Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm having a problem on my 2006 Mazda6i 4cyl. When braking at any speed the steering wheel vibrates a lot and the problem is only getting worse. I installed completely new rotors and pads about 14 months ago and then I had to have the rotors turned about 6 months after that. So here I am 8 months after the rotors were turned and now the vibrations are bad again so I am just going to replace rotors/pads.

My concern is that this wear seems abnormally fast. I think brakes should last longer, no? The car is driven mostly on the highway. Even when its not on the highway, the major roads around here are all 55 with frequent flow of traffic speeds around 65. So the majority of the breaking is done from speeds around 55-85. Is this why the rotors are warping so badly so quickly? Could I put better rotors/pads on my little 4-banger?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Sure you could put better rotors and pads on your car. I have heard that rotors can warp as frequent as every year. Maybe you are just getting what you paid for. Did you buy cheap rotors? I have a similar problem with my car aprox 2 years after I put new rotors on and I bought the cheap Advance Auto ones. Are you sure your brakes are bad? Just because the rotors are warped doesn't mean your brakes are shot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I don't know what else it could be. Replacing the brakes always fixes the problem so that's why I think brakes are shot. I always get the high end parts from my local autozone. Duralast gold is the name.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Use quality brake parts. I would but new rotors rather then turn them, 2 reasons. 1 when the rotors are cut the loss of material causes a loss in heat capacity and decreases the life. 2 new rotors dont cost that much.
If you are using a non organic pad (ceramic, metal matrix) the pad will actually wear the rotor faster then the pad. So an upgrade in rotor material may be required.
Clean the hub/ wheel mounting surface of corrosion and use a torque wrench when tightening your wheels. Uneven lug torques and large heat cycles from highway driving can cause brakes to have the "warped" feel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also wanted to ask about the rear driver side rotor which looks like the attached picture. It just started making this grinding noise sometimes when braking and it looks like there is some metal on metal wear there. Could someone confirm this just by looking at the picture? I plan on jacking the car up and taking a better look at some point this weekend. Ugh!

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I went out and had a closer look at the pads... the one on the driver side is down to the metal. The passenger side one still has lots of pad left on it so I am not sure what is going on here. I'm gonna bleed the lines and check the caliper when I do the brakes tomorrow. I'm hoping I dont have to replace the caliper but I'm not sure what else would cause that one pad to wear so much quicker than the other one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts