Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone out there own an extended warranty policy on their 6?

These are the policies you pay a price ( ~$1000 ) for and when your car's factory warranty expires, it'll cover repairs for your car - deductible. They're supposed to cover bumper to bumper and even any and all mechanical problems if you sign up for the premium plans.

Reading over these sites makes it sound too good to be true, so I'm wondering if anyone out there has experiences with these online extended warranties?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Extended warranties'

In general terms, these warranties are never worth the money.

The majority are offered by 3rd parties who simply make money by playing the odds that the cost of the repairs will be less than the money they earn from the sale of the warranties.

The only way you are going to have any chance of 'winning' is if you buy a real lemon. Most cars today will go 100,000 miles without having any significant problems as long as you maintain them properly...and the warranty does not cover normal maintenance (oil, lube, brakes, tires, etc.).

My advice would be to spend the $1000 on lottery tickets or Vegas, you will probably still spend the $1000 but you will have a whole lot more fun!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Replying to Topic 'Extended warranties'

Just came across this site and it stated a few reasons why not to buy from a dealer ...

What do you guys think of what the author is saying?

www.carbuyingtips.com

·
Registered
286 Posts
Reading Topic: Extended warranties

I got my extended warranty on my mazda 6s through my dealership. It was $1100 and no deductible if i take to that dealer for any warranty work. I normally dont purchase extended warranties but i drive 120 miles a day and felt it was justified. Just check out a dealer and see what their policies are.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts

I've never gotten my money back out of an extended warranty, which is good, I guess, my cars dont blow up. Most of the problems though usually occured within the factory warranty, then when its almost time for the waranty to run out a start making a list of everysqueak, rattle etc. and have it all checked out before its up. Plus some of the things that did go wrong during the extended warranty (on my last vehicle) were items that I wanted to upgrade for performance anyway, but thought, I paid for the warranty I'm using it. Repairs didnt even equal 1/2 of the cost of the warranty $600 to cover from 36k-60k, and it was in the shop quite a bit at 50 bucks a pop.

·
Registered
286 Posts

Mine is 5yr/100,000 in case you wanted that bit of information.

·
Registered
895 Posts

We get a 4yr 50K standard, so you paid $1100 for an extra year of warranty? IMO, not worth it. Keep that money in a CD for four years and it'll turn into $1500. Then use that to fix whatever may break.

My dealer quoted me 3yrs/100K mi for $1200 ($50 deductible) and I said no. I plan on modding this car eventually, and extended warranties have never, ever been a good thing for me. It's like my cars/TVs/stereos/toasters just KNOW to wait until one month past whenever the warranty expires to start breaking.

They know.

·
Registered
286 Posts

Like i said previously i far exceed mileage than in the year category. I have had my car for two months and i am almost up to 7,000 miles. I am not a fan of them either but i dont want to take any chances and i have plenty of money already in cd's and annuities.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts