Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to know what works good on your sixes. I have black exterior, witht he sports rims. I want to know what the best drying cloth is (one that wont scratch or swirll the paint); whats a good wax to use, and what are you all using to clean the rims. I don't really mind if the application is time consuming, i just want a shiny exterior that lasts atleast a week.

Frank

·
Registered
218 Posts
Reading Topic: Exterior Detailing

Yeah, I have the same question for my Steel Gray 6. I've been doing some research online. I have used Meguiars wax in the past but the reports I've read seem to indicate there are better ones. I found a report on Consumer Reports website from May 2000. For a shiny finish, they recommended either Zymol Cleaner Wax liquid and Nu Finish Car Polish paste. They liked the shine of these but they didn't clean as good as other polishes and the Zymol product didn't last very long while the Nu Finish tended to scratch and haze on dark colors.

So, I'm a bit confused on which I should get. They didn't list Liquid Glass on their ratings and I've seen quite a few posts here with people liking that product. Perhaps that is one I should try? Is that good for a dark colored car like mine?

For dark cars, CR recommended using one that got high marks for not scratching/hazing as that is more noticeable on dark colored cars. The top products that scored high here are: Zymol Cleaner Wax, 3M One Step Cleaner Wax and Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell Car Wax.

The Zymol product looks good (good scores for scratching/hazing, high shine and easy of use) but it doesn't last long and doesn't clean the best. I think if I use it with a cleaner first it would be very good. I'd have to wax more often than with one of the others but it'll look better.

Opinions?

·
Registered
492 Posts

The Consumer Report listed TR3 Resin Glaze, which I suspect is the same thing as Liquid Glass...

For towel, just make sure you use 100% terry cotton cloth, but again I recommend the Absorber to dry.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Exterior Detailing'

I have used both Zymol and Nu-finish and although nice at first, I don't think they lasted very long. I'm now using Liquid Glass and love this stuff ! Very nice gloss finish and no signs of failing yet. I'm amazed at how small the beads of water are bouncing off in the rain.

Over the years I have waxed my Harley with just about every wax made (well almost) and Liquid Glass is by far the nicest product I've used. :D Should be around $17.00 give or take a buck. Well worth it...:D

·
Registered
142 Posts

yeah i have black and i use liquid glass too, never used the stuff before about a month ago and man is it great. It was like 15 buckss at autozone, a bit pricey but worth it.

i used to use terri cloth towels to dry my car and wipe it off but they leave alot of dust behind, and with black thats a big pain, so i have these new no-lint towels that work great

another great thing about the liquid glass, if your car gets dirty after the wax is on, you can easily wipe the car clean with mequires quick detailer, ive done that a few times, takes like 20 mins to wipe down the car and it looks like you spent hours washing it

·
Registered
2,617 Posts

so can i get a really deep glassy(is this a word....ah who cares) finish on my glacier silver 6?

·
Registered
878 Posts

Originally posted by oakfan52

so can i get a really deep glassy(is this a word....ah who cares) finish on my glacier silver 6?[/b]
I have :D

·
Registered
218 Posts

Originally posted by Lex2Maz
            The Consumer Report listed TR3 Resin Glaze, which I suspect is the same thing as Liquid Glass...[/b]
Hmm..is there another report? The one I'm looking at online doesn't list anyting like that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

So Liquid Glass for the wax, but what do you all use to dry? I don't like terry cloths really, they leave dust behind like Racerx said. What are the no lint towels called? Thanks for your input by the way fellas...

Frank

·
Registered
218 Posts

Also, what do you all like to use to wash the car? Sponge? Cotton mit? Terry cloth towel?

I was thinking of getting a cotton mit but then I read someone say they can leave swirls (especially on dark colors).

·
Registered
492 Posts

Shadow, this is the Consumer Report I found that has the wax review... http://mazda6club.com/forums/read.php?TID=6182

Some people are using "microfiber" towels on their car...they are supposed to be lint and swirl/scratch free. I get them from my optometrist to wipe my eye glasses.

The wash mitt I use is wool...so far no scratches and does a fine job cleaning.

For Liquid Glass users, does LG remove swirl marks?

·
Registered
142 Posts

yeah i use a wool wash mitt as well

as for drying i use a chamois, seems to work the best

for wax removal i have these finishing cloths, they are 100% cotten and lint free, got them at target, they work great with the quick detailer too

as for the liquid glassremoving swirl marks, i had a few marks on my hood, and i can hardly notice them now, i think it does a great job, gonna apply a freah coat tomorrow, ill get some ppics afterwards

·
Registered
878 Posts

Terry cloth to wash with, I use it once and toss it. Cost me $3.oo for a pack of three.

Chamois to dry with

Liquid Glass to finish with terry cloth

·
Registered
492 Posts

Originally posted by Shadow

Thanks for the link Lex2Maz. When was that report done?[/b]
Holy cow...I just realized the copy right date: 1994! That's really outdated...sorry! There is a good chances that some of the waxes have been reformulated or improved...

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Exterior Detailing

Here is what I use... Most of this stuff I got from Target so bear with me.. :)

2 wash buckets.
1 wash mitt, 100% cotten
1 wash mitt, wool
1 bone-shaped bug and tar remover sponge (THIS IS AWESOME!)
1 Meguiars Gold class wash soap
1 Meguiars Gold class wax
1 Zymol spray deatiler (this sucked IMHO)
1 Meguiars wheel cleaner
1 Meguiars leather wipes
1 Rain-X window wipes
1 chamois
several packs of lint-free, 100% cotten and polishing towels

Thats really the basic ones that I can remember off the top of my head... I am waiting on getting some MF towels here soon...

·
Registered
10 Posts

I use Mequires Gold for my wax, and I use old hanes t-shirts to take it off. Works great for me. Never have had any problems with any of my vehicles.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts