Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I purchased my 04 Wagon pretty much every suspension bushing in the front end was smoked. I went through and replaced both upper and lower control arms on both sides with Moog replacements. Now I've had another lower control arm bushing failure after only 30k miles. When I installed the replacement arms everything was torqued with the suspension compressed to avoid the usual twisting failure of the bushings. The latest failure the bushing extruded out both sides of the arm. I've never seen a bushing fail like this. Any ideas what caused it? Is this a normal failure for these?

·
Rally Racer
3,149 Posts
I have had this issue as well with my wagon.

Here is what I found.

When I torqued the bushings I was not able to compress the suspension quite enough (because of the spring) to get to the resting height. I was about 1/2-9/16" short of achieving ride height. I thought it would be close enough and went for it.
About a year later I noticed the clunks and ended up with what you are showing.
This time I disconnected the lower strut fork so I could get the exact height and so far so go, (over a year ago).

It is not the best design.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I've owned Mazda's my whole adult life and have never had good luck with aftermarket rubber components, specially suspension bushings and CV axle boots.
Now I spend a little more (a lot !) and buy OEM. It's worth it if you plan of keeping your Mazda.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
+1 on the ride height.

Torquing it at proper ride height is crucial for nearly all suspension parts.

You install the replacement part(s) as normal. Leaving the bolts/nut secure but loose then maneuver the suspension to factory height and tighten to proper torque spec. This alleviate unwarranted stress on those bushings and ball joints. This ensures that at ride height all component are at their neutral state.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had all of my bushings replaced about 3 months ago and now they're screeching and squeaking at all times... should've gone the oem route, never again will I buy aftermarket bushings...

·
Rally Racer
3,149 Posts
I will retorque with the lower strut bolt removed. I'm sure as of right now it was torqued with it bolted up and I'm probably an inch or so short of ride height. Also thinking about replacing the bushing with this- spf2954k | Front Lower Control Arm Bushing | 2003-2007 Mazda 6
I was 5/8 in short of ride height when I torqued mine and they failed a year later.
Undo the strut and put it at ride height. It only takes a few minutes.
Two years now on aftermarket (Delco Professional and Moog) with no sounds or clunks

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had another lower control arm bushing failure just like the last one I posted. Rubber was pushed out towards the inside. Since this was my FOURTH front lower control arm bushing failure I wanted to do a more permanent fix, or at least I hope more permanent. I made up a set of Delrin bushings to replace the rubber. Hoping this holds up more than 30k miles or so. There's the other advantages of no binding or deflection too.

1613997253354.png 1613997331065.png 1613997355861.png

1 - 8 of 8 Posts