Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got 2 remotes and a Valet key with our Speed6. And You can go to any reputable Locksmith to get a Key for LESS.
[/b]
Every locksmith I've contacted, both in Dallas and on line, tell me Mazda Dealer only because of programming of the transponder? Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Every locksmith I've contacted, both in Dallas and on line, tell me Mazda Dealer only because of programming of the transponder? Thanks.
[/b]
When i looked into it, the mazda keys have a transponder in it, and from what i have heard, you have to go to the dealer to get a key made.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
When i looked into it, the mazda keys have a transponder in it, and from what i have heard, you have to go to the dealer to get a key made.
[/b]
You have to buy the blank at a dealer or from online (just make sure the seller is reliable.) But you can have it cut anywhere and you can program it yourself as long as you already have two keys.

I wouldn't pay any more than $25 for an unprogrammed cut key and not more than $30 for a programmed one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You have to buy the blank at a dealer or from online (just make sure the seller is reliable.) But you can have it cut anywhere and you can program it yourself as long as you already have two keys.

I wouldn't pay any more than $25 for an unprogrammed cut key and not more than $30 for a programmed one.
[/b]
Where can I get programming instructions? Thanks.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I thought I'd try Lowe's, and they have a blank for the key (just doesn't have the fat head for the chip).

Thought I could get a copy cut, and just use to get in the door (in case I locked my keys in my car), but not actually for starting, because as I understand, that will lock the ignition.

First copy would open the trunk, but not the drivers door.
Second copy wouldn't open either, so I gave up.

Not sure if the dealer would have any more luck, but haven't pursued that for the cost factor.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Did you have someplace in mind that will sell a programmed key for $30.00?
[/b]
No. I came up with the $30 figure because that's what I figure my time is worth. :)

Seriously, if I only had one key I would probably pay whatever it took to get at least one more key so I could program my own. Unfortunately, only a dealer can program a key without access to two already programmed keys. Luckily I have two programmed keys, so I can order a blank or even a cut key and program it myself.

I've seen posts on other forums for other vehicles that claimed local dealer would sell a programmed key for less than $50, but never as low as $30.

Sorry.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I thought I'd try Lowe's, and they have a blank for the key (just doesn't have the fat head for the chip).

Thought I could get a copy cut, and just use to get in the door (in case I locked my keys in my car), but not actually for starting, because as I understand, that will lock the ignition.

First copy would open the trunk, but not the drivers door.
Second copy wouldn't open either, so I gave up.

Not sure if the dealer would have any more luck, but haven't pursued that for the cost factor.
[/b]
I looked at Lowes also and the blank was "close" but not exact. A local locksmith had a flat blank that he copied for me. It was about $3....works perfectly.

This will also allow you to defeat the anti-lockout feature so you can lock your car while its running...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Am I correct in thinking that the 3 button fob with the battery in, remote unlocks the car and controls the alarm. Then separately, the key itself has an imbeded passive (no battery) transponder to operate the imobiliser ???

So you could get a spare fob (you see them cheap on e bay) and reprogram, but you could not get the key from other than a dealer ??

I'm sure that the two devices (key and fob) operate different functions. I notice there is a procedure on the forum for reprogramming, but doesn't actually say if it is programming the key or the fob.

Or have I got it all wrong.

Chris

·
Registered
2 Posts
** TRANSPONDER KEY RE-PROGRAM METHODS ** - as per Mazda 6 Workshop Manual (Gen I & II)

METHOD 1 - When Owner has a minimum of 2 valid keys:

1. Obtain new transponder-equipped key(s) and have them cut by locksmith.
2. Using the first existing 'valid' key, turn ignition to ON position (do not start).
(i) observe the illumination of security light in the instrument cluster
(ii) when security light stops flashing, immediately turn key back to LOCK position (within 2 sec's) and remove key from steering lock assy.

3. Repeat Step 2, with the second (and subsequent) 'valid' keys
4. Repeat Step 2, with new transponder key(s). Note: Maximum 8 keys allowed.
5. Confirm all keys registered can start the engine after reprogram procedure - wait at least 5 seconds before inserting each key.

Note: If an error occurs, confirm which keys can start the engine, then repeat the reprogram procedure from Step 2.
Should one (or more) new key fail to reprogram, then the this key may have a faulty (or invalid) transponder chip.

METHOD 2 - When Owner has only 1 valid key (or no keys):

1. Purchase transponder-equipped key(s) and have it cut.
2. i) Have approved locksmith re-program the 2nd key
or
ii) Have a Dealer perform re-programming procedure (i.e. Security Access)

** FOB/REMOTE PROGRAMming METHOD ** (as per various websites)

1. Remove key from ignition switch.
2. Close all doors.
3a. Open driver’s door.
Carry out the following procedure within 24 seconds:

3b. Optional Step - Lock and Unlock the driver's door using the power lock switch on door panel (some Mazdas do not require this step).

4. Insert key and turn ignition switch ON and back to LOCK position, 3 times (ending in the LOCK position).
5. Close and then open the driver's door 3 times, or operate the door ajar switch (ending with door open).
6. Ensure central locking cycles between lock and unlock (this indicates Fob programming mode).
If not, wait 40 seconds and repeat procedure starting with Step 3a.

7. Press UNLOCK button twice, on each remote/fob transmitter (doors should lock and unlock after each remote operation). If not, proceed as follows:
Open and close driver’s door once.
Ensure doors lock and unlock twice.
If necessary, repeat procedure again starting with Step 3a.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
9 Participants
Scotty in NZ
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing