optimal usability:

http://psychology.wichita.edu/optimalweb/

1 - 15 of 15 Posts