Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my fairly perfectly working 6s failed inspection today. Apparently a "Communications failure" on the obd scan and a triggered CEL. My car has never had a CEL before so I'm fairly sure this was created by the user plugging in the scanner.

I seem to remember a post a long time back about certain steps to hookup the scanner without triggering a cel like the car having to be off when it's connected in addition to using a CAN compatible scanner?

Not able to find it in searches though, anyone else remember anything similar? This JL had managed to scan my car last year without a problem.

·
Registered
820 Posts
usually you can get an exemption from the scan portion of the inspection if they can't get their tool to connect. You could try to just go to a different DMV as well. Do they have private inspection stations in NC? Here in NJ you can go do certain garages and gas stations to get it done as well as the DMV.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
If the testing station doesn't have a CAN-compatible scan tool, and/or the technician doesn't follow the specific procedure for connecting the scanner to the OBD port, you will get a CEL. The station should have a list of cars with CAN-equipped systems, and at least ONE technician should know that the testing procedure is different that regular OBDII cars. Call the testing station you went to and explain the situation. The same thing happened to me when I first had my 6 tested. I called the station and spoke with the manager. He apologized and told me to come back ASAP and he would allow me to skip the waiting line and do a tailpipe test.

·
Registered
431 Posts
If the tech connected that scanner while your car was running that was probably the cause. Make sure they have the car completely off and key out of ignition before they hook up the scanner.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
If your 6 hasn't had an ecu update in a while, then get the MSP10 reflash that Raynman posted.

Same thing happened to me a few months ago, never had a CEL, then I go to get inspected, instant CEL.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the thoughts, I'm going to take it to the dealer for the inspection. I'm at 39k miles and my cd changer stopped playing cd's too so I need to bring it in anyway.

The CEL turned off the next day by itself so I'm pretty much convinced that the person scanning it was the reason it was on.

I'll post another update after I get it done

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Surprise surprise, the car passed inspection at the dealer. Jiffy Lube sucks. That's really the only thing I let them do and they can't even do that right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts