1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.. Long story made short.

2003 Mazda 6s
Car is no longer under warranty
For the past 5,000 miles I have noticed that the fan is constantly running on the car with or without the A/C running. When the car gets shut off the fan can run for up to 2-3 minutes afterwards and will cycle on and off during that time. I thought there was a recall for the Fan Control Module so I took it into the dealer this morning. They have now said that there is no recall out for that and is charging the $100 to fix. I realize it's not much, but $100 is a new tire :)

Can anyone find the anything about that recall? I can only find it on 6tech.

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fan Recall PDF

Does that help?

I found it from Rosenthal's Website off of a post I remembered in their vendor forum (here)
[/b]
Well.. that says an SSP and may only apply to vehicles under warranty. With mine being ut of warranty, it may not apply. That and I'm not sure if my car falls into that date range.

·
Registered
823 Posts
The only time I saw the word warranty in the document was when they were talking about a rental car for you to drive while they fix yours. Page three lists the build dates and vin ranges. Is atleast some place to start or try. Was also the only thing I found regarding the fans on the site...

Haven't some people used aftermarket fan controls to solve this problem as well?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Well.. that says an SSP and may only apply to vehicles under warranty. With mine being ut of warranty, it may not apply. That and I'm not sure if my car falls into that date range.
[/b]
I don't believe this was ever a recall. I know I received a letter for my car, but I don't remember it being an official recall notice, just a letter similar to the one in the link. Isn't a recall usually only issued when there are safety issues?

Here's a pdf of the letter sent to the dealers:

SSP 60

·
Registered
164 Posts
I was told the same thing from the dealer. My car is not under warranty either and I had to pay for the Module myself.

·
Registered
315 Posts
No biggie... Next time it happens I'll just buy a suitable replacement so it doesnt happen again.
[/b]
i have 57k and my dealer replaced it free of charge. yes, smith cairns in yonkers, n.y. :love:

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
not exactly "right" but if you have someone that is still under warranty...and you are cool with them. just swap the unit with the warranty car, they go in and it's all gravy. had a couple guys go that route out here.

·
Registered
143 Posts
i had this "fan control module" replaced on mine due to recall, but mine is acting up once AGAIN after about a year after i got it replaced....i still need to talk to the dealer if they'll replace it again even though my warranty is up...

·
Registered
27 Posts
My fan is doing the same thing. I had it replaced once under warranty then again with a recall. I took it to the dealer today and indeed it is bad. The dealer called the rep and he said they will replace it at NO CHARGE! But the part is on back-order. So it appears that another batch of these are faulty and it may be another recall. They just don't have the parts in stock to do one yet. Try another dealer and see if they will call the rep. But I wouldn't pay for it! I was told that the part may be a while in getting there.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just got my fan control module replaced this week, '04 6s ATX with 36k miles, NOT in the SSP VIN range. The dealer still fixed it free of charge under warranty. Hopefully it won't go bad.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm taking my 05 6s ATX Wagon w/14.5K miles to the dealer tomorrow - fan is acting up - trying to run and not running - then reving fast and shutting off - more often with AC on but also with AC off - apparently the FCM has not been fixed at the factory level - I'll see if my dealer is familiar with the issue... is this an easy plug & play part? Anone have a diagram pointing out the module?

thnx

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm taking my 05 6s ATX Wagon w/14.5K miles to the dealer tomorrow - fan is acting up
[/b]
totally Fan Control Module - replaced by dealer in 30 minutes - running fine now. We'll see if this is an updated FCM - or how long it'll run well before failing again...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've never had this issue on my 04 m6, but just yesterday when i turned off the car after i was on the freeway for 25 min. the fan kept on running --irregular hi and low, im still under warranty so i guess it's this FCM everybody seems to be experiencing.

·
Registered
957 Posts
i also went in for this recall around last year, and it is acting up again but it isn't as bad as last time. .i wonder if i should take it to the dealer... i hate my dealer, mazda of oakland. their such a freaking a-holes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
13 Participants
silx29
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing