Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just bought my Mazda 6 Touring 2016 fl model. Is it possible to upgrade front and back by replacing it with GT headlights, front bumper and taillights? Its not the first time this question is posted in this forum, but does anyone done that successfully?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm guessing at the very least the wire harnesses probably have different connectors because of having different bulbs. Did the 16's have the adaptive lighting feature on the GTs where the beams angle when you turn? If so, then there might be more differences in the harnesses than just the connectors. Do the LED headlights have leveling motors like factory HID's have? If so, that's another difference to deal with.

I'd go with, "possible, but probably not simple or cheap." With enough time and money, you could surely make the conversion. Just a matter of how much it's worth to you to make that happen. Personally, if I felt I needed it that badly, I'd have just kept shopping until I found a GT model that already had them equipped. I know that doesn't help you much now that you've already got the car, but it might have been the cheaper way to go. If you want an upgrade from halogens, it sounds like your best bet for a not-too-ridiculous cost would be to find an HID conversion kit. Careful with those, though. I've read plenty of horror stories of melted or scorched harnesses or housings and they also don't include any way to level the beams like a factory HID light has. This is required by law for street-legal vehicles in some places, but anecdotally I've never heard of anyone getting busted on it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did some research yesturday. What I know so far that I would need leveling sensor, afs unit, angle sensor and reprogram OCM. Getting external parts its not an issue for me, but I am little bit worried about the cost of sensors and afs unit. I cant find it listed online.

If you need to install GT headlights in to Touring model, you need to replace front bumper. Is it enough? And is it the same with the taillights?

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Hello,

I just bought my Mazda 6 Touring 2016 fl model. Is it possible to upgrade front and back by replacing it with GT headlights, front bumper and taillights? Its not the first time this question is posted in this forum, but does anyone done that successfully?
This is something I've been thinking about a lot. In theory, it shouldn't be too complex. Replace the headlights and bumper together with the GT package. Use an HID kit with a proper harness to fit the bulbs in, and wah-lah, you have your GT front end on the cheap. Getting the high beams to work would be another story, and would be done in one of two ways: custom wiring harness to go from the headlight, to the OEM high beam wiring, to power, or a projector retrofit to replace the projector in the GT headlight and follow a similar wiring plan. All in all, it can be done, it'll just take time and money. However, there's no reason one can't splice and dice their connectors to get everything to fit properly and work as intended. You won't have auto leveling or the turn in abilities, but who really needs those anyways?

Taillights should be plug and play, but I haven't been able to confirm it yet. No one will let me get my hands on their GT taillights :p

·
Registered
782 Posts
There's also a question of whether the front fenders are the same between the GT and lower spec trims. The corner of the headlights looks to be a different shape, so you'll likely be doing custom bodywork or replacing the front fenders. All in all, by the time you add up all of the work and associated costs, you should have just bought a GT to begin with.

Having said that, I don't know why you'd want to bother with this downgrade. The Sport/Touring front end looks better IMO, and it's going to be a lot of work for very little gain.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All in all, it can be done, it'll just take time and money. However, there's no reason one can't splice and dice their connectors to get everything to fit properly and work as intended. You won't have auto leveling or the turn in abilities, but who really needs those anyways?

Taillights should be plug and play, but I haven't been able to confirm it yet. No one will let me get my hands on their GT taillights :p
Thank you for your answer! You are so right. I don't know why I thought I would need all those sensors for LED to work. I don't need auto levelling and other stuff. Theoretically, I can wire same halogen power source to LED light, and it should work, right?

About taillights, if its not plug and play, I could use same theory as with headlights. But do they fit in Touring model?

Fenders.. Are they different? Can anyone confirm? And the hood, does it fit with GT bumper?

Also lights switch is different, but I need to change it anyways.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found a car electrician, who successfully connected headlights, taillights and fog lights to Touring model. He made it happen with all the sensors, so AFS was working fine. And confirmed for me, that it can be done without all sensors, but of course AFS will not work. Sadly, he was only involved in electrical part of the process, so he did not know anything about body parts needed to fit everything.

Could someone help me to identify external parts needed for this upgrade to happen. So far I know that front bumper, grills are different. What about other parts: hood, fenders, rear bumper, trunk, rear fenders?

·
Registered
492 Posts
If you want oem 2016 GT headlights you will need to replace the front bumper, headlights, grill

There are replica 2016 GT headlights that a forum
Member sells that will fit non-GT 2016 models.

I had aftermarket 2016 GT style taillights on my 15 and they fit fine. 95% plug and play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
886 Posts
lol it would too expensive and too much work, would it even work? Not worth it, not to mention, those GT headlights are expensive as hell

Just to transform your touring into a GT headlights, it would cost you in the thousands, assuming is even possible

Why bother when you can just get the imitation headlight for $500

1 - 12 of 12 Posts