Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2018 Mazda 6 Signatures at my local Mazda dealer all come with Falken Tires.
Have never heard of them until now, and haven’t seen great reviews.
Will probably insist on dealer swapping them out for Michelin Pilot Sports.
Any input or tire experts on forum??

·
Registered
194 Posts
All the 2018 Mazda 6 models from the Touring up have the Falken tires. They're decent for all-season tires but don't expect any crazy amounts of grip, especially from a relatively skinny 225 wide tire. They're fairly quiet and offer a comfortable ride, but they are pretty squishy when you do any sort of quick transitions and give up grip quickly if you take any corner too hot. For daily driving however, they work well and don't feel nervous or tramline like the Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my Q50 do. I'd hazard to guess that they also contribute to better fuel economy with a lower amount of rolling resistance compared to high performance summer tires.

·
Super Moderator
16,957 Posts
Depends on which Falkens they are, but Dougspeed summed it up pretty well.

I'm on my 2nd set of Falkens and love them for the price. $125 per tire 255/35/R20 is hard to beat, but I'd be kidding myself if I really considered them "all season" - I run a dedicated set of winters because, quite honestly, the Falkens would scare me in the winter (though I have had a couple instances where I was forced to use them in snow and they seemed to do just fine).

·
Registered
121 Posts
Also explains the M+S (mud & snow) marking on them which I was surprised to see there.

I’ve had these out in an inch or two of snow and they seemed to work okay. Had no traction issues at all, but then again... brand new tires with full tread. We’ll see what it’s like late fall after they’ve got 7000-ish miles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Pilot Super Sports are the best performing tire you will ever have....HOWEVER...tread wear is horrible for the premium price in my experiences. I have switched to Conti's (<$400 cheaper for set) and juries still out on these. The ride diff from the Michelins is almost indiscernible so far...

·
Registered
766 Posts
I agree about the comments on the Falkens. Especially in curves with textured asphalt, you can feel the rear of the car squish and wiggle thru the turn. The Contis on my ‘16 felt much better. Straight ahead and in moderate driving the Falkens are fine but I’m noticing as I push the car more and more the Falkens ultimately don’t have the grip for high speed hijinx.

Pilot Super Sports are the best performing tire you will ever have....HOWEVER...tread wear is horrible for the premium price in my experiences. I have switched to Conti's (<$400 cheaper for set) and juries still out on these. The ride diff from the Michelins is almost indiscernible so far...
Which Contis are you running? I’m debating between the ExtremeContact DSW06 which I’ve used for years or changing to the Michelin’s Pilots or Exalto because they’re supposed to have slightly better grip.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I've tried Michelin Pilot as3's and found them to perflrm great but wear out fast. I have been running Yoko Advans and really like the balance of comfort and performance. They handle corners really well but are not as harsh over bad pavement when compared to the pilots. Fwiw.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
189 Posts
Let's put it this way. I cannot recall the last car I haven't ripped the stock tires off of and replaced them with a more premium tire. I'm a hard person to please when it comes to tires. That said I have no qualms with the Falken tires surprisingly -- even surprised myself to be honest. I won't repeat what everyone else has already said, but they sum it up well.

I'm not a really spirited driver these days, so breaking the tires loose is nothing I can speak to, but I do A LOT of highway miles and the cabin is comfortably quiet over my previous 2016 Mazda3.

·
Banned
886 Posts
I have the Firestone Indy 500. I paid $650 for the set and installation. They summer cause Florida. They are obviously not super sport lol but you don't own a BMW m4 or mustang

I see no point in overspending in tires when the car is a 4 cylinder than makes 178hp lol

These tires are good for my needs and have a nice tread design. When the time comes I may buy them again

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I have the Firestone Indy 500. I paid $650 for the set and installation. They summer cause Florida. They are obviously not super sport lol but you don't own a BMW m4 or mustang

I see no point in overspending in tires when the car is a 4 cylinder than makes 178hp lol

These tires are good for my needs and have a nice tread design. When the time comes I may buy them again
You again? Please spare us your twisted perspective and go buy your mustang, InfinitY or BMW. Power is NOT the only reason to upgrade tires.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
194 Posts

Read the OPs original post, he's talking about the tires that come stock with the 2018 model that has a 4-cylinder turbo with 250hp with 310 ft/lb of torque. That being said, you don't need a high hp car to appreciate enhanced grip and just better driving characteristics of a higher end brand tire such as Michelin. I've read a few of your other posts, you seem a bit naive when it comes to anything auto related, especially with your post about the new Camry being better. Also, your gen Mazda 6 has 184hp, not 178. ;-)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Which Contis are you running? I’m debating between the ExtremeContact DSW06 which I’ve used for years or changing to the Michelin’s Pilots or Exalto because they’re supposed to have slightly better grip.
Yep. DSW06. Pilots probably have marginally better grip but I just got tired of shelling out $$ every year for new tires.Also, the Pilot SS turn to concrete when temps hit 40 or below. I have Blizzaks for heart of winter but the Contis handle well in low accumulation snow and cold roads.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The 2018 Mazda 6 Signatures at my local Mazda dealer all come with Falken Tires.
Have never heard of them until now, and haven’t seen great reviews.
Will probably insist on dealer swapping them out for Michelin Pilot Sports.
Any input or tire experts on forum??
Just bumped into this thread. I had my car towed to dealership and they provided me with a 2020 Mazda 6 equipped with Falken Tires. Last 6 years, I've been using Continental ContiPro with an attempt of Hankooks at some point. Please, replace the Falken asap. I've entered a curve at 35 mph and the whole rear went left and right... Dangerous tires. You wouldn't know how dangerous if you haven't used a Continental, Michelin or any other reputable brand... The car can... the tires can't...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts