Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! First posting to the group. I have an '07 6i on order, due to arrive in Jan. Would like to know how many of you purchased the Mazda extended warranty and if you have enough miles on your car to have had to use it. Is it worth it?

Also, have any of you purchased an extended warranty outside of Mazda? Any opinions on your experiences would be of great use!

Thanks and looking forward to being an active part of this group!

Chris
'91 626
'99 Miata

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I have a third party extended warranty. So far I have not had to use it. I cannot vouch for either the Mazda or third party warranties for the 6.

Short answer:
If you don't ever need the extended warranty it is not worth the cost. If you do need it and it's for something major, it's more than worth the cost. Of course, it also depends on the type of warranty - full coverage, partial coverage, power train only.

Long answer:
I have had extended warranties on all my vehicles since the late 80's. So far the score stands at 1 worth the money, 2 weren't worth the money because I never used them. And I had 1 where I used the warranty, but the total cost of the repair was slightly less than the cost of the warranty - although still quite a bit of money. This does not include two current extended warranties that are still active and may or may not be worth what I paid before their expiration.
I also "inherited" the extended warranty on still another vehicle and could have used it for a repair, but ended up having it done by my mechanic and not putting in a claim - which was a big mistake after it was all said and done.

Total cost so far? About even with covered repair costs vs. warranty costs being about equal (that one car was a monster when it came to repairs!) This includes the current warranties on the two vehicles I still own, which as I said may or may not pay off in the long run.

Look at it like insurance. If you need it it's great and if you don't need it then it was a waste. Just make sure you fully understand what it does and does not cover before paying for it.

·
Registered
2017 MZ6 GT Jet Black Mica
3,575 Posts
I have a Mazda extended warranty that I got from a dealershiip located in CT. It's www.authorizedFordWarranties.com on the web. I got the Total Care, 6/100k $100 deductible and it was less than $900.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bought a easycare extended warrenty and my car only a year ago. I need a new trans and engine and they wont pay for it because i changed my own oil and they have no recipts with milage on it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Extended warranties are a waste of money and why deductibles? that sucks if it had deductibles for any exteneded warranty only than it would sound good. But you have to pay more for no deductibles oh well

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I bought a easycare extended warrenty and my car only a year ago. I need a new trans and engine and they wont pay for it because i changed my own oil and they have no recipts with milage on it.
[/b]
Was this a new car purchase? If so, unless you put a lot of mileage on your car you aren't even into the extended warranty yet. If it was a used car that was out of the original manufacturer's warranty, then the used car 'extended' warranty will apply...

Try going to another dealer - assuming it's a Mazda warranty - they may not require the same proof this one is looking for. If it's a third party warranty, call the company and see who will honor it.

Even for the regular manufacturer's warranty you should keep receipts and note the mileage for your oil changes. I copy my receipts, print the date and mileage on the copy and staple it into my warranty book so I have proof of my oil changes. I do the same with any other maintenance item that requires more than a visual inspection.

·
Registered
2017 MZ6 GT Jet Black Mica
3,575 Posts
Extended warranties are a waste of money and why deductibles? that sucks if it had deductibles for any exteneded warranty only than it would sound good. But you have to pay more for no deductibles oh well
[/b]
Parts fail though, and those parts are expensive sometimes. If you get an aftermarket extended warranty, usually they're a waste of money. However, the factory ones are pretty good. I got my 6/100k warranty for less than $900 so I'm happy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts