Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't really want to replace any components fo the bose system that came with my car, so i'm wondering if anyone has tried building a box around the sub without moving it and if it helps the sound quality/feeling of the bass at all?

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I don't really want to replace any components fo the bose system that came with my car, so i'm wondering if anyone has tried building a box around the sub without moving it and if it helps the sound quality/feeling of the bass at all?
[/b]
no one has built a box around the sub. it should make the bass tighter and more powerful. you'll need at least .3cf

·
Registered
33 Posts
no one has built a box around the sub. it should make the bass tighter and more powerful. you'll need at least .3cf
[/b]
I don't know if a box will help... this sub (I assume) is setup for a free air install, it's the separation of air (front and back of the speaker cone) that helps load the subwoofer for sound.
A box might harm the sound quality. I don't know the specs of this sub, but this is my assumption- and plays true for most "free-air" subs.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did look around all over the forum, and search ... i couldn't find a post that delt with the facrory bose sub and a box. Lots of people installing new subs, or lining their trunk with fiberglass, or some foam and other stuff, but nothing about a box on the existing sub. I'll have to look into weather or not its a free-air sub or not.

ryceboi .... what do you mean by .3cf? I've never built a sub box before ... so i don't really know what it involves. I didn't look into that yet because i wanted to first determine if it would even be worth the effort.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
actually, im sorry, a small sealed enclosure would need more power handling from the sub. currently, it uses the trunk as a sealed enclosure, but since the power level is so low, sound cancellation is eliminated within the trunk. if you were to change out the stock sub and add a sealed enclosure, ud be fine. im going with a 8" ED 9kv.2 which can be either free-air or small sealed enclosure of .3cf, but the nominal handling is 200W. im not sure a 50W sub is enough for a sealed enclosure. ill give it a shot tho since im planning on switching out the sub in the rear deck anyways.

I did look around all over the forum, and search ... i couldn't find a post that delt with the facrory bose sub and a box. Lots of people installing new subs, or lining their trunk with fiberglass, or some foam and other stuff, but nothing about a box on the existing sub. I'll have to look into weather or not its a free-air sub or not.

ryceboi .... what do you mean by .3cf? I've never built a sub box before ... so i don't really know what it involves. I didn't look into that yet because i wanted to first determine if it would even be worth the effort.
[/b]
.3cf (cubic feet) is the interior volume of the box. each sub will recommend an interior volume of a sealed box and a ported box. if you are to build your own box, you would need to calculate the box dimensions as to have the correct interior volume.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts