Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide what my next tire will be. I drive the freeway alot for work at least 60mi a day. So in your opinion which would you choose?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Reading Topic: Falken Azenis or Kuhmo 712's

The Azenis are very sticky (I have them on my Miata) but they are very soft and 16K would be pushing the outside edge of the wear limit. If you do 60 mi a day they won't last long.

·
Registered
657 Posts

Keep in mind, the tires you're deciding between only last for 10,000 miles if you're LUCKY. They're more for autocross than they are for highway driving.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

then what do you suggest. Iknow you have to sacrafice life of tire for performance but is there a tire that is right in the middle

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Well there is always the theory of buy the less expensive tire and just replace it more often.

Tires I have been thinking about are the Sumitomo HTR+ and the Yokohama AVS ES100. But tires are like cars, what I like you may hate.

·
Registered
657 Posts

Well, the Kumhos are damn cheap, and I only drive about 5000 miles a year, maybe 2000 of that during the summer, so I'm looking into those for myself. For something longer lasting, while still being summer tires, you have to pay to play. Me, I'd just replace the Kumhos.

Of course at this rate, the Kumhos would last me the life of my car. =)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Falken Azenis or Kuhmo 712's'

I ran Kuhmos on my truck - the712's. 225 55 r 16's ont he front and 255 50 r16's out back.
I was concerned with tire wear but for the price I figured I could easily rplace them when need be. As it turned out Ihad 12k Miles on them before I got ride of the truck for the 6s and thre was only slight tire wear onthe rear. I expeced more wear than what I ended up with. And they handle awesome in the rain.
So I'm running kuhmos when these wear out!

·
Registered
298 Posts

does anyone know how much it would cost for a set of 4 tires for either one of those brand of tires?? also would 245 size tires fit on the 6?

thanks
Elmer

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Ask whodiddy, he has 225/40-18s on his. He should have an idea if a wider tire would fit.

·
Registered
298 Posts

Well i actually already have 225/40/18 Sumitomo's on my ride..but i want to upgrade..and i have OZ antares that are 18x8 1/5....so does this mean that i could put a 245/40/18 size tired on the rim?? now would it fit the 6....that's all i need to know...because if it does..them i'm going to the tired shop ASAP!! :D

Elmer

Originally posted by LBJay

Ask whodiddy, he has 225/40-18s on his. He should have an idea if a wider tire would fit.[/b]

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

225/40WR18 7.5" 9.1" 8" 25"
235/40WR18 8" 9.3" 8.5" 25.4"
245/40WR18 8" 9.5" 8.8" 25.8"

Well, looking at the Specs for the Sumitomo HTR Z II, from a 225 to a 245 you are going to go from about 9.5" to 9.75" in width (a guess based on both tires on an 8.5" rim) and you will gain almost an inch in height.

If your car is lowered, I would be amazed if they fit with out severe rubbing. How close to rubbing are you now?

·
Registered
298 Posts

they're not rubbing at all...hey good research..those are the EXACT tires i have ..the HTR Z II....where would the be rubbing?? on the inside or outside??

thanks
Elmer

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Both maybe, inside when you turn. Outside when you hit a bump. What offset are your rims?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts