Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the truth. Independent testing of the interior noise. All figures are dBA. (and an additional note: km/tim means km/h...)

Mazda 6:
50 km/tim - 63
70 km/tim - 64
90 km/tim – 67,5
110 km/tim - 70
130 km/tim – 73

Opel Vectra:
50 km/tim - 60 (63)
70 km/tim - 62 (65)
90 km/tim - 64 (68)
110 km/tim - 67 (71)
130 km/tim - 69 (73)
(Numbers in paranthesis are on roughly paved roads)

Citroën C5:
50 km/tim 62,8
70 km/tim 65,6
90 km/tim 67,5
110 km/tim 70,9
130 km/tim 73,7

Ford Mondeo:
50 km/tim 62,0
70 km/tim 64,1
90 km/tim 66,6
110 km/tim 71,1
130 km/tim 73,3

Renault Laguna:
50 km/tim 59,3
70 km/tim 62,2
90 km/tim 65,5
110 km/tim 68,4
130 km/tim 72,1

VW Passat Turbo:
50 km/tim 59,6
70 km/tim 61,7
90 km/tim 64,7
110 km/tim 67,3
130 km/tim 70,2

Toyota Camry:
50 km/tim 60,4 (64,1)
70 km/tim 63,6 (66,1)
90 km/tim 66,8 (69,2)
110 km/tim 69,5 (71,5)
130 km/tim 71,9 (72,5)
(On rough roads in paranthesis)

Saab 9.5:
50 km/tim 63
70 km/tim 64
90 km/tim 66
110 km/tim 70
130 km/tim 72

Volvo S80:
50 km/tim 58
70 km/tim 62
90 km/tim 65
110 km/tim 69
130 km/tim 72

As you can see hard facts tell that Mazda6 is not more noisy than other cars. In fact it is less noisy in many cases. Facts talk for themselves...

·
Registered
350 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Facts on the noise issue'

It's a hughe difference between feeling and measuring noise.
Human ear is much more sensitive to certain frequencys and type of noise.
This can't be measured, the measure can only give a hint.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Yes, but hard facts are hard facts. Look at Vectra. It too has a very silent ride, unless on rough roads where it is more "normal". Vectra has (as Mazda6) been criticized for much noise.

:sarc

·
Registered
350 Posts

Originally posted by Steve 6er

Yes, but hard facts are hard facts. Look at Vectra. It too has a very silent ride, unless on rough roads where it is more "normal". Vectra has (as Mazda6) been criticized for much noise.

:sarc[/b]
Yes and that proved what I wrote...;)

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Originally posted by MazdaSpeed

Where dis you get it from Steve 6er?  :)[/b]
Data comes from swedish car magazine Vi bilägare ( www.vibilagare.se ) that does comprehensive testing on all tested vehicles.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Originally posted by junkan

Originally posted by Steve 6er

:sarc[/b]
Yes and that proved what I wrote...;) [/b][/quote]

In a way I must agree...:D

But it is interesting to see that if a car is extremely silent when it comes to wind noise, road noise gets more obvious even if it isn't louder than in other cars. Talk about punish yourself...:sarc

Anyway: since noise is whatever you experience it to be, Mazda must take this criticism seriously, whatever the hard facts are.

But it feels good to see those hard facts anyway...:D

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

70DB's (as long as the measurements are the same as in the US) is nothing! A low radio can hit 70DB's. Also understand that a couple of DB's is going to make no difference at all.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Exactly. 3 dB means doubling sound pressure. So 73 dB is exactly twice as high sound pressure as 70 dB. And that is, due to the logarithmical construction of the human ear, the lowest increase the brain can detect.

Pain threshold is at 110 dB, which is more than 4000 times higher sound pressure than 73 dB.

But the brain also detects "likes" and "unlikes"...pleasant sounds can be tolerated at much higher dB:s than unpleasant ones. So it still comes down to subjective experience.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Not even Mercedes E-240 (E-klasse) survives the noise test without being criticized...

50 km/tim 62,0 (63,5)
70 km/tim 64,1 (67,8)
90 km/tim 66,7 (70,9)
110 km/tim 70,2 (73,5)
130 km/tim 72,5 (74,6)

Numbers within the paranthesis are on roughly paved roads. As you can see, it is really not any "better" than Mazda6.

But it sure as **** is much more expensive!!:D

·
Registered
137 Posts

Wouldn't the engine noise be a factor. If your engine compartment was better insulated wouldn't you get less interior noise. How do they take that into account. Also if you have a V6 than a I4 it won't have to work as hard.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Originally posted by Omega

Wouldn't the engine noise be a factor.  If your engine compartment was better insulated wouldn't you get less interior noise.  How do they take that into account.  Also if you have a V6 than a I4 it won't have to work as hard.[/b]
One of the reasons I probably will opt for the V6. Engine noise is sporty, but I don't know how much I would want in a sedan. Maybe a little, but not alot.

·
Registered
163 Posts

Actually, the road noise is not too bad. It's just that if mazda have put more effort, it would have been a more comfortable ride.

Not a problem in regards to wind noise. I've travelled at speed of 130Km/h. Never notice it. Otheriwse, it really give a "cheap" quality car feel.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

Greetings, This is my first post with you guys, I'm glad to see a Mazda6/Atenza board up and running, this car has alot of potential so I'm glad there is a web resource for it. Being in the U.S., Texas specifically, I haven't had the pleasure of driving the car yet, so I can personally comment on the noise issue. I went back through many of the U.S. magazine reviews of the car and I didn't find any mention of noise issues, I was wondering, where did this issue crop up? Was it a non U.S. review? Are cars outside the U.S. possibly quieter? I'm reallt looking forward to getting a V6-5speed, so I hope this isn't a big issue. Nice job with the site, I look forward to hearing your views.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

From the test of Mazda6 in "Vi bilägare":

"The noise is pleasantly dampened in the common speeds. The wind noise is almost not noticable. On rough paving, the tyre noise comes through, but not more than on most other cars. At higher speeds the engine begins to sound buzzy."

---

I think this is a very balanced point of view. Some journalists use big words for small problems, but not the paper I quote here. Little problems are mentioned using small words, and big problems using big words.

The only thing this paper is not fully satisfied with is the rust protection - it isn't too good (no wax in hollow rooms, the protective layer underneath isn't 100 percent covering the metal and the body ends around the wheel arches are of an old design that collects dirt and moisture. Also there is a felt protection in the rear wheel housings that has a hard time to dry).

Beside these things (that one can actually fix oneself, most of it at least) they only have good things to say.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Originally posted by Brillo

Greetings, This is my first post with you guys, I'm glad to see a Mazda6/Atenza board up and running, this car has alot of potential so I'm glad there is a web resource for it. Being in the U.S., Texas specifically, I haven't had the pleasure of driving the car yet, so I can personally comment on the noise issue. I went back through many of the U.S. magazine reviews of the car and I didn't find any mention of noise issues, I was wondering, where did this issue crop up? Was it a non U.S. review? Are cars outside the U.S. possibly quieter? I'm reallt looking forward to getting a V6-5speed, so I hope this isn't a big issue. Nice job with the site, I look forward to hearing your views.[/b]
Welcome aboard, Brillo!

Yes, there were many reviews world-wide that mention the noise. Some made a real problem out of it, but it really isn't a problem. And if you read carefully even those reviews that are bashing the Mazda worst for this, they actually like the car a lot. Just that they wish this could have been better.

Still, when one takes a look at the hard facts, as I set my mind to with this thread, it shows that it really isn't a problem...

Again, welcome aboard and hope you enjoy your stay!:)

·
Registered
35 Posts

Brillo,

What part of Texas are you in? I'm in Austin, TX, and I look forward for the Mazda launch.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

TCWONG,

I'm actually in Houston, but I went to school in Austin so I'm quite fond of it. I think we should have cars ariving at least to demo/look at here in Houston soon, have you gotten an ETA from Mazda in Austin?

·
Registered
22 Posts

Originally posted by Brillo

TCWONG,

I'm actually in Houston, but I went to school in Austin so I'm quite fond of it. I think we should have cars ariving at least to demo/look at here in Houston soon, have you gotten an ETA from Mazda in Austin?[/b]
Hey... fellow Texans :D

Well, I'm from Houston too, but attending school in Austin, so I guess that if Houston gets a demo/look at the Mazda6 soon, I'll have to make that trip over to the Mazda dealer the next time I'm in town...:D

·
Registered
35 Posts

Brillo,

What is ETA? I called both Mazda dealers and left my number to call when the Mazda6 arrived. They expected the 6 arriving sometimes late Oct to Mid Nov. I'm guessing Houston will have the 6 first. I will probably make a trip to Houston for that.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts