Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't think there was a topic about this already, if there is shoot me..

What kind of mp3 players are you guys running? Im talking external ones too, not integrated with an aftermarket deck!

Im running a 40GB 4G Ipod with Dension Ice-Link Plus

Reason I even posted, is I got my wife a 2GB Nano this weekend, and damn it owns mine! Im thinking of getting something smaller, or leaving the ipod completly and changing it up to something else..

·
Registered
418 Posts
i just use the mazda mp3 player.... i cant really stand many of the mp3 players out there... i use winamp to play my mp3s on my computer and i keep my singles in one folder and my albums in seprate folders in a mp3 directory.... the thing that i hate about ipods and other mp3 players is how they first try to push their software on you (itunes) and 2ndly how the ipod will organize the music for you no matter what... puts everything into 'albums' so for your single mp3s youll have about 5 albums for the same artist because of different spaces, using a - or a . or _... i just wish there would be a mp3 player where i can drag my mp3 directory onto it and it would keep it in the same structure as i put it..
most people who arent idiots organize their own music on their computer, ipods and other mp3 players arent made for those people

thats why i use the mp3 cd player.... it keeps the mp3s in the folders u specify so u know exactly where everything is

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i'm using the AudioLink-USB with a flash drive. it also serves as a stereo input for my XM. works great; got it from falcontx @ rpm. no complaints.

·
Registered
107 Posts
i just use the mazda mp3 player.... i cant really stand many of the mp3 players out there... i use winamp to play my mp3s on my computer and i keep my singles in one folder and my albums in seprate folders in a mp3 directory.... the thing that i hate about ipods and other mp3 players is how they first try to push their software on you (itunes) and 2ndly how the ipod will organize the music for you no matter what... puts everything into 'albums' so for your single mp3s youll have about 5 albums for the same artist because of different spaces, using a - or a . or _... i just wish there would be a mp3 player where i can drag my mp3 directory onto it and it would keep it in the same structure as i put it..
most people who arent idiots organize their own music on their computer, ipods and other mp3 players arent made for those people

thats why i use the mp3 cd player.... it keeps the mp3s in the folders u specify so u know exactly where everything is
[/b]
That's odd because my Ipod (and I imagine every other Ipod) organizes songs by album, artist, and song title. You are not locked into one specific sort. On my Ipod, I select the play by SONG and select shuffle.

Also, you don't even have to install Itunes. There are several alternatives to Itunes including plugins for your much lauded Winamp.

I really don't think you know what you are talking about.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i've got a creative nomad zen Xtra 40gig.
i love it, and am dying to get this thing hooked up in the 6.
aux mod is the best way for me right?....i dont care about USB, i just want the aux in for MP3, and sirius, and movies on the laptop.

i love my MP3 player because it doubles as an external harddrive, which is cool for tranferring files if need be.

i can;t live without it in the car much longer. :tear:

-Fusion_

·
Registered
418 Posts
ouch.... sorting by artist was an example... either way the automatic sort is retarted.. you cant sort your songs by folders that u create... bad attempt at a flame by the way

·
Registered
233 Posts
you just have to rename all your id3 tags and it works nicely. i keep all my full albums separate and for all my various stuff i just have all of their albums as -- Various Artists -- so the asorted stuff is all together.

oh and i use 60gig ipod and ipod audio link from rpm

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
i've got a 20GB iriver H10. I love it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
ouch.... sorting by artist was an example... either way the automatic sort is retarted.. you cant sort your songs by folders that u create... bad attempt at a flame by the way
[/b]
It was not an attempt to flame - just inform. Case and point, I'm responding. You can sort your files based on playlists that you create. You can add several different playlists that you name and you control. The Ipod also has an "on the go" feature where you can actually create playlists just by using the Ipod without a PC and the software usually required to create a playlist. Like I said, you should really check out what you are dissing before making assumptions. All the functionality you say the Ipod lacks is actually there. The Apple Ipod is one of, if not the best rated players on the market. In terms of sound quality, functionality, appearance...etc, it is a great device.

·
Registered
947 Posts
It was not an attempt to flame - just inform. Case and point, I'm responding. You can sort your files based on playlists that you create. You can add several different playlists that you name and you control. The Ipod also has an "on the go" feature where you can actually create playlists just by using the Ipod without a PC and the software usually required to create a playlist. Like I said, you should really check out what you are dissing before making assumptions. All the functionality you say the Ipod lacks is actually there. The Apple Ipod is one of, if not the best rated players on the market. In terms of sound quality, functionality, appearance...etc, it is a great device.
[/b]
X2
*travis*

When I read your post, I agree'd that I hated the way they based the imput of the songs, but it is so easy to just put a folder in my 'My Music' folder and then import the entire folder into itunes and then *here's the kicker* PUT THEM IN A PLAYLIST! If you creat a playlist for each folder you have created, it can be the easiest unit to use!

Plus as 'Smearbrick' brought out, the 'On the go' feature is AWESOME!! I can just go through any playlist I want, and easily create a whole new playlist right from the ipod!

·
Registered
418 Posts
i dont have an ipod, i HAD creative zen and returned it when i realized it was setup just like an ipod, yet i have used many ipods.... the point i made, and the feature i do not like about them is that they sort your files if u want them to or not.... i dont want apple to put my music in catagories and i dont want to have to create playlists, i want a mp3 player that is a basic hard drive and will display the mp3s in the way they are in the file structure that i have created (such as winamp). I am assuming that 90% of you that enjoy the ipods sorting and 'on the go' stuff use itunes or windows media player or even the winamp library thing as your mp3 player on your computer...

you can tell me every feature the ipod has, and im sure i know about it, but you cannot tell me it has the feature to drag my whole mp3 folder onto it and it will keep the file structure and display it in appropiate order when i want to play mp3s on the ipod (new stuff first, mp3 singles, full albums, then mixtapes) and if u can... i will most likely buy whatever mp3 player that can do this, but until then im sticking with mp3 cds where i can keep my folders and access mp3s like a computer, not a gay 'idiot friendly' system like the current mp3 players

What millonater said is the closest to what id want, except i dont want to have to rename a few thousand mp3 id3 tags... and from what hes saying (i think) you cannot go to the songs and have ALL your mp3s on display and have them ordered like winamp would... u would have to choose a album and only those song would be displayed

i attatched a pic of how winamp looks... notice how all my albums are listed out in consectutive order

that is what i want from a mp3 player without the hassle of renaming id3 tags or creative tons of playlists... at the top all my single mp3s are listed in alpha order until Z then the full albums start...

not sure why u all are takin this personal.... most mp3 players sort your music for you cause they think its what u want... i was in a way wanting someone to come at me and be like 'no ______'s mp3 player lets u add your file structure' and i probably would be buying this mp3 player if they were right

Attachments

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Well, the time you put into sorting your file structure when you burn your cd, you could use to make a playlist. Most often, when you burn a cd, you have to move them around yourself, unelss you have named them in a way that they will be sorted in a system file folder, which is an alphabetical order. When you go to burn them and you hit "add files" or whatever to make yourself an Mp3 cd, they will be in alphabetical order which you then probably toss around to make a cd.

itunes does let you turn off file filtering and sorting. Trust me i fought it hard, as im an anti Mac person, lol for more reasons then one. I still use both.. ANYWAY.. I guess i just dont see why you would go to such great lenghts to sort the files by hand for each mp3 cd, and not to make a playlist which is as simple as drag and drop with itunes. You can even make "smart" playlists which will add any new song that fits the parameters you set (album date, artist, lenght, whatever) into the play list. So say you want to listen to all your songs that were released in 2005 or all your 80s or all your country music (lol), just make a smart playlist and set your criteria, etc etc. Then every time you add songs to your "collection" they will get put into the appropirate playlists automatically.

Ofcourse, you can choose to turn off any sorting to begin with and keep your own, but i have done both for a long time and now find it 100x easier to lt it handle it then fight it every step of the way. And yes i had counltess "oddly named" mp3 files everything from cd rips called mp3song1.mp3 to 19823084.mp3. You go through and name everything the right way once, and youll be much happier when you need to find something.

Anyway, im not flaming and i hope it doesnt sound that way, just trying to show some alternatives. I too have no clue what all you can do or how you do it, but i do unerstand where you are coming from as I had a hard time making a switch as well. Anyhow... happy listening.

Hmm, i just read your post above. Yeah i think you will have to switch to itunes or adapt its sorting system for winamp simply because you want those features, and because winamp does not offer them. Anyway, hope you find what you are lookin for.

And, if you just want a non sorting player for car, id go with a basic USB flash drive and use the USB interface for your car. But obviously, this is a car solution only. The USB maker (cant think of the name right now) claim any flash drive with mp3s in the folders will play the mp3s in root folder first, then make its way down your directory structure.

Now, in iTunes (which you want because it transfers everyting to your ipod), to make your playlist look like the one in winamp, dont worry about sorting ID3 tags to somethign they are not.. pft.

Make a new playlist.. then just drag into it the albums you want to be part of it, and it will look just like that. You will have to make sure the id tags have the correct information in the would be the only problem, but if winamp shows them like that, then they already probably do.

·
Registered
418 Posts
its just the way ive always had my music.... i have a mp3 folder c:\mp3\ and in that folder i have all my singles that i download off limewire or dc++.... in the \mp3\ folder i have a folder called c:\mp3\zz Full Albums\ where i have all the full albums, each album is in its own folder and numerically ordered, most the time when u download albums as .rar or .tar or torrents this is done by the rippers.... there is no effort in keeping this fole structure... im guessing most of you all throw all your mp3s into 1 folder and have it all out of order

when i make a mp3 cd it takes no effort.... i drag the folders of the albums i want on the mp3 cd.. then i add the singles i want and leave them in the root directory.... since the albums are in folders named already, the singles play first and if i hit disc up, it will go to the first album

would like to add this discussion is completely off topic..... and just seen your post... and thats the solution i figured id have to do, get an external hd and get a touch screen... too much money to blow for right now, maybe after the EE degree (hance the matlab7 folder)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Ah, so that’s what you are fighting, the directory structure.

Well think of it this way. From this point on, you don’t worry about your file structure. You will have a folder called "My Music" and one called "unsorted" right... Download, rip, whatever everything you have into unsorted. Get itunes and let it then add everything to your collection to "My Music".

From this point ON, stop worrying what everything looks like and how its sorted in "My Music". Let itunes put it into its own albums, who cares. Think of this folder as your music repository, your database of music. You never care how data is stored in a database, just how its displayed.

Anyway, you will then have itunes sort it all for you on the other side, pull what you want to listen to and all that stuff. You wont have to bother with the raw file structure anymore, just with the song names from the 'other' side. Since you will think of your mp3 file group as a database you, will use itunes to display it on your end how you want to see it and how you want it to be played in any order, etc etc via playlists and not worry about what the structure looks like on your computer, since you wont be going to "file add" data to individual folders.

Every time then you add more stuff, just add it from the "unsorted" folder, and again let itunes categorize and "file" it into the database, then delete it from the unsorted folder. This way you keep 1 copy of your "sorted" music but are not worrying how its all categorized. If your ID3 tags are correct, you will get the correct albums and only 1 copy. You can always change this if you see that they are wrong of for mp3s that do not have album data.

I hope this makes sense, but if you let it do all the work for you you’ll find it much easier to keep everything organized and in the end you will stop caring how it looks in the "database" end.

EDIT: Spell check, lol

·
Registered
418 Posts
i guess thanks for the advise, but i have no desire to switch to itunes, winamp has that feature of sorting files like this on the newest versions... there is really no work involved in keeping it how i have it, my downloads off limewire go to the \!! New shit !!\ folder (the !!'s make it be at the top), if the downloads are quality and not wack mp3s like limewire is full of, i move them to mp3 or keep em in new stuff so i know what to add to my newest mp3 cd.
When i download an album... i extract the folder and then move it to the \zz full albums\ folder (zz's keep it at the bottom) and whenever i want to update winamp it takes 3 clicks to reload the whole c:\mp3\ folder

i think it must be a computer person thing because it seems like all the people ive met thru EE have almost the exact same setup..

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a _incoming_ folder (so its at the top as well) that I throw all my new downloaded albums in, and then I sort them into rap, electronic, or rock. I recently started using my Ipod again and have found out that there are plugins for winamp now that support making playlists for the Ipod, so im looking into all that.

What I do for my Mp3 player is just drag full albums into Itunes, it sorts it as is.. leaving all the tracks in order, so I have an assload of full albums just there, and I create playlists from those albums to listen to in the car or anywhere else...

[attachmentid=12650]

Attachments

·
Registered
418 Posts
so if in winamp i saved the 'playlist', which is all of my mp3s sorted how ive been saying, and i put this playlist onto an ipod, it would work like how ive been wanting? it would list every mp3 i have in order from new stuff, singles, then all the full albums??

i guess this would use the winamp support software, because the playlist would be looking for mp3s in different folders, and ipods dont use folders (to my knowledge)...

i recall one of my friends saying ipod started supporting winamp, but he was mistaken and said that u could format the ipod to work like winamp... he was wrong about that so i stoped researchin once i realized that

·
Registered
107 Posts
You would have to create your playlist in Winamp using the Ipod plugin. I don't think that an Ipod supports M3U playlists. Then again, they may.

If you were to browse an Ipod (with hidden files shown) you would notice that everything is in folders in subfolders instead of one big mass of files.

I store my music files in one folder called F:/WMA. Under this folder I h ave a directory for each artist. Under each artist is a sub-directory for each album. Mp3/WMA/AAC files that are not part of an entire album get thrown in the F:/WMA/MISC folder. Except for the Billboard collection (20GB by itself) which is in a folder called F:/WMA/Billboard. This folder contains sub-directories for different years.

I have my entire CD collection on hard disk. I back it up about every 5 months onto DVD. I backed every CD up as 128 WMA, but with current disk sizes, I wish I would have used 256. Maybe that will be my project for Winter 2006/07.

Anyone else have their entire collection backed up?

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Oh man... I completely agree with Travis on this one. I like everything segregated in folders and don't want some program/player sorting it for me...

Especially with the Creative ones (I have 2 - Zen Xtra, Zen Micro), you have to also change the mp3 tags with my Zen Xtra to arrange it properly; and the Zen micro for some stupid shit reason arranges an album ALPHABETICALLY not by track number or through the tag info which I can't change on the Zen Micro. I have tried the ipod, but just simply hated it more than the Creative ones.

Then again, I am slightly OC, which is why I require everything organized the way I want them to in my own sorting style and in separate folders.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
11 Participants
BangHatch
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing