Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 5,000 miles ago (@20K), my tire treads were meaty and looked to only be barely half worn. I noticed today (@ 25K), they're pretty close to the wear bars. It's like the second half of the tread is made of rubber that vaporizes. While the tires are wearing perfectly evenly, they've worn unexpectedly quickly given how good the tread was looking.

I've had Crapelins as OEM tires on my Hondas and they've lasted well over 40K. I thought the OEM tires on my 6 were going to be the same way until the last month or so. I'll be lucky to hit 30K.

Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Well Mazda never rotated mine, so my two front worn down real quick. I think I had to buy two new ones around 20K but the two I didn't replace should still have another 8K on them and I just passed 30K.

·
Registered
72 Posts
my dealer warned me about the soft tires that are on the 6's. So i knew to expect about 20-30k miles from them before I made the purchase.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
What tires are you talking about? I have 45+k on the oem 18" michelin's and the tread wear is phenomenal. Tire rotations every 15k miles.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Check your toe. Sounds like your alignment may be causing premature wear.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check your toe. Sounds like your alignment may be causing premature wear.
Thanks for the suggestion but I'm pretty sure it's not alignment. There are no abnormal wear patterns at all on the tires. They're wearing perfectly evenly across the tread and at all four corners of the car. If toe was in question, I'd see one edge or the other wearing. And the car isn't pulling. And tire pressures are spot on, too.

I do drive hard :D so I'll attribute it to aggressive driving. The 6 handles as well as my Accord did with a read sway bar upgrade and stickier tires. With my Accord, it was mostly highway driving cuz I had my Civic for a daily driver at the time.

Looks like I'll be looking for new tires soon.

Any suggestions? Leaning towards Bridgestone...

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
^^^ That's not necessarily true. If you're cambered in with F-ed toe, then yes....but I just recently scrubbed about 1/32 of EVEN tread off of my Falken 615s by driving about 200km on a super shitty alignment. The wear pattern was dead even but extremely fast.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I tend to agree with Egierda. I had lots of meat on mine at 24k (they sucked with 0 miles on them) I tend to go through tires somewhere between 5500-6500 miles per every 100 of treadwear . . .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts